Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Bitcoin hits 3-month low as sentiment takes knock from wave of monetary tighteningon September 19, 2022 at 9:53 am
Bitcoin hit a 3-month low as sentiment took a knock from a wave of monetary tightening that’s set to stretch from Europe to the US this week.
- After Raising $40 Million, African Bitcoin Exchange Yellow Card Seeks ‘Unicorn Status By End Of 2023’on September 19, 2022 at 9:39 am
Pan-African crypto exchange Yellow Card has announced the raise of $40 million in Series B financing to fund its growth plans.
- Why are cryptos falling? Ether drops after Merge, while bitcoin slides to 3-month lowon September 19, 2022 at 9:27 am
Bitcoin on Monday plunged to the lowest level since June 19, ahead of Fed's two-day meeting. Ether dropped to a two-month low.
- 1$BTC : Bitcoin Whale Moves 1,000 BTC Off Coinbaseon September 19, 2022 at 9:08 am
A Bitcoin (CRYPTO: BTC) whale just sent $20,081,001 worth of Bitcoin off Coinbase. The BTC address associated with this transaction has been identified as: 18qLsm4y9CcX5myZYsA7QxeAo5QvrdeRcB.
- Anonymous Bitcoin Whale Just Moved $64M Worth Of BTC Off Coinbaseon September 19, 2022 at 9:07 am
A Bitcoin (CRYPTO: BTC) whale just sent $64,972,841 worth of Bitcoin off Coinbase. The BTC address associated with this transaction has been identified as: 1HxNTUuJiuMnegCbV33zLA6EX9AHnqK3mr.
- Global Bitcoin Market Report (2022 to 2030) - Featuring Coinbase, Unocoin Technologies, Bitstamp and BitPay Among Otherson September 19, 2022 at 5:13 am
Global Bitcoin Market Global Bitcoin Market Dublin, Sept. 19, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Bitcoin Market Size, Share & Trend Analysis Report by Application (Exchanges, Remittance Services, Payment & ...
- Bitcoin falls below $19K, marking a 3-month trading lowon September 19, 2022 at 3:31 am
Bitcoin (BTC-USD) has fallen below the $19,000 marker during Monday's early market trading session. Learn more.
- As Ether, Bitcoin Wilt, Trading Firms Blame Lack of Bullish Catalyst for Market Swoonon September 19, 2022 at 2:59 am
ETH deposits to exchanges have yet to pull back, one observer noted. Investors began moving coins to exchanges ahead of last Thursday's Ethereum Merge.
- Bitcoin price sink or swim: Largest BTC exchange inflow worries investorson September 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
1.69 million Bitcoins were moved to exchanges, the highest inflow since October 2021. The largest single day spike is similar to March 2020, when Bitcoin price suffered a steep decline.
- Bitcoin exchange inflows see biggest one-day spike since March 2020on September 16, 2022 at 9:01 am
Bitcoin (BTC) exchanges have seen huge volumes this month as price declines lead to renewed interest in trading. Data from sources including on-chain analytics firm Glassnode shows exchange ...
via Bing News