The first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human
Last Wednesday in Paris, a 75 year-old man received an artificial heart. That in itself might not be newsworthy, as such devices have been in use since the early 80s. In this case, however, the gadget in question was the first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human. According to its inventor, cardiac surgeon Alain Carpentier, it’s the world’s first self-regulating artificial heart.
When Carpentier uses the term “self-regulating,” he refers to the Carmat’s ability to speed up or slow down its flow rate based on the patient’s physiological needs – if they’re performing a vigorous physical activity, for instance, the heart will respond by beating faster. This is made possible via “multiple miniature embedded sensors” and proprietary algorithms running on its integrated microprocessor.
Most other artificial hearts, by contrast, beat at a constant unchanging rate. This means that patients either have to avoid too much activity, or risk becoming breathless and exhausted quickly.
According to a Reuters report, although the Carmat is similar in size to a natural adult human heart, it’s a little on the big side. It should therefore fit inside 86 percent of men, but only 20 percent of women – that said, the company has stated that a smaller model could be made. It’s also almost three times heavier than a real heart, tipping the scales at approximately 900 grams (2 lb).
Power comes from an external lithium-ion battery pack worn by the patient, and a fuel cell is in the works.
The Latest on: Artificial heart
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial heart
- Malaga hospital successfully implants artificial heart in a 67-year-old patienton August 5, 2022 at 4:49 pm
A Malaga hospital has successfully performed an operation to implant an artificial heart in a 67-year-old patient ...
- Canada’s first total artificial heart implant in childon July 28, 2022 at 9:33 am
SickKids teams came together to urgently perform an innovative procedure to bridge Mariam to a second heart transplant after she went into heart failure for a second time. By Sarah Warr Last year, ...
- ‘Major step forward’ in development of artificial hearton July 25, 2022 at 9:30 pm
The structure of the heart’s ventricles has been recreated by bioengineers, bringing them one step closer to creating an artificial heart for transplant. The American team have developed a model of ...
- Artificial Heart Market Size 2022 Regional Overview with Growth Opportunities, Development Outlook, and Regional Strategies 2028on July 21, 2022 at 5:53 am
The high expansion sought after of the Artificial Heart market is because of the profoundly expanded cardiovascular problem among the populace alongside the expansion in the maturing populace ...
- Artificial Heart Market Share 2022 Global Trends, Industry Analysis, Key Players and Forecast to 2027on July 21, 2022 at 2:23 am
Jul 21, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- Global Artificial Heart Market (2022-2027) research report offers in-depth analysis on market size, share, drivers, restraints, and so on. Moreover, this report ...
- Artificial heart gets green light to go on marketon July 18, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Clinical trials of the artificial heart were launched in September 2020, giving more than 50 patients with advanced heart failure a second chance of life. Bao Xin, 21, was one of the 50 patients.
- Artificial heart gets green light to go on marketon July 18, 2022 at 2:37 am
CHINA DAILY When the popular TV series Dr. Tang, featuring a made-in-China artificial heart, ended in mid-July, an artificial heart with the combination of domestic rocket and medical technologies ...
- Toronto pre-teen the youngest person in Canada to receive total artificial hearton July 18, 2022 at 2:29 am
Multiple heart surgeries and near-death experiences have earned 12-year-old Mariam Tannous the nickname Mariam Miracle, says her mom.
- How SickKids doctors implanted the first total artificial heart for a child in Canada one year agoon July 17, 2022 at 9:41 pm
At 11 years old, Mariam Tannous has experienced many uncommon things for someone her age. She has undergone multiple open-heart surgeries – two of which resulted in a heart transplant – and ...
- Artificial heart approved to enter marketon July 17, 2022 at 10:04 am
[Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn] When the popular TV series Dr. Tang featuring the made-in China artificial heart ended last week, an artificial heart with the combination of domestic rocket ...
via Bing News