A British company has demonstrated a prototype device capable of stopping cars and other vehicles using a blast of electromagnetic waves.
The RF Safe-Stop uses radio frequency pulses to “confuse” a vehicle’s electronic systems, cutting its engine.
E2V is one of several companies trying to bring such a product to market.
It said it believed the primary use would be as a non-lethal weapon for the military to defend sensitive locations from vehicles refusing to stop.
There has also been police interest.
The BBC was given a demonstration of the device at Throckmorton Airfield, in Worcestershire.
Deputy Chief Constable Andy Holt, of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), who has evaluated the tech, said the machine had “potential, but it’s very early days yet”.
At one end of a disused runway, E2V assembled a varied collection of second-hand cars and motorbikes in order to test the prototype against a range of vehicles.
In demonstrations seen by the BBC a car drove towards the device at about 15mph (24km/h).
As the vehicle entered the range of the RF Safe-stop, its dashboard warning lights and dials behaved erratically, the engine stopped and the car rolled gently to a halt. Digital audio and video recording devices in the vehicle were also affected.
“It’s a small radar transmitter,” said Andy Wood, product manager for the machine.
“The RF [radio frequency] is pulsed from the unit just as it would be in radar, it couples into the wiring in the car and that disrupts and confuses the electronics in the car causing the engine to stall.”
He did not provide other specifics. However, the Engineer magazine has reported the device uses L- and S-band radio frequencies, and works at a range of up to 50m (164ft).
Some experts the BBC has spoken with suggested that turning off the engine in this manner would not stop vehicles rapidly enough. Others worried about what effect it might have on a car’s electronic brake and steering systems.
But E2V said the risks were lower than with alternative systems.
Acpo suggested the machine’s ability to stop motorbikes “safely” could prove particularly useful.
The Latest on: Shuts down car engines with radio pulse
- The Pulseon February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
The Pulse takes you behind the doors of operating rooms, into the lab with some of the world's foremost scientists, and back in time to explore life-changing innovations. The Pulse delivers ...
- A3 Artists Agency Shuts Downon February 9, 2024 at 7:09 pm
Before shutting down, the agency had lost its Empire State Building offices in New York as well as its Pacific Design Center offices in West Hollywood. Last month, it did sell off its digital and ...
- Kubernetes automation startup Weaveworks shuts downon February 5, 2024 at 2:55 pm
Richardson detailed that the company had to shut down because this “sales growth was lumpy and our cash position, consequently volatile.” He added that a “very promising M&A process with a ...
- Senegal shuts down internet amidst postponement of presidential electionon February 5, 2024 at 6:52 am
Ima Elijah Ima Elijah is a Senior News Reporter at Pulse. Welcome to the Pulse Community! We will now be sending you a daily newsletter on news, entertainment and more. Also join us across all of ...
- Fatal single-vehicle accident shuts down Southwest Side highwayon February 3, 2024 at 8:49 am
Police shut down traffic to the area for several hours during the investigation. The road has since reopened. No other information is available at this time on the fatal accident.
- News website The Messenger shuts down after 8 months. See more 2024 media layoffs.on February 1, 2024 at 9:14 am
The Messenger, an online news site that promoted itself to deliver unbiased and trusted news, abruptly shut down Wednesday after eight months of operation. Jimmy Finkelstein, the founder of The ...
- News startup The Messenger shuts downon January 31, 2024 at 8:43 am
The Messenger, a digital media company that launched less than a year ago, has shut down following multiple reports that it was set to do so. News of the startup’s plans to shutter was first ...
- Martin Short shuts down rumors he's dating 'Only Murders in the Building' co-star Meryl Streepon January 29, 2024 at 6:22 pm
Short appeared on Sunday's episode of "Club Random with Bill Maher" where he shut down any rumors about his relationship with Streep being any more than friendly. "We’re not a couple.
- Brittany Mahomes Shuts Down Chiefs Haters After Team Makes Super Bowl: ‘Anyone Have Anything Else to Say?'on January 29, 2024 at 12:52 pm
The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 in the AFC Championship on Sunday Brittany Mahomes has a question for the Chiefs haters. The 28-year-old KC Current owner was a "proud ...
- The great cars let down by their engineson January 27, 2024 at 1:57 pm
There have been so many cars over the years that ... technology called V8-6-4, which shut down pairs of cylinders depending on the load placed on the engine. GM bravely installed the system ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Shuts down car engines
- Fire in hotel parking lot causes 5th Street shut down during rush hour trafficon February 23, 2024 at 3:05 pm
Downtown rush hour traffic was thrown into chaos yesterday afternoon, when one block of 5th Street, between Colorado and Broadway, was closed while officials investigated a fire in a parking garage.
- Police bust chop shop in Kent, recover stolen cars, weapons, drugson February 23, 2024 at 9:29 am
Law enforcement recovered 14 stolen vehicles, several trailers, ATVs, stolen engines and car parts alongside weapons, meth and suspected fentanyl.
- Google Pay is shutting down in the US later this yearon February 23, 2024 at 2:57 am
That's because it can handle more than just payments — on top of credit and debit cards, it stores transport passes, state IDs, driver's licenses, virtual car keys and more. Google's payment system ...
- Train engine catches fire in Odisha's Dhenkanal, Indian Railways shuts down route | Watchon February 22, 2024 at 5:05 pm
Premium Dhenkanal train engine fire: The reason for the fire ... Indian Railways has shut down the route for other trains. The investigators are yet to determine the cause of the fire.
- Shut down Chinese-owned Sentuo Oil Refinery – IES, COPEC to NPAon February 22, 2024 at 7:47 am
Two energy institutions in Ghana, the Institute of Energy Security and the Chamber of Petroleum Consumers have asked the National Petroleum Authority to, as a matter of urgency, shut down the Chinese ...
- Shut down Chinese Sentuo Oil Refinery – IES, COPEC to NPAon February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
They noted that the refinery had been supplying subpar fuel products which is affecting the engines and the general performance of cars in the Greater Accra ... COPEC call on the NPA to move swiftly ...
- Woman killed in crash that shut down Route 217 in Westmoreland Countyon February 19, 2024 at 10:03 am
A woman was killed in a crash that shut down a major roadway in Westmoreland County for hours. Dispatchers tell Channel 11 that a crash on Route 217 happened just after 12:15 p.m. in front of the ...
- Is Roblox shutting down in 2024?on February 13, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Is Roblox shutting down? There always seems to be a rumor that Roblox is going to shut down. Let’s get one thing clear early on: anyone who tells you that Roblox is shutting down is incorrect.
- One dead, three injured in six-vehicle crash on I-95 near Fort Lauderdale airporton February 11, 2024 at 9:15 am
Southbound lanes on Interstate 95 near the Marina Mile exit in Fort Lauderdale were closed for hours Sunday after a multi-car crash involving six vehicles left three injured and one dead. At 4:06 ...
- Traffic alert: Predawn multi-car crash shuts down Interstate 95 down in Browardon February 11, 2024 at 5:52 am
A Sunday morning multi-car crash has had Interstate 95’s southbound side shut down near the Marina Mile exit near the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. The crash happened just after 4 a ...
via Bing News