China’s new stealthy unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), dubbed Sharp Sword by the domestic media, shows its eagerness to catch up in the field of drone technology.
It bears a striking similarity in its overall shape to the bat-winged RQ-170 Sentinel, built by the US company Lockheed Martin and operated by the Americans since around 2007.
China is thus well-behind the Americans but is fast developing an impressive UAV capability of its own.
Little is known about the precise specifications and capabilities of the Chinese drone.
What is clear from recent air shows and the Chinese technical press is that China has developed a variety of UAVs matching virtually every category deployed by the US.
They range from small tactical drones of limited endurance to much larger systems that look strikingly like US Reaper or Predator models, and just like their US counterparts some of these Chinese drones are equipped with hard-points on their wings to carry munitions.
The two leading players in the drone club – the US and Israel – have developed UAVs for a variety of purposes. These range from intelligence-gathering to strikes against targets on the ground.
Not surprisingly, China sees UAVs in exactly the same light.
UAVs are fast becoming an especially useful tool for Beijing in monitoring activity over contested areas of the South China and East China Seas.
They are also an easy way to demonstrate presence in a disputed zone. China is believed to have converted a number of out-of-date J-6 fighters into UAVs, which may well be being used to monitor the disputed Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands.
Japan hopes to deploy advanced US-built drones for similar surveillance purposes.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Guidelines needed for maritime drone useon July 15, 2021 at 1:40 am
The successful trial of an autonomous drone capable of long-endurance unmanned ocean mapping operations is only the latest development in a contest f ...
- Guam’s skies will light up with fireworks & drone light showson July 15, 2021 at 1:30 am
Seventy-seven years ago, the island of Guam rose above the devastation of World War II. Reflecting on the strength and resilience demonstrated by Guam's elders, Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero and the Mayors' ...
- From Proxy War to Drone War : No Small Stepon July 15, 2021 at 12:24 am
Undeniably, the June 24 drone attack on the Indian Air Force (IAF) station in Jammu which is not far away from Indias border with Pakistan has had an element of surprise.
- Explore Thousands Of FAA Drone And Unidentified Aircraft Incident Reports With Our Interactive Toolon July 14, 2021 at 12:24 pm
The FAA has a little-known database with over 10,000 incident reports. Our new application intends to crowdsource the investigation into them.
- IDF Assessment of Northern Front: Hezbollah to Wage Next War With Long-Range Drones, Thousands of Rockets Dailyon July 14, 2021 at 10:56 am
An Israeli soldier stands near the border with Lebanon, Dec. 5, 2018. Photo: Reuters / Ronen Zvulun / File. Following ...
- Anti-Drone Advocacy Just Took a Major Leap Forwardon July 14, 2021 at 7:16 am
While it remains to be seen whether the letter will have any impact on the Biden administration’s policy, the fact that it was written and the arguments it expresses represent important new ...
- Take the Drone Rorschach Teston July 11, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Everyone who looks at a drone sees something different. Some people see killer robots while others see a unique platform that can save lives in war by not endangering pilots and ensuring precision ...
- Future wars: Artificial Intelligence, drones and cyber weaponson July 8, 2021 at 12:46 am
Israel has shown the way how to use AI during the war and have even referred to it as the “The First Artificial Intelligence War” against Hamas during its operation Guardian of the Walls.
- How Drones Shaped Warfare — and Israelon July 7, 2021 at 9:21 am
Drones are transforming the way wars are fought. Pioneered in Israel in the 1980s and developed further in the United States in the 1990s, drones are now being used by Iran, China, Turkey, and other ...
- SAPS looks to deploy drones in war against crimeon July 7, 2021 at 3:49 am
The South African Police Service joins forces with the private sector to trial a project that seeks to deploy crime-fighting drones in the City of.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 2 drones spotted in Jammu's Kaluchak, Akhnoor areaon July 15, 2021 at 5:56 am
No end to the drone threat in Jammu. Now, two drones were spotted in Kaluchak and Akhnoor areas of Jammu on Wednesday night.
- Govt Issues Draft Drone Rules, Proposed Changes to Make Flying Drones Much Easieron July 15, 2021 at 3:59 am
Here are the key proposed changes under Draft Drone Rules 2021 that will make flying drones in India much easier.
- Aviation ministry issues draft rules to ensure ease of using drones in Indiaon July 15, 2021 at 1:18 am
No flight permission will be required up to 400 feet in green zones and up to 200 feet in the area between 8 and 12 km from the airport perimeter, the draft rules stated ...
- U.S. Marines Are Testing Tiny Drones That Can Be Fired From Grenade Launcherson July 15, 2021 at 12:22 am
As technology is advancing, so are the methods used by the military. We've seen ground drones being used for a wide range of military operations in Europe. Now, the U.S. Marines are demonstrating what ...
- Ease of using drones: Government proposes radical changes under new ruleson July 14, 2021 at 11:35 pm
You may soon not need to fill 25 forms or get a plethora of approvals to use drones and the fees for using this technology will also be cut sharply. What’s more, no pilot licence required for small ...
- Nebo Recharge Infrastructure Will Use Drones to Keep Your EVs Rolling Foreveron July 14, 2021 at 11:10 pm
The future of EVs looks more and more promising. With technology advancing at an alarming rate, it won’t be long until everyone has an EV. However, all this raises on very important question; where is ...
- DeSoto County Sheriffs set to receive new droneson July 14, 2021 at 3:57 pm
DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. — More eyes are coming to the skies over DeSoto County. The Board of Supervisors just approved the purchase of four new drones for the sheriff’s department bringing the total ...
- Engineers design swarm of autonomous drones to locate gas leakson July 14, 2021 at 10:19 am
An international team of engineers has developed an autonomous swarm of tiny drones capable of locating gas leaks.
- Swarm of autonomous tiny drones can localize gas leakson July 14, 2021 at 9:07 am
When there is a gas leak in a large building or at an industrial site, human firefighters currently need to go in with gas sensing instruments. Finding the gas leak may take considerable time, while ...
- Amazon patents trucks that unleash and direct fleets of delivery droneson July 14, 2021 at 1:20 am
First, a “primary vehicle” (read a van, truck, car etc) would be loaded up with items to be delivered, as well as secondary vehicles – either flying drones, small ground vehicles ...