Anyone with access to a welder and the Internet soon could make his or her own replacement parts or tools with a new 3D metal printer that can be built in any garage.
Until recently, most of the 3D printing hype has swirled around plastic 3D printers, which have been used to make everything from clothing to art. And while 3D metal printers do exist, their price tag starts at a half million dollars.
Now, scientists have built an open-source 3D metal printer that costs under $1,200, sharing their design and software with the maker community.
“We have open-sourced the plans,” in the hopes of accelerating the technology by allowing others to build upon the design, said projectleader Joshua Pearce, a materials engineer at Michigan Technological University in Houghton. [The 10 Weirdest Things Created By 3D Printing]
The snazzy device is modeled after a RepRap (short for “replicating rapid prototype”), a 3D printer that can print most of its own components. The printer uses a metal inert gas (MIG) welder to lay down thin layers of steel, much like plastic printers do, and build complex geometric objects. All of the parts needed to build the metal printer are things one could buy or print using a plastic 3D printer, Pearce told LiveScience.
Pearce envisions the printer being used to make replacement parts for things such as bicycles or to print scientific tools, which could radically reduce the cost of lab equipment, he said.
“I hope to see a large number of small companies starting up to make specialty parts,” he said.
The Latest on: 3D Metal Printer
- 3D printing looks to solve the housing shortageon May 1, 2021 at 1:07 pm
By TERENCE CHEA The Associated Press A new generation of startups wants to disrupt the way houses are built by automating production with industrial 3D printers. 3D printing, also known as additive ...
- Reminder: Save 32% on the Toybox 3D Printer Deluxe Bundleon April 30, 2021 at 3:00 am
We have an awesome deal on the Toybox 3D Printer Deluxe Bundle in the Geeky Gadgets Deals store today. The Toybox 3D Printer Deluxe Bundle is available in ...
- Startups try to solve the housing crisis by 3D printing space-age dwellingson April 28, 2021 at 9:48 am
To the extent that 3D printing can offer a faster, cheaper way to build even single family housing units or small units, it can address a portion of the problem.” ...
- 3D-printing marketplace Shapeways set for SPACon April 28, 2021 at 8:21 am
Shapeways this morning confirmed earlier reports that it has entered into a deal to go public via SPAC. The model, which has become increasingly popular among tech companies in the past year, has ...
- ExOne Accelerates Expansion into 3D Printed Tooling Business with Acquisition of Freshmade 3D Assetson April 28, 2021 at 5:48 am
The ExOne Company (Nasdaq: XONE), the global leader in industrial sand and metal 3D printers using binder jetting technology, today announced ...
- 3D printing's new challenge: Solving the US housing shortageon April 27, 2021 at 11:49 pm
A new generation of startups wants to disrupt the way houses are built by automating production with industrial 3D printers. 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, uses machines to deposit ...
- 3D Printing Materials Market to Reach $18 Billion in 2030on April 26, 2021 at 8:25 am
IDTechEx research shows the growth in 3D printing materials will reach nearly $20 billion by the end of the decade.
- 3D Printing Metal Powder Market Expected a Drastic Growth, Key Insights, Type, End-use and Regional Demand, Latest trends by 2027on April 26, 2021 at 5:07 am
The detailed summary of the worldwide 3D Printing Metal Powder Market Report provides a compressed list of market opportunities challenges drivers and market trends Additionally it provides market ...
- 3D Printing Metal Market Trends, Size and Demand Analysis With Leading Players – 3D Systems Corporation, Stratasys Ltd., General Electric Companyon April 20, 2021 at 11:42 pm
The Global 3D Printing Metal Market is projected to reach USD 6,077.9 Million in 2027. The 3D printing metal market is experiencing an exponential growth rate attributable to the increasing use of ...
- 3D Printing Metal Market 2021-2027: Market Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, and Threatson April 20, 2021 at 11:16 am
The 3D Printing Metal Market report reveals the industry s current and potential growth trends as well as information on the geographies that make up the geographic spectrum of the 3D Printing Metal ...
via Bing News
The Latest on: 3D printing
- 3D printing's new challenge: Solving the US housing shortageon May 1, 2021 at 6:03 pm
A new generation of startups wants to disrupt the way houses are built by automating production with industrial 3D printers.
- 3D Printing in Automotive Additive Marketon May 1, 2021 at 9:58 am
Stratasys, Arcam AB, 3D Systems, Proto Labs Inc, SLM Solutions, Materialise, ExOne GmbH, EOS GmbH, Concept Laser, Ultimaker Regions Covered in the Global 3D Printing in Automotive Additive Market: The ...
- Global Polylactic Acid for 3D Printing Market 2021 Detailed Analysis | ColorFabb BV, Fillamentum Manufacturing Czech s.r.o.on May 1, 2021 at 8:14 am
MarketsandResearch.biz proclaims the addition of a new research report titled as, Global Polylactic Acid for 3D Printing Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 ...
- Companies using 3D printing to build houses at 'half the time for half the price'on May 1, 2021 at 6:49 am
A 3D printer can build the walls of a house in as little as two days versus weeks or months with traditional construction materials.
- 3D Printer Control Board Packs A Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4on May 1, 2021 at 4:01 am
Traditionally, 3D printer control boards have used simplistic 8-bit microcontrollers to command the stepper drivers and ultimately move the machine where it needs to go. Newer boards have switched ...
- 3D Concrete Printing Market Report 2017 Global Industry Analysis By Size, Trends, Share, Competitive Landscape, And Regional Forecast To 2025on April 30, 2021 at 10:04 am
Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report LLC presents an extensive report on " 3D Concrete Printing Market" report offers detailed profiles of the key players to bring out a clear view of the ...
- Colorado College Student Uses 3D Printing To Help Build Schools In Developing Countrieson April 30, 2021 at 7:13 am
A young woman with an innovative mind is working to make education more accessible in developing countries by using 3D printers.
- Ark Funds Adds Another 3D Printing SPAC To ETFson April 30, 2021 at 6:20 am
Ark Funds have been big proponents of scooping up shares of companies associated with 3D printing and digital manufacturing. What Happened: On Wednesday, Ark Funds bought 506,397 shares of Galileo ...
- The best 3D Printer deals for 2021on April 30, 2021 at 5:59 am
Whether you're looking for a beginner machine or you're trying to step up to some more advanced stuff, 3D printers can be pretty expensive. These are the best discounts around on any machine.
- An Attempt At 3D Printing A Hybrid Rocket Engineon April 29, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Liquid fuelled engines are throttleable and monstrously powerful, but highly complex. Meanwhile, solid rocket engines are simple and cheap, but once you light them, they’re going full-bore ...
via Bing News