Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Why Indians investing in bitcoin and cryptocurrencies is riskyon July 4, 2021 at 11:30 pm
The cryptocurrency ecosystem in India has raised issues pertaining to payment solutions, taxation, and legal status, which could all be sorted if the RBI clarifies its long-term view.
- Bitcoin Wallets Move 7,062 BTC from Coinbaseon July 4, 2021 at 10:12 pm
Bitcoin whale addresses moved more than 7,000 BTC recently in two separate transactions from cryptocurrency Coinbase to digital wallets.
- TA: Bitcoin Correcting Gains, What Could Trigger Fresh Rallyon July 4, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Bitcoin price is correcting gains from well above $35,000 against the US Dollar. BTC is likely to find a strong support near the $34,000 zone in ...
- ‘We Just Ripped The Pin Out Of The Grenade’—Radical New Bitcoin Company Issues Stark Coinbase Price Warningon July 4, 2021 at 4:10 am
Jack Mallers, the chief executive of Chicago-based bitcoin payments company Strike, has warned that Coinbase is not "competing in the free ...
- ‘Make or break’ for Bitcoin, Binance under pressure, Strike attacks Coinbase: Hodler’s Digest, June 27–July 3on July 3, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Bitcoin has suffered a miserable quarter, Bitcoin.org has been forced to take down the BTC’s whitepaper, and Strike has launched a withering attack on Coinbase.
- With Bitcoin At $34K, Consider These Crypto Stockson July 2, 2021 at 7:00 am
Bitcoin prices have crashed from levels of around $62,000 in mid-April to just about $34,000 as of Wednesday. The crypto bear market appears to be driven by a host of factors, including China’s ...
- Largest Exchange In Latin America, Mercado Bitcoin, Raises $200 Million From SoftBankon July 1, 2021 at 9:09 am
Major Brazilian exchange Mercado Bitcoin has raised $200 million from SoftBank and will seek to increase offerings and penetrate new markets. The biggest bitcoin exchange in Latin America, Mercado ...
- SoftBank Invests $200M in Brazil Crypto Exchange Mercado Bitcoinon July 1, 2021 at 4:00 am
Mercado Bitcoin, the largest bitcoin exchange in Brazil, raised $200 million in a Series B round from the SoftBank Latin America Fund. The investment signifies the largest B round in Latin America’s ...
- Mercado Bitcoin, Brazil's first crypto exchange, raises $200M from SoftBankon July 1, 2021 at 4:00 am
Mercado Bitcoin, a Latin American digital assets exchange, has raised $200 million in Series B funding from the SoftBank Latin America Fund. The funding comes just months after São Paulo-based Mercado ...
- Bitcoin Exchange Supply Ratio Drops Significantlyon June 30, 2021 at 9:33 pm
The exchange supply ratio of Bitcoin, which is one of the most important indicators of the overall BTC network activity, has dropped substantially.
via Bing News