Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Give investors what they want — a Bitcoin ETFon January 25, 2021 at 2:33 pm
There are real concerns about volatility, but a Bitcoin ETF should be explored, and if appropriate, should be sanctioned by regulators.
- Bitcoin CZ (BCZ) Trading 20.5% Lower This Weekon January 25, 2021 at 2:19 pm
Bitcoin CZ (CURRENCY:BCZ) traded 5.9% higher against the U.S. dollar during the one day period ending at 16:00 PM Eastern on January 25th. In the last seven days, Bitcoin CZ has traded down 20.5% ...
- Harvard, Yale, Brown Endowments Have Been Buying Bitcoin for at Least a Year: Sourceson January 25, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Large university endowments have been quietly buying crypto through Coinbase and other exchanges, CoinDesk has learned.
- 21 Bitcoin Block Rewards from 2010 Wake Up, $236M Worth of 'Satoshi Era' BTC Spent in 10 Monthson January 25, 2021 at 12:07 pm
On Monday, at roughly 2 a.m., the old school miner from 2010 has spent another consecutive 21 decade-old block rewards with 1,050 bitcoin.
- Large Bitcoin Options Positions May Boost Price Volatility This Weekon January 25, 2021 at 11:33 am
Bitcoin’s options market continues to grow along with an institutional-led bull run in the leading cryptocurrency. Yet, while many use options to hedge their positions, the large amounts of bitcoin ...
- Stratum V2 Promises To Further Decentralize Bitcoinon January 25, 2021 at 10:53 am
Stratum V2 is an upgrade to the bitcoin mining stack that aims to help miners as small as hobbyists with a few bits of ASIC mining equipment to have a more flexible and censorship-resistant route to ...
- Vietnam’s Oldest Bitcoin Exchange Adds Support for Lightning Networkon January 25, 2021 at 9:06 am
Vietnamese Bitcoin exchange VBTC has integrated the Lightning Network, making it the third exchange to support the scaling tech this year.
- Bitcoin To Space Travel: 5 Eagle Experts Think These Investment Ideas Can Soar In 2021on January 25, 2021 at 6:37 am
Consistently among the top performers every year are the investing experts from Eagle Publishing; here, 5 of these advisors highlight at their favorite ideas for 2021, ranging from e-commerce and ...
- Why Your Nonprofit Should Be Thinking About Bitcoinon January 25, 2021 at 6:36 am
Let me share with you three reasons why your nonprofit should be seriously considering utilizing Bitcoin. Nonprofits are prudent to have savings. Most nonprofit have between three months and up to one ...
- Bitcoin Exchanges from Chile, Mexico and Argentina Will Have Brazilian Competitionon January 25, 2021 at 5:11 am
The Brazilian cryptocurrency exchange Mercado Bitcoin announced on January 21 that it is preparing an expansion in Latin America that targets the markets of Chile, Mexico and Argentina.
via Bing News