Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin mining banned! Know reason whyon January 17, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Yet another government has imposed a Bitcoin mining ban. Now, some miners are selling their equipment or trying to move abroad.
- Kevin O’Leary Describes The Future Of Bitcoin Mining And Where He Might Invest In His Own Mining Operationon January 17, 2022 at 6:52 pm
Kevin O'Leary describes the future of bitcoin mining and how he's investing in bitcoin mining with Anthony Pompliano on "The Best Business Show" ...
- Bitcoin Is Revolutionizing Global Money Managementon January 17, 2022 at 2:15 pm
Technologies that were state of the art 50 years ago will be usurped by Bitcoin as the superior technology makes itself apparent. State Of The System. The barriers to entering glo ...
- Someone Just Sent 960 Bitcoin Onto Coinbaseon January 17, 2022 at 1:03 pm
An anonymous cryptocurrency wallet holding $41,492,637 of Bitcoin BTC You can view more details about the transaction here. Why it matters: Cryptocurrency transfers from wallets to exchanges is ...
- Bitcoin Whale Moves 3,001 BTC Off Coinbaseon January 17, 2022 at 1:02 pm
A Bitcoin BTC whale just sent $130,291,44 3Kzh9qAqVWQhEsfQz7zEQL1EuSx5tyNLNS. Why it matters: Bitcoin “Whales” (investors who own $10 million or more in BTC) typically send cryptocurrency from ...
- Bitcoin Supply Shock: Only 12% Of BTC Supply Is On Exchanges Nowon January 17, 2022 at 11:00 am
Percentage of the Bitcoin supply on exchanges has dipped further down to 12% recently, as the supply shock continues to deepen. Just 12% Of Bitcoin Supply Is Now Held By Exchanges As pointed out by ...
- Bitcoin could tumble below $30,000 this year as the crypto bubble pops, Invesco sayson January 17, 2022 at 8:35 am
"The mass marketing of bitcoin reminds us of the activity of stockbrokers in the run-up to the 1929 crash," Invesco's Paul Jackson said.
- Coinsfera Bitcoinshop, Bitcoin Exchange in Dubai, is Awarded in The Largest Blockchain Conferenceon January 17, 2022 at 8:03 am
Coinsfera has received the award from the largest blockchain conference of MENA and the Eurasia regions. Coinsfera was one of the participants in this prominent event about blockchain technology and ...
- Bitcoin Investors Dig in for Long Haul in 'Staggering' Shifton January 17, 2022 at 7:57 am
As bitcoin heads into 2022, a growing cohort of long-term investors is doubling down on its stashes of the cryptocurrency, hoping a December dip was merely a festive blip. Some industry watchers point ...
- Popular BTM Operator: Bitcoin of America Surpasses 1500+ BTMson January 17, 2022 at 7:00 am
Bitcoin of America, a popular digital currency exchange, has surpassed 1500 plus Bitcoin ATMs. Bitcoin of America is a popular virtual currency exchange, registered as a money services business with ...
via Bing News