Jeff Bezos, as always, is thinking outside the box — way, way outside.
Sunday night on “60 Minutes,” Mr. Bezos, the Amazon founder, floated the notion of using drones to deliver packages. He showed Charlie Rose a video of a tiny helicopter seizing a package from a warehouse and airlifting it to a house. The drone then took off again.
Amazon has already named its future delivery system Prime Air. “I know this looks like science fiction,” Mr. Bezos said. “It’s not.”
Still, even the hyper-optimistic Mr. Bezos cautioned that there were “years of additional work from this point.” He told the show the hardest challenge would be convincing the Federal Aviation Administration that this is a good idea.
Well, the F.A.A. and everyone else. The commercial use of drones was legalized early in 2012, but there has been a good deal of outcry about drones possibly being used for surveillance. Some communities are banning local police from using drones. How receptive they would be to e-commerce applications is unclear.
An Amazon promotional page for Prime Air, however, said the delivery system was practically a done deal.
“From a technology point of view, we’ll be ready to enter commercial operations as soon as the necessary regulations are in place,” the company said. It said that could be two years away.
The Latest on: Delivery Drones
- FAA approves airworthiness criteria for Wingcopter delivery droneon May 12, 2022 at 4:01 pm
FAA pproval marks a critical milestone in the certification process of Wingcopter’s flagship delivery drone in the U.S.
- A sub above? Jersey Mike’s partners with drone delivery provider Flytrexon May 12, 2022 at 8:29 am
The sandwich chain, which brands itself as “A Sub Above,” on Thursday announced a partnership with Israeli drone delivery provider Flytrex to deliver subs through the sky to customers in Holly Springs ...
- Royal Mail set to expand use of drones for delivery to island destinationson May 12, 2022 at 7:29 am
The delivery company has already tested its use of UAVs (uncrewed aerial vehicles) in four drone trials in the last 18 months – including to the Isles of Mull and Scilly and between Kirkwall and North ...
- Jersey Mike's to Pilot Drone Delivery with Flytrexon May 12, 2022 at 6:36 am
Jersey Mike’s Subs today announced it has partnered with Flytrex, a leader in on-demand, ultrafast delivery for food and retail, to deliver food orders via drone in Holly Spring ...
- Special delivery: Royal Mail to expand drone drops with 50 new routeson May 12, 2022 at 12:14 am
The new ‘postal drone routes’ will improve the reliability of mail services to remote communities, the company said ...
- Swiggy To Test Drones For Delivery Of Orderson May 11, 2022 at 9:10 am
Swiggy announced the use of drones for deliveries as a pilot project in NCR & Karnataka. It has partnered with Chennai-based Garuda Aerospace to operate drones. Jude Sannith checks in to Garuda's ...
- Drone Package Delivery Market worth $5,556 million by 2030 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on May 10, 2022 at 9:58 am
CHICAGO, May 10, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a research report "Drone Package Delivery Market by Solution (Platform, Infrastructure, Software, Service), Type (Fixed-Wing, Multirotor, Hybrid), ...
- Coronavirus: China's drones fail to deploy during Shanghai lockdown as aerial delivery fleet grounded by tight airspace and flight ruleson May 10, 2022 at 2:30 am
Aerial delivery drones were conspicuously missing during Shanghai's month-long Covid-19 lockdown, even though 25 million residents in one of China's biggest population centres struggled for daily ...
- Insights on the Delivery Drones Global Market to 2028 - Increase in E-commerce Sales and Demand for Contactless Deliveries Presents Opportunitieson May 9, 2022 at 8:45 am
The "Delivery Drones Market by Type, Payload, Range, End User, and Geography - Global Forecasts to 2028" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Drone delivery is giving stadium food a lifton May 6, 2022 at 9:23 am
Drones delivered hot dogs and chips to hungry baseball fans as part of a pilot by Levy, Valqari, USOG and Purdue Athletics.
via Bing News
The Latest on: Prime Air
- ‘Outer Range’ Season 2 ‘Is Up in the Air,’ Says Star Imogen Pootson May 13, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Outer Range' Season 2 has yet to be confirmed, and star Imogen Poots says it's still 'up in the air.' Here's what we know.
- Best Apple Deals On Amazon Ahead of Prime Day 2022on May 11, 2022 at 9:45 am
Apple held its first launch event of 2022 in March, and the brand added an array of new products from an updated iPhone SE to an ultra-powerful Mac Studio and even an upgraded iPad Air to Apple's ...
- Amazon Prime Day: Most popular product categories to shopon May 11, 2022 at 7:05 am
To help you find the best deals on the items you want on Prime Day, we’ve listed products from the most popular categories to shop.
- Everything We Know So Far About Amazon Prime's "The Summer I Turned Pretty"on May 11, 2022 at 6:29 am
creating and championing stories about coming of age at every age for Prime Video’s global audience.” So, while the first season of The Summer I Turned Pretty has yet to air, we can speculate that a ...
- Starstreak, the fastest surface-to-air missile ever made, is bringing down Russian helicopters in Ukraineon May 11, 2022 at 5:28 am
After launch, a Starstreak missile quickly accelerates to Mach 4 — roughly 3,000 mph — making it the fast surface-to-air missile ever.
- Military rescues Sri Lanka's Prime Minister in pre-dawn operation as violent clashes leave seven deadon May 9, 2022 at 11:47 pm
Sri Lanka's outgoing Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa was rescued in a pre-dawn military operation Tuesday, hours after his resignation, as violent clashes between pro and anti-government protesters ...
- The Best Apple MacBook Deals on Amazon Ahead of Amazon Prime Dayon May 9, 2022 at 3:36 pm
You don't have to wait until July for Amazon Prime Day 2022 to save on an Apple MacBook — Amazon is offering huge savings on the Apple laptop right now. If you are looking to buy a new MacBook Pro or ...
- Join the air-frying revolution with this brilliant Ninja, now $50 off at Amazonon May 9, 2022 at 9:52 am
Specifically, there's no better time to get the Ninja AF101, because Amazon's marked it down a hefty $50 bucks. Your price? A ridonculous $80. If you have Amazon Prime, you’ll get free shipping, of ...
- Best kitchen appliance deals on Amazon ahead of Amazon Prime Dayon May 7, 2022 at 5:00 am
(Not the right air fryer for you? Check out our rundown of the best air fryer deals on Amazon ahead of Amazon Prime Day.) The TikTok-famous kitchen gadget, rated 4.6 stars by Amazon reviewers, is ...
- Indian Army proposes to buy two new regiments of Akash Prime air defence missile systemon May 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
In comparison to the existing Akash System, Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency seeker for improved accuracy ...
via Bing News