Jeff Bezos, as always, is thinking outside the box — way, way outside.
Sunday night on “60 Minutes,” Mr. Bezos, the Amazon founder, floated the notion of using drones to deliver packages. He showed Charlie Rose a video of a tiny helicopter seizing a package from a warehouse and airlifting it to a house. The drone then took off again.
Amazon has already named its future delivery system Prime Air. “I know this looks like science fiction,” Mr. Bezos said. “It’s not.”
Still, even the hyper-optimistic Mr. Bezos cautioned that there were “years of additional work from this point.” He told the show the hardest challenge would be convincing the Federal Aviation Administration that this is a good idea.
Well, the F.A.A. and everyone else. The commercial use of drones was legalized early in 2012, but there has been a good deal of outcry about drones possibly being used for surveillance. Some communities are banning local police from using drones. How receptive they would be to e-commerce applications is unclear.
An Amazon promotional page for Prime Air, however, said the delivery system was practically a done deal.
“From a technology point of view, we’ll be ready to enter commercial operations as soon as the necessary regulations are in place,” the company said. It said that could be two years away.
The Latest on: Delivery Drones
- Tech roundup: Restaurants remain fans of delivery fee capson April 19, 2021 at 10:21 am
Leaders in New York and Philadelphia say they haven't hurt sales, despite a recent DoorDash report. Plus, Toast adds new contactless payment ...
- Drone Delivery Canada Corpon April 19, 2021 at 8:36 am
What a moronic arrogant statement... If that is the case, why the f... you are still hanging around on an online board? FLT will change the course anytime whenever there is positive news hit ( ...
- China’s Meituan Seeks $10 Billion War Chest for Drones and Driverless Carson April 19, 2021 at 6:04 am
The company also unveiled a new generation of self-driving delivery cars that it said were smarter and safer than previous versions.
- Meituan to raise $10b from share sale, convertible bonds for R&D in drone deliveryon April 19, 2021 at 4:08 am
Meituan will raise $7b in a share sale and sell $3b in convertible bonds to fund R&D of autonomous delivery vehicles and drone delivery,.
- Drone Package Delivery Market worth $39,013 million by 2030on April 18, 2021 at 11:12 pm
According to a research report Drone Package Delivery Market by Solution Platform Infrastructure Software Service Type Fixed Wing Multirotor Hybrid Range Short 25 km Package Size 2Kg 2 5 Kg 5Kg ...
- Delivery Drone Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2026 | Sky-Futures, Airware, SenseFly, EHANGon April 16, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Latest released the research study on Global Delivery Drone Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope Delivery Drone Market research report shows the ...
- Drone Delivery Service Market Growth Analysis Report, Insights, Outlook, Industry Analysis, Share, Trends, Applications, Types and Forecasts 2027on April 14, 2021 at 6:45 am
Besides exploring the company profiles of prominent market leaders, the research gather and analyses raw data on ...
- Drone Package Delivery Market worth $39,013 million by 2030, at a CAGR of 53.8%on April 13, 2021 at 11:28 am
According to a research report " Drone Package Delivery Market by Solution (Platform, Infrastructure, Software, Service), Type (Fixed-Wing, Multirotor, Hybrid) Range (Short 25 km), Package Size (
- Global Drone Delivery Market to 2030 - Focus on Drone Receptacle, Drone Type, Package Size, Range, and Applicationon April 8, 2021 at 8:45 am
Focus on Drone Receptacle, Drone Type, Package Size, Range, and Application - Analysis and Forecast, 2023 to 2030" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Drone Package Delivery Market worth $39,013 million by 2030 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on April 6, 2021 at 4:30 am
According to the new market research report "Drone Package Delivery Market by Solution (Platform, Infrastructure, Software, Service), Type (Fixed-Wing, Multirotor, Hybrid) Range (Short 25 ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Prime Air
- Site of Julius Caesar’s Assassination Will Be Transformed Into Open-Air Museumon April 19, 2021 at 11:26 am
Rome's "Area Sacra," a sunken square home to the ruins of four ancient temples, doubles as a sanctuary for stray cats ...
- You're Probably Air Drying Your Clothes All Wrongon April 19, 2021 at 9:00 am
Mother nature offers a cost effective means to wrinkle-free clothes drying, one that can also help disinfect and remove odors. It’s... the sun, and its UV rays not only kill bacteria, but can also ...
- Wholee Prime smashes 3 million app downloads globallyon April 19, 2021 at 5:33 am
Zeroes in on 100,000 Prime members - UK leads the growth of App downloads and Prime Members for Wholee LONDON, April 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Zero markup and ethical consumer shopping app, Wholee ...
- Enabling new air, space and satellite capabilities through the cloudon April 19, 2021 at 1:30 am
AWS’ new leader for its Aerospace and Satellite business, Clint Crosier, discusses the cloud’s role in enabling space exploration.
- Prime Minister Trudeau to participate in Leaders Summit on Climateon April 17, 2021 at 2:27 pm
CNW/ - The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that he will participate in the virtual Leaders Summit on Climate hosted by the President of the United States of America, Joe Biden, on ...
- Former ‘Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air’ star Janet Hubert snags recurring role on ‘The Last O.G.’on April 16, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Janet Hubert has a reason to rejoice. After more than 25 years, the former “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” star has landed a gig on another hit prime-time sitcom. Hubert reportedly will join the cast in the ...
- Biden uses meeting with Japanese Prime Minister to emphasize new focus on Chinaon April 16, 2021 at 2:58 pm
President Joe Biden hosted Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga at the White House on Friday for his first in-person meeting with a foreign leader as he refocuses American foreign policy toward East Asia.
- New York Yankees’ Amazon Partnership Begins Sunday With 21 Games Live On Prime Videoon April 16, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Sunday marks the first of 21 New York Yankees games that will be simulcast on Amazon Prime as the company continues to increase its sports streaming content footprint.
- Air Canada bailout saves Boeing 737 Max jet orderson April 16, 2021 at 9:23 am
Air Canada scrubbed orders for 21 Max jets last year after getting hit by the pandemic and more looked at risk. But the Canadian government's cash injection requires the airline to buy the jets it ...
- Joby Details Agility Prime eVTOL Deliverieson April 15, 2021 at 7:06 am
Joby Aviation plans to deliver two of its electric vertical-lift aircraft to the U.S. Air Force this year for flight testing, to be followed by more in 2022 and potentially 2023 under the Agility ...
via Bing News