New metallic structure may be stable at ambient temperature and pressure with potential applications in science and technology
A theoretical, three-dimensional (3D) form of carbon that is metallic under ambient temperature and pressure has been discovered by an international research team.
The findings, which may significantly advance carbon science, are published online in the Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Carbon science is a field of intense research. Not only does carbon form the chemical basis of life, but it has rich chemistry and physics, making it a target of interest to material scientists. From graphite to diamond to Buckminster fullerenes, nanotubes and graphene, carbon can display in a range of structures.
But the search for a stable three-dimensional form of carbon that is metallic under ambient conditions, including temperature and pressure, has remained an ongoing challenge for scientists in the field.
Researchers from Peking University, Virginia Commonwealth University and Shanghai Institute of Technical Physics employed state-of-the-art theoretical methods to show that it is possible to manipulate carbon to form a three-dimensional metallic phase with interlocking hexagons.
“The interlocking of hexagons provides two unique features – hexagonal arrangement introduces metallic character, and the interlocking form with tetrahedral bonding guarantees stability,” said co-lead investigator Puru Jena, Ph.D., distinguished professor of physics in the VCU College of Humanities and Sciences.
The right combination of these properties could one day be applied to a variety of technologies.
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
[google_news title=”” keyword=”3-dimensional carbon” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
- Roadblocks and speed limits: Geoscientists study Alaska's Denali faulton June 6, 2023 at 1:47 pm
The 1,200-mile-long Denali Fault stretches in an upward arc from southwestern Alaska and the Bering Sea eastward to western Canada's Yukon Territory and British Columbia. The long-lived and active ...
- Big Tree Commences Ogoki Crown Forest Carbon Assessmenton June 6, 2023 at 5:44 am
TORONTO, ON / ACCESSWIRE / June 6, 2023 / Big Tree Carbon Inc. (the 'Company' or 'Big Tree') (TSXV:BIGT) wishes to advise that the Company has ...
- Here's everything Apple just announced: Vision Pro headset, iOS 17, the 15-inch MacBook Air and moreon June 5, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Apple unveiled its Vision Pro headset and announced iOS 17 for iPhone, new Macs and more at WWDC 2023. Tune in to our live blog.
- Is lab-grown meat the future of sustainable and ethical food production?on June 5, 2023 at 12:34 am
Lab-grown meat is a groundbreaking invention that offers a sustainable and ethical solution to the challenges of a growing global population.
- Carbon Nanotubes Global Market to 2028: Rising Demand in Electrical, Electronics & Semiconductor Applications Drives Growthon May 31, 2023 at 6:10 pm
are one dimensional allotropes of carbon made by rolled-up sheets of single-layer carbon atoms (graphene). Carbon nanotubes are composed of carbon atoms linked in hexagonal shapes, with each carbon ...
- You can make carbon dioxide filters with a 3D printeron May 31, 2023 at 9:37 am
In a new study, North Carolina State University researchers demonstrated that it's possible to make carbon dioxide capture filters using 3-D printing. Specifically, they printed a hydrogel material ...
- World's first thermoplastic composite wheel: polyetherimide/carbon fiber combinationon May 30, 2023 at 5:00 pm
"Combining Sabic's high-performance Ultem resin with Kringlan's proprietary three-dimensional manufacturing technology for carbon composites offers OEMs the opportunity for reduced weight, lower ...
- Stellantis invests in lithium-sulfur EV battery startup Lytenon May 26, 2023 at 7:37 am
Stellantis is backing Lyten, a Silicon Valley startup that employs 3-D graphene, a "supermaterial," to create smaller, more dense lithium-sulfur EV batteries.
- Boom Supersonic has a contract for carbon-neutral fuel for its Overture passenger jeton May 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
But Dimensional Energy uses carbon dioxide in “proprietary technology,” and the ... but it’s sufficient to get passengers from New York to London in 3.5 hours, the company says. Boom suggests that its ...
- User of SHMFF reveals the structure-property relationship of two-dimensional amorphous carbonon April 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
In amorphous materials, the arrangement of atoms has no long-range order and the internal atoms cannot be directly observed, leading to the puzzle of its three-dimensional atomic structure ...
via Bing News