The first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human
Last Wednesday in Paris, a 75 year-old man received an artificial heart. That in itself might not be newsworthy, as such devices have been in use since the early 80s. In this case, however, the gadget in question was the first Carmat bioprosthetic artificial heart to ever be implanted in a human. According to its inventor, cardiac surgeon Alain Carpentier, it’s the world’s first self-regulating artificial heart.
When Carpentier uses the term “self-regulating,” he refers to the Carmat’s ability to speed up or slow down its flow rate based on the patient’s physiological needs – if they’re performing a vigorous physical activity, for instance, the heart will respond by beating faster. This is made possible via “multiple miniature embedded sensors” and proprietary algorithms running on its integrated microprocessor.
Most other artificial hearts, by contrast, beat at a constant unchanging rate. This means that patients either have to avoid too much activity, or risk becoming breathless and exhausted quickly.
According to a Reuters report, although the Carmat is similar in size to a natural adult human heart, it’s a little on the big side. It should therefore fit inside 86 percent of men, but only 20 percent of women – that said, the company has stated that a smaller model could be made. It’s also almost three times heavier than a real heart, tipping the scales at approximately 900 grams (2 lb).
Power comes from an external lithium-ion battery pack worn by the patient, and a fuel cell is in the works.
The Latest on: Artificial heart
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial heart
- At 4% CAGR, Artificial Heart Lung Machines Market Size Set to Register 310 million USD by 2024on July 8, 2021 at 8:29 am
According to this study, over the next five years the Artificial Heart Lung Machines market will register a 4.0% CAGR in terms of revenue, the global market size will reach US$ 310 million by 2024, ...
- Heart Pump Devices Market to exceed US$ 6 Billion by 2027 Globally | CAGR: 18.9% | UnivDatos Market Insightson July 7, 2021 at 8:00 am
A comprehensive overview of the Heart Pump Devices Market is recently added by UnivDatos Market Insights to its humongous database. The Heart Pump ...
- Global Cardiac Assist Devices Market to 2027 - Increasing Incidence of Heart Failure is Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.comon July 6, 2021 at 9:12 pm
Increasing Incidence of Heart Failure is Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com The "Global Cardiac Assist Devices (CAD) Market - Forecast to 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Artificial hearts made from magnets and titanium could save many liveson July 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The revolutionary design, which was first patched together using plumbing supplies, could begin human trials soon.
- Global Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market 2021 Future Trends, Key Player Analysis, Trending Technologies and Regional Outlook 2026on July 4, 2021 at 10:49 am
MRInsightsbiz has announced a new report titled Global Artificial Heart-Lung Machine Market Growth 2021-2026 which report offers a ...
- If Covid-19 vaccines can cause heart inflammation, caution should be warranted in those at riskon June 29, 2021 at 11:22 am
Serious but uncommon complications like developing myocarditis after Covid-19 vaccination should warrant caution in those at risk.
- Danbury Hospital Doctor Named Top Heart Surgeon For Nuvanceon June 28, 2021 at 1:12 pm
Dr. Richard Kaplon has joined the Nuvance Health Heart and Vascular Institute in his role as chief of cardiac surgery at Danbury Hospital.
- Article Highlight: Spider silk could be used to make artificial heart tissueson June 28, 2021 at 2:29 am
Now, researchers in Germany have found that spider silk may be able to boost artificial tissues used for repairing injured hearts. The group has published the work in the journal Materials Today Bio.
- New artificial heart shows promising results in 'auto-mode'—initial clinical experience reportedon June 18, 2021 at 10:41 am
An experimental artificial heart includes an autoregulation control mechanism, or Auto-Mode, that can adjust to the changing needs of patients treated for end-stage heart failure. Outcomes in the ...
- Total Artificial Heart Market Trends- Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Product, Top Key Players and Forecast 2026on June 14, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Selbyville, Delaware According to the research report titled 'Total Artificial Heart Market Insights, Competitive Landscape and Market Forecast-2026', available with Market Study Report LLC, global ...
via Bing News