Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bitcoin Exchanges” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin Storms Past $38,000 Once More, Anticipating Breakout To New Annual Peakon November 28, 2023 at 3:11 pm
Bitcoin (BTC) has again demonstrated its bullish momentum by surging above the $38,000 mark. Breaking free from the recent trading range between $36,500 and $37,500, BTC currently trades at $38,100, ...
- Analysis:In spot bitcoin ETF race, some pioneers stick to the sidelineson November 28, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Despite growing excitement that spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs) will soon win regulatory approval, some cryptocurrency ETF pioneers plan to sit out what is expected to be a fierce industry ...
- Bitcoin Price Breaks $38,000 As Experts Warn of Last Chance to Buy Before New Highson November 28, 2023 at 10:53 am
After hitting a 2023 high at $38,000, the bitcoin price momentum faded. But investors see this as a final chance to “buy the dip.” ...
- Bitcoin is on track to hit $100,000 by the end of 2024 as 'crypto spring' has begun, Standard Chartered sayson November 28, 2023 at 10:22 am
The increased likelihood of US spot ETFs for crypto means bitcoin could even reach $100,000 before the end of 2024, analysts said.
- Bitcoin rally: What the charts showon November 28, 2023 at 7:42 am
Bitcoin (BTC-USD) is up more than 40% over the last three months. Investors are waiting to hear if the Securities and Exchange Commission will approve a spot bitcoin ETF, with inflows into the ...
- The Importance of Technology in Modern Bitcoin Exchangeson November 28, 2023 at 6:44 am
Technology has enabled modern Bitcoin exchanges to have a global reach, facilitating trading from any location at any time. This has significantly increased the liquidity of the market and improved ...
- Bitcoin Defies Odds, Hits Yearly High Amidst Regulatory Stormon November 28, 2023 at 12:51 am
Bitcoin defies odds, hitting a new yearly high amid positive market sentiment and record inflows, poised for an exciting rally as investors eagerly anticipate.
- Cryptoverse: 'Layer two' tokens enjoy new life as bitcoin soarson November 27, 2023 at 8:19 pm
"Layer 2" cryptocurrencies native to projects built on top of "layer 1" blockchains such as Bitcoin and Ethereum - have found a new lease of life after a year in the doldrums, buoyed by a rising ...
- ‘Layer two’ tokens enjoy new life as bitcoin soarson November 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Anticipation of easing U.S. borrowing costs and a possible U.S. spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund have lifted crypto prices since the summer, with market bitcoin gaining by about half since the end of ...
- Crypto Exchange HTX Reinstates Bitcoin Deposits, Withdrawalson November 26, 2023 at 5:53 am
HTX, the crypto exchange linked to digital-asset entrepreneur Justin Sun, has fully reinstated Bitcoin deposits and withdrawals after suffering a hacking attack, Sun said.
via Bing News