Want a glimpse into the future of science?
Check out the application areas for the young faculty awards at the Defense Department’s crazy research arm.
The Pentagon’s advanced research arm is always dreaming up crazy, futuristic technologies that will shape the future of the military and society. DARPA was involved in early Internet development, and these days the agency works on everything from drone-slaying lasers to humanoid robots that could save your life.
Every year, DARPA gives out young faculty awards aimed at recruiting the “rising star” researchers in academia to devote their brains to the military’s technological needs. “The long-term goal of the program is to develop the next generation of scientists and engineers in the research community who will focus a significant portion of their future careers on DoD and National Security issues,” this year’s grant program announcement reads.
The agency doesn’t want these young geniuses to work on just anything, though. DARPA is seeking applications in 18 topic areas, offering some insight into the agency’s priorities and interests. Here are a couple of topics we found particularly intriguing:
HOW USING TWITTER CHANGES YOUR BRAIN
The “Neurobiological Mechanisms of Social Media Processing” topic area seeks researchers to investigate how the use of social media tools affects people’s underlying thoughts and behaviors, such as their levels of empathy and social cognition.
HOW TO READ MINDS WITH MINIMAL MESS
The “Next Generation Neural Sensing for Brain-Machine Interfaces” topic area seeks improvements upon the outdated methods of implanting sensors into the brain to sense neural activity.
The Latest on: What DARPA Wants Young Scientists To Work On
- Philadelphia bidding for new federal research agency headquarterson August 5, 2022 at 6:04 am
The White House explained that ARPA-H will be modeled after the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).) Darmody explained that ... Acting White House Science Advisor Francis Collins said ...
- Home [www.dailymail.co.uk]on August 3, 2022 at 4:59 pm
One claimed that they want to be her when they grow up and ... member of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), Steve Young (second from right) who is the former owner of ...
- Faster, Please — The Podcast #3: What if the Roman Empire Had an Industrial Revolution?on July 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
So it doesn’t become naff and doesn’t work ... these clever Greek scientists and their families off and taking them to Rome and basically doing a Roman version of DARPA.
- Transcript: The Path Forward: American Competitiveness with Pat Gelsinger, CEO, Intelon July 12, 2022 at 1:20 pm
You know, semiconductor is a 50‑year‑old, now, industry, $600 billion invented on American soil, a lot of DARPA and AT&T ... is not becoming more digital? Work from home, education from ...
- KDD 2022 Announces Special Conference Tracks for Government, Health, Deep Learning, Diversity and Inclusionon July 7, 2022 at 9:03 am
including National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and Intelligence ...
- 5 Questions for Tony Mills on Federal Science Policyon June 30, 2022 at 7:14 am
Early in his presidency, Joe Biden promised to be a leader on science policy with proposals ... People like DARPA and they want to imitate it, but DARPA exists, it’s still doing what it does ...
- The CNN 10: Thinkerson May 4, 2022 at 9:02 am
CNN is honoring the visionaries whose ideas are shaping our future by highlighting 10 of our favorite thinkers in science and technology ... the vast majority of them young children in Africa.
- Space Tug Company Names DARPA Military Veteran As New Presidenton September 15, 2020 at 8:14 am
The young space startup Momentus is about to benefit ... Office for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). The Silicon Valley-based Momentus has raised $80 million to date for ...
- Nano Focusedon August 8, 2020 at 8:37 am
Lee’s work has garnered the attention of his peers in the scientific research community, as well as industry leaders in the fields of physics. In 2018, Lee was awarded a $500,000 CAREER Award from the ...
- Military Funding For Prosthetics Helps More Than Just Soldierson June 12, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Few who work there now might remember the curious footnote ... helping nearly two million Americans – civilian children, elderly people and young adults with amputations – maximize their ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: DARPA
- Amyris' Vertically-Integrated Business Model Transitioning From Investment Mode To Payoff Modeon August 8, 2022 at 3:10 am
Amyris’ (AMRS) disruptive vertically-integrated business model should deliver favorable results beginning in H2 2022. Read more here.
- Rigetti Awarded DARPA Contract for Quantum Application Benchmarkingon August 4, 2022 at 6:32 am
This will undoubtedly accelerate the field even further.” This award is part of DARPA’s Quantum Benchmarking Program. The goal of the program is to re-invent key quantum computing metrics ...
- Rigetti Awarded DARPA Contract for Quantum Application Benchmarkingon August 4, 2022 at 5:30 am
Aug. 04, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- A subsidiary of Rigetti Computing, Inc. (Nasdaq: RGTI) (“Rigetti” or the “Company”), a pioneer in full-stack quantum computing, has been selected by the Defense ...
- CSU adds session on mental health to precede DARPA Forward conferenceon August 3, 2022 at 5:17 pm
That’s why Colorado State University, before hosting the DARPA Forward conference later this month, will offer a separate session on Aug. 29 focused on mental health struggles in these challenging ...
- Everything DARPA's Been Doing for the Last 20 Yearson August 3, 2022 at 9:28 am
headlines than all the others combined. That uneasy accolade, of course, goes to DARPA. Known more formally as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the Pentagon’s sci-fi R&D wing is ...
via Bing News