In what could be their most revolutionary project to date, CERN physicists are set to begin an experiment to determine if antigravity exists.
Researchers will use the unique ability of the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) to produce and store antimatter to test an idea that has so far existed only in the realms of science fiction. According to some theories, antimatter may generate a gravitational field that repels anything around it rather than attracting it in the way that normal matter does.
If proven, such a discovery would revolutionise physics – and might have radical practical applications, ranging from aircraft that need scarcely any fuel to space drives that could reach other star systems, The Sunday Times reported. “Antimatter is an enigma,” said Professor Jeffrey Hangst, a lead investigator on the team building the Alpha-2 experiment at CERN which will investigate antimatter’s properties. ”We know that it is like the mirror image of matter, with many of its key properties reversed. What we want to find out is whether that includes its gravitational properties. “Put simply, if we put antimatter into a gravitational field like that of the Earth, does it fall upwards or downwards? If it falls upwards, repelled by the Earth, then we would have discovered something very new and exciting,” he was quoted by the paper as saying. At CERN, Hangst and his colleagues have created a magnetic trap, where atoms of antihydrogen can be held almost stationary in a powerful magnetic field. ALPHA was the first experiment to trap atoms of antihydrogen – neutral antimatter atoms held in place with a strong magnetic field for up to 1000 seconds.
The problem is that this field is so powerful that scientists cannot measure the effect of gravity. Current theoretical arguments predict that hydrogen and antihydrogen atoms have the same mass and should interact with gravity in the same way. If an atom is released, it should experience a downward force whether it’s made of matter or antimatter. “Our apparatus cannot even show us if antimatter falls up or down, so we are building something much more sensitive,” said Hangst.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The ME by Meliá hotel brand welcomes the summer season with Kwãnt by the Sea, the new cocktail pop-up by the prestigious mixologist Erik Lorinczon August 8, 2022 at 1:27 am
ME Ibiza, the luxury lifestyle hotel of the ME by Meliá brand, located in the municipality of Santa Eulalia del Rio. Among the most outstanding proposals on the menu is the Wimbledon cocktail, with a ...
- Rocket Lab Vs. SpaceX: Buy 2nd Place For 98% Lesson August 2, 2022 at 9:41 am
The market cap of Rocket Lab is roughly $2B, while SpaceX commands a valuation of $125B on the private market. Read more about these two companies here.
- The best backpacking backpacks to go the distanceon August 2, 2022 at 4:16 am
Looking for the best backpacking backpacks? Our team of experts narrowed down the best backpacking backpacks on the market.
- Janhvi Kapoor gives a sneak peek into her workout routine and dieton July 30, 2022 at 11:14 pm
Janhvi Kapoor believes in channeling all her focus and dedication to her fitness routine. The actor swears by yoga, intense workouts and Pilates while ...
- Aerial fitness studio AntiGravity Orlando to add location on International Driveon July 27, 2022 at 4:30 pm
AntiGravity Orlando has a new training location off of South International Drive in the works. The aerial yoga and fitness business plans to open a 12,000-square-foot building on 1.53 acres of ...
- Antigravity Batteries XP-10on June 12, 2022 at 8:04 am
The Antigravity Batteries XP-10 is part of the Jump starters test program at Consumer Reports. In our lab tests, Jump starters models like the XP-10 are rated on multiple criteria, such as those ...
- Scientists Debut Hovering "Antigravity" Deviceon September 3, 2020 at 9:17 am
In a new experiment, a team of French scientists created a levitating fluid that allows a tiny boat to float both on top of it — and another below it, seemingly flipping gravity on its head. To ...
- Antigravity Cocooning, meditation, mindfulness are the new workoutson August 14, 2020 at 6:47 pm
In the Antigravity Cocooning workout, members swaddle themselves in sling-style hammocks. Picture: Leah Latella Antigravity Cocooning launched in January at a Crunch Gym location in NewYork City.
- Increase your agility with "AntiGravity Yoga"on August 21, 2018 at 8:22 am
Created by NY-based aerial performance group "AntiGravity" (think Cirque de Soleil) and Crunch yoga director Jess Gronholm, the new class combines yoga, Pilates, aerial moves, inversions and ...
- crunch gymon June 1, 2015 at 7:21 am
Playboy playmate sentenced to probation in body-shaming case 'Antigravity cocoon' class offers ways to rejuvenate, invigorate 'Antigravity cocoon' class offers ways to rejuvenate, invigorate ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Texas Permanent School Fund Has $3.57 Million Position in Cerner Co. (NASDAQ:CERN)on August 8, 2022 at 3:48 am
Texas Permanent School Fund lessened its position in shares of Cerner Co. (NASDAQ:CERN – Get Rating) by 5.8% in the first quarter, according to its most recent filing with the SEC. The firm owned ...
- Cerner Co. (NASDAQ:CERN) Stock Position Reduced by Victory Capital Management Inc.on August 8, 2022 at 1:34 am
Victory Capital Management Inc. lessened its position in shares of Cerner Co. (NASDAQ:CERN – Get Rating) by 76.4% during the first quarter, according to the company in its most recent 13F filing with ...
- StockNews.com Initiates Coverage on Cerner (NASDAQ:CERN)on August 4, 2022 at 11:16 pm
Cerner Stock Performance Shares of CERN stock opened at $94.92 on Friday. The business’s 50 day moving average is $94.91 and its two-hundred day moving average is $93.72. The company has a ...
- Even scientists can't keep up with all the newly discovered particles. Our new naming scheme could helpon August 4, 2022 at 6:18 am
Physicists at Cern have discovered a plethora of new exotic particles being created in the collisions produced by the Large Hadron Collider over the past few years. So many have been found in fact, ...
- KQuasars Launches New Astrophysical NFT Collectionon August 3, 2022 at 11:43 pm
KQuasars launches new astrophysical NFT collection. After studying with renowned physicists, meeting the CERN team and paying close attention to LIGO’s work, Kay Quattrocchi has joined forces with his ...
- CERN goes beyond Higgs Boson, sends satellite to unusual orbiton July 30, 2022 at 9:15 am
A decade after hitting headlines with its experiments on the Higgs Boson particle, CERN has decided to go beyond particle physics experiments with the launch of the latchup and ‘radmon’ experiment ...
- Fact check: Scientists at CERN are not opening a 'portal to hell'on July 29, 2022 at 8:47 am
Scientists at CERN restarted the Large Hadron Collider in April, but this machine cannot open up portals to other dimensions as some online claim.
- No, CERN Didn’t Open a Portal to Another Dimension in July 2022on July 17, 2022 at 10:42 pm
CERN, which is the acronym in the French language for the European Organization for Nuclear Research, has long been the target of fantastical conspiracy theories. So it should come as no surprise ...