Scientists behind technologies at the tiniest scale may have new problems according to ‘surprising’ findings by Huddersfield University researchers
Nanotechnology – the manipulation of matter at a molecular or atomic scale – is used to make microchips denser and smaller.
The science, which modifies the very structure of what everything in the universe is composed of, is also used in cutting-edge radiotherapy and other medicine.
But the Emma (Electron Microscopy and Materials Analysis) research group, at Huddersfield University, has discovered the process used to transform nanoscale materials can cause much greater damage than was previously thought.
The team has an advanced facility named Miami (Microscope and Ion Accelerators for Materials Investigation), which is used to bombard materials with ion beams and examine the effects at the nanoscale.
During an experiment conducted by the team, including research fellow Dr Graeme Greaves, gold nanorods – a thousand times smaller than a human hair – were blasted with xenon atoms.
Gold nanowires were ideal materials for the experiment because they have a large surface area.
Dr Greaves said: “We were hoping to generate bubbles. We actually found that we were eroding the nanowires…
Dr Greaves added: “The research has considerable implications, particularly for medicine.
“Gold nanoparticles can be used for tumour detection, the optimisation of the bio-distribution of drugs to diseased organs and a radiotherapy dose enhancer.
“Components of computer chips are very small nowadays – in the order of 20 nanometres in size and getting smaller – and ion beams are used to change the properties of these materials.
“Our research shows you must be very wary of the amount of damage that may be done.”
The results were so dramatic the Huddersfield team sought a second opinion from Helsinki University, Finland.
The Latest on: Nanotechnology
via Google News
The Latest on: Nanotechnology
- IFFCO bags patent for Nano Urea, Nano DAP for 20 yearson July 1, 2022 at 6:50 am
Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative IFFCO Limited have received patent on its Nanotechnology-based fertilisers IFFCO Nano Urea and Nano DAP ...
- Scanning Electron Microscope Market to record USD 727.6 Mn growth | Driven by increasing focus on nanotechnology | Technavioon July 1, 2022 at 6:50 am
The "Scanning Electron Microscope Market by End-user and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2020-2024" report by Technavio expects the market size to increase by USD 727.6 million between 2019 and 2024 ...
- The emergence of form: New study expands horizons for DNA nanotechnologyon June 29, 2022 at 10:26 am
Researchers explore a basic building block used in the fabrication of many DNA nanoforms. Known as a Holliday junction, this nexus of two segments of double stranded DNA has been used to form ...
- Nanotechnology Market Industry Segmentation by Type, Application, Regions, Key News and Top Companies Profileson June 29, 2022 at 4:47 am
The global nanotechnology market size reached USD 2.4 Billion in 2021 and is expected to register a revenue CAGR of 34.0% during the forecast period, according to latest analysis by Emergen ...
- Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Size, Share, Growth Status, Prominent Players, and Forecast 2028on June 28, 2022 at 7:03 am
Nanotechnology in medical devices or nanotechnology-based medical devices are used to deliver more targeted medication ...
- The Current State of Nanotechnology in Europeon June 28, 2022 at 3:39 am
While the sector is strongest in North America and Asia currently, Europe is still a leading region for nanotechnology research and development. Image Credit: NicoElNino/Shutterstock.com The Europe ...
- Agricultural Nanotechnology Market 2022 Growth Factor, Share, Industry Size, CAGR Value, Manufacturers, Type, Application and Forecast to 2025on June 28, 2022 at 2:21 am
Agricultural Nanotechnology market present regional segmentation, key findings, manufacturing technology, consumption volume, growth rate, future trends, market drivers, opportunities and challenges.
- Nanotechnology In Medical Market Size, Share, Growth And Trends, Forecast 2022 - 2031on June 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Kenneth Research recently added a report on 'Nanotechnology in Medical Industry Market' in its database of market research reports which provides its readers an in-depth analysis on the latest ...
- North Carolina researchers find potential COVID-19 treatment with new nanotechnologyon June 22, 2022 at 7:30 am
A pair of researchers at East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine have discovered that new nanotechnology may have therapeutic benefits in the treatment of ...
- Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery Market Report 2022-2032on June 21, 2022 at 12:33 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery Market Report 2022-2032" - The Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery Market Report 2022-2032: This report will prove ...
via Bing News