Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bitcoin Exchanges” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin on Track for Best January Since 2013, Led by Bullish Trading in US Hourson January 27, 2023 at 3:17 am
Institutions' bullish positioning is also evident from the renewed premium in bitcoin futures listed on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. "Institutions are not only buying Bitcoin spot; rather, we are ...
- Bitcoin’s price down 0.79% on yesterdayon January 27, 2023 at 1:44 am
The Bitcoin (BTC) price today, as of 9:11am, is £18,542, according to CoinMarketCap. That’s down 0.79% on yesterday’s figure of £18,688, up 7.01% on last week and up 37.93% on one month ago. The ...
- SEC once again rejects ARK 21Shares Bitcoin ETF listingon January 26, 2023 at 1:55 pm
The United States Securities and Exchange Commission has once again rejected a proposal to list the ARK 21 Shares Bitcoin ETF on equities exchange Cboe BZX, according to Jan. 26 statement from the SEC ...
- SEC Rejects Ark 21Shares Spot Bitcoin ETF for Second Timeon January 26, 2023 at 1:23 pm
The U.S. markets regular has rejected a score of ETF applications for products that invest directly in bitcoin while approving a number of funds tracking the BTC futures market.
- SEC Rejects Another Spot Bitcoin ETF Bid by ARK and 21Shareson January 26, 2023 at 1:11 pm
The latest rejected proposal came from Cathie Wood’s ARK Invest and global crypto ETF provider 21Shares, which for a second time joined forces in an attempt to launch the ARK 21Shares Bitcoin ETF. It ...
- Why bitcoin is up 40% in January despite crypto industry carnage. Can the rally continue?on January 26, 2023 at 12:21 pm
The latest Distributed Ledger columns from MarketWatch. A weekly look at the most important moves and news in crypto.
- A Key Sign Bitcoin’s New Bull Run Is Here to Stayon January 26, 2023 at 12:06 pm
A key technical indicator has just flashed that Bitcoin is in the early stages of a new bull market. But some bearish signs remain for cryptocurrencies.
- Someone Just Sent $23M In Bitcoin Onto Coinbaseon January 26, 2023 at 9:00 am
What happened: An anonymous cryptocurrency wallet holding $23,953,653 of Bitcoin (CRYPTO: BTC) just transferred their funds onto Coinbase. The bitcoin wallet address tied to this transfer has been ...
- Tesla took a $34 million impairment charge on its bitcoin holdings last quarter as crypto values plungedon January 26, 2023 at 6:23 am
The value of Tesla's bitcoin holdings fell from $218 million in the third quarter to $184 million by the end of the fourth quarter.
- Bitcoin Options Exchange Deribit Looks to Relocate to Dubaion January 25, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Deribit, the world’s biggest Bitcoin and Ether options exchange, is making plans to relocate to Dubai as soon as the third quarter if authorities in the crypto-friendly emirate provide more clarity on ...
via Bing News