A British company has demonstrated a prototype device capable of stopping cars and other vehicles using a blast of electromagnetic waves.
The RF Safe-Stop uses radio frequency pulses to “confuse” a vehicle’s electronic systems, cutting its engine.
E2V is one of several companies trying to bring such a product to market.
It said it believed the primary use would be as a non-lethal weapon for the military to defend sensitive locations from vehicles refusing to stop.
There has also been police interest.
The BBC was given a demonstration of the device at Throckmorton Airfield, in Worcestershire.
Deputy Chief Constable Andy Holt, of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), who has evaluated the tech, said the machine had “potential, but it’s very early days yet”.
At one end of a disused runway, E2V assembled a varied collection of second-hand cars and motorbikes in order to test the prototype against a range of vehicles.
In demonstrations seen by the BBC a car drove towards the device at about 15mph (24km/h).
As the vehicle entered the range of the RF Safe-stop, its dashboard warning lights and dials behaved erratically, the engine stopped and the car rolled gently to a halt. Digital audio and video recording devices in the vehicle were also affected.
“It’s a small radar transmitter,” said Andy Wood, product manager for the machine.
“The RF [radio frequency] is pulsed from the unit just as it would be in radar, it couples into the wiring in the car and that disrupts and confuses the electronics in the car causing the engine to stall.”
He did not provide other specifics. However, the Engineer magazine has reported the device uses L- and S-band radio frequencies, and works at a range of up to 50m (164ft).
Some experts the BBC has spoken with suggested that turning off the engine in this manner would not stop vehicles rapidly enough. Others worried about what effect it might have on a car’s electronic brake and steering systems.
But E2V said the risks were lower than with alternative systems.
Acpo suggested the machine’s ability to stop motorbikes “safely” could prove particularly useful.
The Latest on: Shuts down car engines with radio pulse
- Anderson Cooper Full Circleon December 2, 2021 at 3:52 am
Catch up with Stephen Colbert, Henry Winkler and more of Anderson Cooper's friends on his 24 hour streaming channel. WarnerMedia uses data to improve and analyze its functionality and to tailor ...
- Are Hydrogen Cars Still Happening?on November 29, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Electric cars are useless! Me ... the only byproduct is pure water. As the clock ticks down in the race to prevent irreversible climate crisis, these attributes make hydrogen a highly attractive ...
- Here are some winter weather safety tips as cold, ice & snow beginon November 29, 2021 at 9:34 am
Heavy snowfall and extreme cold can immobilize an entire region. Even areas that normally experience mild winters can be hit with a major snowstorm or extreme cold.
- FDA panel weighs safety, effectiveness of Merck’s antiviral COVID-19 pillon November 25, 2021 at 12:14 am
Within 72 hours of Omicron’s christening, governments across the globe swiftly shut down air travel from a ... afternoon on GBH News’ Boston Public Radio. The personal QR codes would attest ...
- Movie Reviewson November 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
In Jane Campion’s staggering take on the western, her first movie in more than a decade, a cruel cowboy meets his surprising match. By Manohla Dargis Adapted from a manga, this French-language ...
- Building An Engine Control Unit With The STM32F4on November 21, 2021 at 4:00 pm
If you’re looking to soup up your whip, the first place you’ll probably look is the engine control unit ... to be able to drive his car. No problem, as going down to the junkyard, picking ...
- 2015 Ram 1500on April 4, 2021 at 3:39 am
A 3.6-liter V6 engine is standard, aiding fuel economy and a significant savings over the Hemi. It does an admirable job motivating this big truck, as long as your towing needs are modest.
- 3-phase Field Oriented Control (FOC)on June 6, 2019 at 11:29 am
Worldwide,Asia,Europe,Africa,North America,South America,Oceania,Afghanistan,Bahrain,Bangladesh,Bhutan,Brunei,Burma (Myanmar),Cambodia,China,East Timor,India ...
- FM 24-18: Tactical Single-Channel Radio Communications Techniqueson October 13, 2017 at 1:55 am
The power required to operate radio equipment may come from a variety of sources, such as commercial power, dry batteries, storage batteries, engine-driven ... designed to shut down the affected ...
- 2007 Ford F-150on April 28, 2017 at 5:12 pm
The F-150's handling is sound and the cabin is roomy, but the ride isn't that good and the noisy engine strains under acceleration. Uncomfortable seats further detract from the driving experience.
via Bing News
The Latest on: Shuts down car engines
- UN General Assembly urged to investigate Yemen atrocitieson December 2, 2021 at 8:22 am
More than 60 organizations urged the U.N. General Assembly on Thursday to establish an investigative body to gather and preserve evidence of serious human rights violations ...
- Ralf on title saga: Either launch protests or shut upon December 2, 2021 at 3:15 am
Red Bull and Mercedes should either officially protest or shut up, according to former F1 driver Ralf Schumacher.
- Blind Crew Chief Jay Blake Refuses to Give Up on NHRA Dreamon December 1, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Jay Blake can tear down and rebuild a 3,500 horsepower drag racing motor by himself, and he can fix flat tires on his trailer that tows his race car across the country The 55-year-old Blake lost his ...
- Commission: Kidnapping of Nicole Westonon December 1, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Nicole Weston, a long blonde hair female wearing a tight red blouse to reveal her midriff and cleavage with a short black skirt and black stockings with garters along with dark heel shoes, hummed ...
- Crash involving 6 cars shuts down local lanes of Northbound I-270on December 1, 2021 at 8:18 am
A multi-car crash on Northbound Interstate 270 in Montgomery County has sent at least two people to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to firefighters. Fire and rescue crews shut ...
- A96 smash: Six-vehicle crash on busy Scots road as route closed for over five hourson November 30, 2021 at 1:18 pm
A BUSY Scots road has been closed after a horror six-vehicle crash earlier today. Emergency services raced to the A96 this afternoon as the alarm was raised of the smash. The horrendous collision ...
- Flip the switch on electric carson November 26, 2021 at 1:08 pm
I have been thinking about electric cars since May. If you remember (I know time blurs together in this never-ending pandemic), that’s when the Colonial Pipeline temporarily had to shut down after a ...
- Police incident at Key Street roundabout in Sittingbourne shuts roadon November 23, 2021 at 8:14 am
Part of a busy Kent road has been shut after a police incident. Officers have been pictured shutting off the road near Key Street roundabout near the A2 in Sittingbourne at around 3.30pm. An eye ...
- How one Utah dealer is beating the chip shortage slowing new car availabilityon November 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Because demand has continued to outpace supply, the chip shortage bottleneck has reduced the number of new cars rolling off assembly lines and into dealership lots. One Utah dealership is finding ways ...
- Schools in Delhi to stay shut till further orders, ban on trucks extendedon November 21, 2021 at 12:43 pm
Schools in Delhi will stay closed “until further orders”, the directorate of education said on Sunday in an official order, and added that online teaching-learning activities and CBSE board examinatio ...
via Bing News