Jeff Bezos, as always, is thinking outside the box — way, way outside.
Sunday night on “60 Minutes,” Mr. Bezos, the Amazon founder, floated the notion of using drones to deliver packages. He showed Charlie Rose a video of a tiny helicopter seizing a package from a warehouse and airlifting it to a house. The drone then took off again.
Amazon has already named its future delivery system Prime Air. “I know this looks like science fiction,” Mr. Bezos said. “It’s not.”
Still, even the hyper-optimistic Mr. Bezos cautioned that there were “years of additional work from this point.” He told the show the hardest challenge would be convincing the Federal Aviation Administration that this is a good idea.
Well, the F.A.A. and everyone else. The commercial use of drones was legalized early in 2012, but there has been a good deal of outcry about drones possibly being used for surveillance. Some communities are banning local police from using drones. How receptive they would be to e-commerce applications is unclear.
An Amazon promotional page for Prime Air, however, said the delivery system was practically a done deal.
“From a technology point of view, we’ll be ready to enter commercial operations as soon as the necessary regulations are in place,” the company said. It said that could be two years away.
The Latest on: Delivery Drones
- Skyports partners with Swoop Aero to provide UK-wide drone delivery serviceon January 21, 2021 at 2:13 am
Drone delivery service provider, Skyports, partners with Australian drone-powered health logistics company, Swoop Aero, to provide UK-wide drone delivery service. Drone delivery service provider, ...
- Commercial Drones Market Size | COVID-19 Impact Analysis | Forecast to 2023on January 20, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Orion Market Research OMR recently published a market research report on the Global Commercial Drones Market According to OMR analysis the Global Commercial Drones Market is expected to grow ...
- Drone Delivery Canada Announces Update on Healthcare Projectson January 20, 2021 at 1:17 pm
CNW/ - Drone Delivery Canada Corp. (TSXV: FLT) (OTC: TAKOF) (Frankfurt: A2AMGZ or ABB.F) (the 'Company' or 'DDC') is ...
- ANRA Developing UK Medical Drone Delivery Networkon January 20, 2021 at 12:30 pm
ANRA Technologies, a leader in integrated airspace management, today announced its participation in the CAELUS project, a consortium led by AGS Airports that will develop and trial the UK’s first ...
- Aberdeen airport owner to launch first medical delivery drone in UKon January 20, 2021 at 5:36 am
The firm behind Aberdeen International Airport has announced it will launch the UK’s first medical delivery drone network.
- Pizza Hut Is Testing Drone Delivery in Israelon January 19, 2021 at 1:09 pm
For the Israeli drone test, the country's Ministry of Transportation is reportedly only allowing drones to fly from one restaurant and only within a specific 50-square-mile "air b ...
- Pizza Hut Israel Plans Drone Delivery Trialon January 18, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Pizza Hut Israel is trialing a new program that would enable drones to bring orders for delivery to pre-approved hubs.
- Pizza Hut Hopes Drop Zones Can Help Bring Drone Delivery to Fruitionon January 18, 2021 at 7:31 am
Instead of flying pizzas directly to customers’ homes, Pizza Hut Israel this June plans to test sending drones to drop multiple orders at government-approved landing zones where drivers will pick up ...
- Verizon, UPS, and Skyward announce connected drone deliveryon January 15, 2021 at 2:36 am
They have collaborated to deliver retail products with connected drones connected to Verizon 4G LTE, as well as 5G testing and integration for delivery, at The Villages in Florida.
- Communications for Drone Delivery: Skyward, Verizon, and UPS Partneron January 14, 2021 at 9:06 am
For safety and drone traffic management, a robust communication system for drone delivery is a critical component that must be in place before delivery can be implemented at scale. Skyward, Verizon, U ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: Prime Air
- US Air Force pilots could fly Agility Prime aircraft in 2021on January 21, 2021 at 3:14 am
US Air Force (USAF) pilots could fly as early as April or May the electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft that are being offered for the ...
- In a first, 3 Rafales reaching India to be refuelled mid-air by UAE Air Forceon January 20, 2021 at 10:36 pm
India and the UAE are expected to take bilateral ties to the next level with the two countries, along with France, discussing conducting trilateral military exercises ...
- Is ‘The Carol Burnett Show’ on Amazon Prime?on January 20, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Carol Burnett ended 'The Carol Burnett Show' in 1978. She said it 'was much classier for me to say bye-bye first.' ...
- Amazon Prime membership spikes to all-time high during pandemicon January 20, 2021 at 5:27 am
Amazon added 30 million shoppers in the past year, CIRP estimates. It’s the highest proportion of Amazon customers using Prime since the researchers began studying the program in 2012. It is yet ...
- US Air Force's Roper views supersonic transportation as service's next “Prime” technologyon January 20, 2021 at 3:01 am
The US Air Force’s (USAF’s) outgoing acquisition chief has laid the foundation for supersonic transportation, which is a flight faster than Mach 1 (1,236 km/h at ...
- Trump didn’t influence program details on Air Force One, JEDI, says acquisition headon January 19, 2021 at 9:38 pm
Trump's input into the Air Force One replacement was cosmetic, according to Ellen Lord, the outgoing defense acquisition chief.
- Agility Prime to Study the Use of Radar Developed for Cars in eVTOLson January 19, 2021 at 2:04 pm
The U.S. Air Force is studying a radar sensing solution used by the automotive industry to see if it can be modified for eVTOL operations.
- Tesla to discuss EV launch in Pakistan with country’s Prime Ministeron January 19, 2021 at 9:32 am
Tesla executives are expected to meet with Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan to discuss investment opportunities involving electric vehicles.
- Looking for an air purifier? Here are 12 bestsellerson January 18, 2021 at 11:55 am
If you're unsure what kind of purifier would be best for you, check out this list of the 12 best air purifiers: ...
- Amazon Prime Video Summoned By Indian Government Over Series Controversyon January 17, 2021 at 6:01 pm
Amazon Prime Video has been summoned by the Information & Broadcasting Ministry of India for allegedly "hurting Hindu religious sentiments" and encouraging violence and abuses through its platform.
via Bing News