The Army used a vehicle-mounted high-energy laser for the first time to successfully engage more than 90 mortar rounds and several unmanned aerial vehicles in flight.
The Army High Energy Laser Mobile Demonstrator, or HEL MD, underwent multiple test events between Nov. 18 and Dec. 10, at White Sands Missile Range.
This was the first full-up demonstration of the HEL MD in the configuration that included the laser and beam director mounted in the vehicle, according to officials of the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command. They said a surrogate radar, the Enhanced Multi Mode Radar, supported the engagement by queuing the laser.
The HEL MD is being developed to show directed-energy force-protection capabilities against rockets, artillery and mortars, known as RAM. It is also intended to protect against unmanned aerial vehicles, known as UAVs, and cruise missiles.
Mortars travel at low velocities for short ranges in high-arching trajectories. These weapons, as well as UAVs, are representative of the threat encountered by U.S. and allied forces on the battlefield, officials said.
Initial system effectiveness was proven through low- and medium-power test demonstration that took place in 2011. High-power testing has now concluded at the High Energy Laser Systems Test Facility on White Sands Missile Range.
The demonstration and testing confirms the capability of a mobile solid-state laser weapon system to counter mortars, UAVs, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors mounted on the UAVs, officials said.
The recent testing utilized a 10-kilowatt class laser. In the future, a 50-kW class laser will be integrated into the HEL MD platform, officials said. The 50-kW laser is scheduled to be upgraded to a 100-kW class laser in subsequent demonstrations, they added.
The Latest on: Vehicle-mounted laser
via Google News
The Latest on: Vehicle-mounted laser
- Laser Defense Pod For The Air Force's Fighter Jets Is Finally Taking Shapeon February 23, 2021 at 11:06 am
The much-delayed SHiELD program is finally coming together, with official plans to deliver the finished demonstrator pod later this year.
- Subsea LiDar Specialist Ventures into Offshore Geophysical Survey Businesson February 23, 2021 at 7:58 am
D at Depth, a company specializing in commercial Subsea LiDAR (SL) laser technology, and a provider of underwater survey services and 3D data ...
- IDEX 2021: Sky Warden offers flexible C-UAS with sensor fusionon February 23, 2021 at 4:57 am
In this context, the launch of the Sky Warden system by MBDA during the IDEX 2021 defence exhibition assumes some significance. The system, which can be vehicle-mounted or dismounted, includes ...
- 3D at Depth Launches Worldwide Offshore Geophysical Survey Services Businesson February 22, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Marine and Underwater Geophyiscal Survey Services 3D at Depth Geophysical Survey Solution LONGMONT, Colo., Feb. 23, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 3D at Depth Inc., the world’s expert in commercial Subsea ...
- America’s Tank-Killer: How the Javelin Missile Came Into Existenceon February 20, 2021 at 11:56 am
The Javelin has been a major success worldwide. In the 1970s, the United States produced what might be considered one of the worst anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) of all time. The M47 Dragon was slow ...
- Upgrade To 100G DP-QPSK Core Networks With The Aid Of Analogon February 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The LO laser, as well as the continuous-wave (CW ... next step beyond this is the surround-view system (Fig. 1). Four vehicle-mounted cameras combine to form an “all-seeing eye.” ...
- The U.S. Army Wants to Use Lasers to Kill Drones and Missileson February 15, 2021 at 5:10 am
a vehicle-mounted high energy laser, to successfully engage more than 90 mortar rounds and several unmanned aerial vehicles in flight at White Sands Missile Range, N.M. “This was the first full ...
- Navy researchers issue laundry list of anti-terrorism technologies for development and prototypingon February 3, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Navy researchers are interested in a wide variety of enabling technologies ranging from biometrics, compact robot, close air support, defensive computer tactics, encryption, to laser Doppler ...
- Acquisition and Contractingon June 4, 2020 at 1:01 am
The multispectral targeting system provides long-range surveillance, high-altitude target acquisition, tracking, range-finding, and laser designation for the ... CVRJ systems are vehicle-mounted ...
- Deep Connections 2019: Exploring Atlantic Canyons and Seamounts of the United States and Canadaon August 11, 2019 at 3:09 pm
She continued to map throughout these years, and began specializing in habitat mapping using high-resolution techniques (such as remotely operated vehicle mounted multibeam ... him to employment at ...
via Bing News