Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Bitcoin Exchanges” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- BlackRock spot Bitcoin ETF reaches over $10 billion in AUMon March 1, 2024 at 9:50 am
Out of 3,400 ETFs traded in the US, only 152 ETFs are part of the "$10 Billion Club", according to Bloomberg analyst Eric Balchunas.
- Is Bitcoin's Bull Run Stumbling? Record Grayscale Outflows Signal Potential Shifton March 1, 2024 at 9:28 am
While Bitcoin spot exchange-traded funds (ETFs) witnessed substantial inflows on Thursday, Grayscale's Bitcoin Trust (OTC: GBTC) experienced a staggering ne ...
- Grayscale GBTC Selling Accelerates but Bitcoin ETF Inflows Remain Positive, Led by BlackRockon March 1, 2024 at 9:25 am
Grayscale's GBTC saw nearly $600 million in outflows Thursday, its largest single-day redemption since Jan. 22, but inflows into other spot ...
- Public mining executive predicts 'max pain' phase after bitcoin halvingon March 1, 2024 at 9:00 am
Adam Swick, the chief growth officer at Marathon Digital Holdings, outlined the likely impact of the bitcoin reward halving on price.
- BlackRock's Spot Bitcoin ETF Starts Trading in Brazilon March 1, 2024 at 8:38 am
The asset manager's geographic expansion of the iShares Bitcoin Trust ETF (IBIT) follows its successful introduction in the U.S. in January.
- Analyst projects next leg for bitcoin price with BlackRock ETF holding $10 billionon March 1, 2024 at 7:03 am
Austin Arnold, a crypto analyst with 2.6 million followers, explains bitcoin market dynamics following a surge in ETF holdings.
- Bitcoin ETFs hit record volume as single-day high of $612 million pours into BlackRockon March 1, 2024 at 6:10 am
January's launch of the exchange-traded investment vehicles has helped drive the recent rally in digital assets.
- Bitcoin Soars Towards Record High, Igniting Investor Frenzyon March 1, 2024 at 6:00 am
Bitcoin investors are currently experiencing a significant financial upswing. The digital currency has seen an impressive 20% increase in value over just five days, bringing it tantalizingly close to ...
- ‘Bigger Wave Coming’—Bitcoin Now Braced For Its ‘IPO Moment’ After Huge $2.3 Trillion Ethereum, XRP And Crypto Price Surgeon March 1, 2024 at 3:50 am
The chief investment officer at bitcoin asset manager Bitwise has predicted and even "bigger wave" will hit the bitcoin and crypto market in coming ...
- BofA's Merrill, Wells Fargo offering spot bitcoin ETFs to clientson March 1, 2024 at 12:30 am
Bank of America's Merrill Lynch has been offering spot bitcoin exchange-traded funds to eligible wealth management clients, a source familiar with the matter said on Thursday, highlighting the growing ...
via Bing News