Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin suffers eighth straight weekly loss as investors turn bearish on cryptoson May 27, 2022 at 9:36 pm
Bitcoin led a decline in digital assets across the whole cryptocurrency spectrum, with the world’s largest token set for an eighth straight weekly loss in its longest such slump since August 2011.
- Bitcoin vs. Bitcoin Cash: What’s the Difference and Which Is Better?on May 27, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Bitcoin is the world’s most popular cryptocurrency, but it’s not without its problems. The nature of the technology makes it difficult to scale, and as a result, it’s nearly impossible for the average ...
- Bearish Options Traders Target a Bitcoin ETF to Capitalize on the Fall in Cryptoon May 27, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Bitcoin futures-related exchange traded funds are turning heads, and even the recent plunge in cryptocurrency prices attracted even more bearish options traders to the bitcoin ETFs to capitalize on ...
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Stuck Below $30K as Buyers Remain on Sidelineson May 27, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Bitcoin (BTC) and other cryptos traded lower on Friday despite another move upward in stocks.Crypto traders are still in risk-off mode after ...
- U.S. SEC rejects carbon-neutral bitcoin ETF by One Riveron May 27, 2022 at 9:54 am
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday rejected a proposal to list and trade a carbon-neutral spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) by asset management firm One River on the NYSE Arca ...
- SEC shoots down One River proposal for carbon-neutral bitcoin ETFon May 27, 2022 at 9:51 am
A proposal for a bitcoin exchange-traded fund that incorporates the purchase of carbon credits in an effort to make it carbon-neutral has been rejected by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- 2,500 Bitcoin Was Just Transferred From Coinbase To Geminion May 27, 2022 at 9:08 am
An anonymous Bitcoin (CRYPTO: BTC) whale just transferred $73,539,761 worth of Bitcoin off Coinbase, and the investor then sent these funds to Gemini.
- Bitcoin Whale Just Transferred $151M BTC From Coinbase To Geminion May 27, 2022 at 9:08 am
An anonymous Bitcoin (CRYPTO: BTC) whale just transferred $151,261,609 worth of Bitcoin off Coinbase, and the investor then sent these funds to Gemini.
- Bitcoin Is Both Risk-on and Risk-off as It Evolveson May 27, 2022 at 8:05 am
The intent, then, is unambiguous: bitcoin is intended to be a currency, capable of replacing cash as a medium of exchange, but functioning peer-to-peer, digitally, and in a decentralized manner. The ...
- We Need to Talk About Exchanges That Sell You Coins Like USTon May 27, 2022 at 8:05 am
Should exchanges warn customers about projects or ... Very much to its credit, Coinbase also does not offer trading in bitcoin SV, bitcoin gold, or dogelon mars (ELON), the other tokens the ...
via Bing News