Converting sunshine into electricity is not difficult, but doing so efficiently and on a large scale is one of the reasons why people still rely on the electric grid and not a national solar cell network.
But a team of researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Central Florida in Orlando may be one step closer to tapping into the full potential of solar cells. The team found a way to create large sheets of nanotextured, silicon micro-cell arrays that hold the promise of making solar cells lightweight, more efficient, bendable and easy to mass produce.
The team used a light-trapping scheme based on a nanoimprinting technique where a polymeric stamp mechanically emboss the nano-scale pattern on to the solar cell without involving further complex lithographic steps. This approach has led to the flexibility researchers have been searching for, making the design ideal for mass manufacturing, said UCF assistant professor Debashis Chanda, lead researcher of the study.
The study’s findings are the subject of the November cover story of the journal Advanced Energy Materials.
Previously, scientists had suggested designs that showed greater absorption rates of sunlight, but how efficiently that sunlight was converted into electrical energy was unclear, Debashis said. This study demonstrates that the light-trapping scheme offers higher electrical efficiency in a lightweight, flexible module.
The team believes this technology could someday lead to solar-powered homes fueled by cells that are reliable and provide stored energy for hours without interruption.
The Latest on: Solar cells
- Spacewalkers finish solar panel prep for station power booston March 6, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Spacewalking astronauts completed the first round of prep work Friday for new solar panels, part of a major power upgrade at the International Space Station. NASA’s Kate Rubins and Japan’s Soichi ...
- Astronauts complete second spacewalk preparing for ISS solar panel upgradeson March 6, 2021 at 8:49 am
A pair of astronauts aboard the ISS completed a difficult installation of struts that will hold new solar panel arrays on the outside of the ISS. The second spacewalk was conducted on March 5 and ...
- Astronauts finish solar panel prep for space station power booston March 5, 2021 at 7:17 pm
The equipment will support the first set of improved solar panels, due to arrive at the International Space Station in June.
- Points of Progress: Foldable solar cell breakthrough, and moreon March 5, 2021 at 6:15 pm
Researchers have developed foldable solar cells, paving the way for new solar-powered tech – plus more positive headlines.
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle stubborn struts to prime space station for new solar arrayson March 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm
Two astronauts finally wrapped up tricky solar array strut installations Friday (March 5) that stymied a previous set of spacewalkers just a few days before. Expedition 64 astronauts Kate Rubins of ...
- Spacewalking astronauts tackle more solar panel advance workon March 5, 2021 at 10:23 am
For the second time this week, a pair of astronauts floated outside Friday to get the International Space Station ready for new solar panels. NASA’s Kate ...
- Texas Outages Emphasize Need for Sustainable Energy and Rooftop Solaron March 4, 2021 at 3:13 pm
The recent power outages in Texas, as well as California and Puerto Rico, showcased our nation's need for a more resilient electrical grid in many regions. Grassroots advocacy groups are calling ...
- Adapting solar energy technology to detect chemical warfare agents and pesticideson March 4, 2021 at 5:00 am
In a colorful solution to a dangerous problem, Australian scientists are adapting a component from cutting-edge solar cells to design a rapid, light-based detection system for deadly toxins.
- Plastic solar cells combine high-speed optical communication with indoor energy harvestingon March 3, 2021 at 5:06 am
In a new paper published in Light: Science & Applications, researchers from the University of Strathclyde and the University of St. Andrews have demonstrated a plastic solar panel that combines ...
- A common optical approach to thickness optimization in polymer and perovskite solar cellson March 2, 2021 at 2:56 am
The structure of experimentally designed solar cells was optimized in terms of the photoactive layer thickness for both organic bulk heterojunction and hybrid perovskite solar cells.
via Bing News
The Latest on: Advanced energy materials
- Jennifer Granholm and the golden opportunities of clean energy jobson March 5, 2021 at 12:33 am
The new Energy Secretary's nonprofit, The American Jobs project, looked at how regions could become world leaders in critical technologies.
- Thermo Scientific Spectra Ultra Offers a Leap Forward for Advanced Materials Characterizationon March 3, 2021 at 8:25 pm
Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, today unveiled the Thermo Scientific Spectra Ultra, a next-generation scanning transmission electron microscope ((S)TEM) that offers ...
- European Building Insulation Materials Market 2021-2027: Future Growth Potential Enhanced by Opportunities in Advanced Building Techniqueson March 3, 2021 at 6:55 am
The "European Building Insulation Materials Market Driven by Energy-efficiency Targets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Supercapacitor Materials Market Size, Share, Industry, Analysis, Price, Trends, Growth and Report 2020-2027on March 1, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Supercapacitor Materials Market - Global Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Trends, and Forecasts up to 2023 The materials used in supercapacitors energy devices are the advanced engineered materials ...
- The right stuff to find the right materialson March 1, 2021 at 3:28 pm
"If there is a problem, my philosophy is that there is a material to solve it," says Murugesan, a Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) physicist in the Physical Sciences Division and a team ...
- PNNL Energy Sciences Center will help realize clean energy futureon February 26, 2021 at 1:28 pm
The Energy Sciences Center (ESC) will feature many of PNNL's strengths in chemistry, materials sciences, and computing in one building. "The ESC will accelerate innovation in energy research using ...
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc (RYAM) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton February 25, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Q4 2020 Earnings CallFeb 25, 2021, 10:00 a.m. ETContents: Prepared Remarks Questions and Answers Call Participants Prepared Remarks: OperatorGood morning, and welcome to the Rayonier Advanced ...
- Canadian Market Down Sharply As Materials, Energy Stocks Tumbleon February 25, 2021 at 9:52 am
After moving up marginally at the start, the Canadian stock market tumbled Thursday morning, weighed down by losses in healthcare, materials, energy, financial and technology sections. Profit taking ...
- Advanced Phase Change Materials Market Size, Industry Trend, Share, Sales Revenue, Growth Rate and Opportunity Assessment Till 2027on February 25, 2021 at 9:06 am
The Advanced Phase Change Materials Market is projected to reach USD 6.18 billion by 2027. One of the major driving factors for the market is expected to be the increasing need to conserve energy ...
- Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market Future Scope, Opportunities with Strategic Growth and Top Playerson February 25, 2021 at 5:13 am
"Global Advanced Battery Energy Storage System Market is valued at approximately USD 151.96 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to grow with a healthy growth rate of more than 4.8% over the forecast ...
via Bing News