New metallic structure may be stable at ambient temperature and pressure with potential applications in science and technology
A theoretical, three-dimensional (3D) form of carbon that is metallic under ambient temperature and pressure has been discovered by an international research team.
The findings, which may significantly advance carbon science, are published online in the Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Carbon science is a field of intense research. Not only does carbon form the chemical basis of life, but it has rich chemistry and physics, making it a target of interest to material scientists. From graphite to diamond to Buckminster fullerenes, nanotubes and graphene, carbon can display in a range of structures.
But the search for a stable three-dimensional form of carbon that is metallic under ambient conditions, including temperature and pressure, has remained an ongoing challenge for scientists in the field.
Researchers from Peking University, Virginia Commonwealth University and Shanghai Institute of Technical Physics employed state-of-the-art theoretical methods to show that it is possible to manipulate carbon to form a three-dimensional metallic phase with interlocking hexagons.
“The interlocking of hexagons provides two unique features – hexagonal arrangement introduces metallic character, and the interlocking form with tetrahedral bonding guarantees stability,” said co-lead investigator Puru Jena, Ph.D., distinguished professor of physics in the VCU College of Humanities and Sciences.
The right combination of these properties could one day be applied to a variety of technologies.
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
via Google News
The Latest on: 3-dimensional carbon
- Zeolite oxygen concentrators: chemistry in three dimensionson October 16, 2021 at 8:25 am
At the heart of this technology are synthetic frameworks of silica and alumina with nanometer-sized pores that are rigid and inflexible ...
- BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine Iconic Edition launched at starting price of Rs 53.5 lakhon October 14, 2021 at 8:56 pm
The exterior body design of the new Iconic Edition is marked by a large BMW Iconic Glow Kidney Grille and LED headlights with extended features.
- Exotic magnetic states in miniature dimensionson October 14, 2021 at 8:51 pm
Led by scientists at Empa and the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory, an international team of researchers from Switzerland, Portugal, Germany, and Spain have succeeded in building ca ...
- Huawei Launches GreenSite and PowerStar2.0 to Help Build Green, Low-Carbon 5G Networkson October 14, 2021 at 7:47 am
Dubai, the UAE, October 14, 2021] At the 2020 Global Mobile Broadband Forum (MBBF), At the 2021 Global Mobile Broadband Forum (MBBF), Aaron Jiang, President of Huawei's SRAN Product Line, launched the ...
- Crafting a 'sponge' for adsorbing and desorbing gas moleculeson October 13, 2021 at 10:09 am
A group of researchers have created an unusual material -- a soft crystal made of molecules known as a catenanes-- that behaves in a novel way that could be used in applications such as films that ...
- Crafting a “sponge” for adsorbing and desorbing gas moleculeson October 13, 2021 at 8:08 am
Up until now, chains of catenanes—known as polycatenanes—have been created, but scientists have never explored three-dimensional crystals ... gas molecules such as carbon dioxide simply ...
- A 'sponge' for adsorbing and desorbing gas moleculeson October 13, 2021 at 8:00 am
A group of researchers led by scientists from the RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science and the University of Tokyo has created an unusual material—a soft crystal made of molecules known as a ...
- Researchers convert spent asphalt to mesoporous carbon anode material for Li/Na/K-ion batterieson October 7, 2021 at 2:46 am
Researchers at Changsha University of Science & Technology in China have used spent asphalt to produce a high-performance universal Li/Na/K-ion anode material. A paper on their work is published in ...
- Growing Application Industries Worldwide to Provide Huge Growth Prospectus for Carbon Fiber Filament Market: Fact.MR Reporton October 6, 2021 at 5:48 pm
Growing Application Industries Worldwide to Provide Huge Growth Prospectus for Carbon Fiber Filament Market FactMR Report ...
- This Company Makes Jet Fuel From Water, Sunlight And CO2on October 5, 2021 at 3:01 am
Dimensional Energy is one of Elemental Excelerator's latest companies and is considering developing a renewable fuel facility in Hawaii, its chief executive says.
via Bing News