New 3-D printing process speeds up fabrication of multiple-material objects
Researchers at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering have developed a faster 3D printing process and are now using it to model and fabricate heterogeneous objects, which comprise multiple materials.
Although 3D printing – or direct digital manufacturing – has the potential to revolutionize various industries by providing faster, cheaper and more accurate manufacturing options, fabrication time and the complexity of multi-material objects have long been a hurdle to its widespread use in the marketplace. With this newly developed 3D printing process, however, USC Viterbi professor Yong Chen and his team have shaved the fabrication time down to minutes, bringing the manufacturing world one step closer to achieving its goal.
“Digital material design and fabrication enables controlled material distributions of multiple base materials in a product component for significantly improved design performance. Such fabrication capability opens up exciting new options that were previously impossible,” said Yong Chen, Ph.D., professor in the Daniel J. Epstein Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering and the study’s lead researcher.
Traditional modeling and prototyping approaches used to take days, but over the past several decades various additive manufacturing (AM) processes have been developed to fabricate both homogeneous and heterogeneous objects more quickly. Currently, AM processes such as multi-jet modeling, which create a solid 3D object from a digital model by laying down successive layers of material, can fabricate a complex object in a matter of hours.
Last year, Chen and another team of USC Viterbi researchers improved an AM-related process called mask-image-projection-based stereolithography (MIP-SL) to drastically speed up the fabrication of homogeneous 3D objects. In the MIP-SL process, a 3D digital model of an object is sliced by a set of horizontal planes and each slice is converted into a two-dimensional mask image. The mask image is then projected onto a photocurable liquid resin surface and light is projected onto the resin to cure it in the shape of the related layer.
Furthermore, the USC Viterbi team developed a two-way movement design for bottom-up projection so that the resin could be quickly spread into uniform thin layers. As a result, production time was cut from hours to a few minutes. In their latest paper, the team successfully applies this more efficient process to the fabrication of heterogeneous objects that comprise different materials that cure at different rates. This new 3D printing process will allow heterogeneous prototypes and objects such as dental and robotics models to be fabricated more cost- and time-efficiently than ever before.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Direct digital manufacturing
The Latest Bing News on:
Direct digital manufacturing
- Taiwan ambassador: Beijing is 'manufacturing' the crisis, China has prepared invasion force 'for some time'on August 7, 2022 at 11:25 am
Taiwan's Representative to the U.S. Hsiao Bi-khim called China's response "unprecedented," but former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley called it a "temper tantrum." ...
- Buy Birlasoft; target of Rs 420: ICICI Directon August 6, 2022 at 11:46 pm
ICICI Direct is bullish on Birlasoft has recommended buy rating on the stock with a target price of Rs 420 in its research report dated August 04, 2022.
- Direct-to-Consumer Sales Are Fueling Supply-Chain Tech Growthon August 6, 2022 at 4:00 am
Software providers that help companies manage inventories are expanding as goods manufacturers look to sell directly to shoppers.
- Festo Marks 50 Years in the U.S. with Major Expansions in U.S.-Based Manufacturing and R&Don August 4, 2022 at 11:13 am
The Festo Mason, Ohio, Campus will be the site of a Global Production Center and Technology Engineering Center.
- Additive Manufacturing in the Auto Industryon August 4, 2022 at 9:54 am
Charles R. Goulding and Julia Wallace review thoughts from a panel discussion on the use of AM in the automotive industry.
- Miller Electric Mfg., a wholly owned subsidiary of Illinois Tool Works selects Part Analytics to Drive Supply Chain Digital Transformationon August 4, 2022 at 7:00 am
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, a leading worldwide manufacturer of Miller® brand arc welding equipment, has partnered with Part Analytics, the direct materials supply management platform that applies ...
- Fluence Announces New Contract Manufacturing Facility in North America to Address Ongoing Supply Chain Constraints and Better Serve Regional Needson August 4, 2022 at 5:00 am
Fluence’s contract manufacturing expansion will allow greater supply chain flexibility and support a higher volume of production as part of its broader regionalization strategy to best support ...
- Using artificial intelligence to control digital manufacturingon August 2, 2022 at 9:24 am
A new computer vision system watches the 3D printing process and adjusts velocity and printing path to avoid errors. Training the system in simulation, researchers from MIT and elsewhere avoid the ...
- Five Steps to Environmental Digital Transformationon August 1, 2022 at 9:50 am
With the regulatory complexities and sustainability goals increasing over the years, environment, health and safety (EHS) teams are recognizing the importance of getting on board with digital ...
- 5,000 jobs created in digital sector – Ursulaon July 29, 2022 at 2:01 am
Since its establishment, the Accra Digital Centre has boosted job creation with a little over 5000 direct and indirect jobs created so far, Minister of Communication and Digitalization, Ursula ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- 3D Printing Titanium Powder Market 2022, Worth USD 434.5 Mn by 2028 at CAGR of 7.5% – Report Spread across 101 Pageson August 7, 2022 at 8:58 pm
The 3D Printing Titanium Powder market report provides a detailed analysis of global market size, regional and country-level market size, segmentation market growth, market share, competitive ...
- This child-friendly 3D printer is currently 25% off MSRPon August 7, 2022 at 1:00 am
The Toybox 3D Printer Deluxe Bundle allows kids to choose and print their own toys, all while learning about cutting-edge technology. In a special deal for Macworld readers, you can currently pick up ...
- Cheaper 3D printing uses little nozzles and a ‘slicer’on August 5, 2022 at 9:00 am
The new approach, called Multiplexed Fused Filament Fabrication (MF3), uses a single gantry, the sliding structure on a 3D printer, to print individual or multiple parts simultaneously. By programming ...
- Do-it-yourself D&D - how one team made a universe you can 3D print at homeon August 5, 2022 at 8:16 am
Except, these days, the D&D community has taken that dream further: rather than leaving it at individual miniatures, they create entire worlds for us. Cast n Play is one of the groups leading that ...
- Automated 3D Printing Market 2022-Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2028on August 5, 2022 at 12:59 am
Get a sample PDF of the report at - Competitive Landscape and Automated 3D Printing Market Share Analysis: Automated 3D Printing Market size competitive landscape provides details by vendors, ...
- Multi-nozzle MF3 tech could revolutionize 3D printingon August 4, 2022 at 10:34 am
Although 3D printing technology continues to improve, it's still limited by relatively long print times and low resolution. A new technology could help, by simultaneously utilizing multiple small ...
- 3D Printing Metal Market Size is projected to reach USD 3.61 billion by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 25.3%: Straits Researchon August 3, 2022 at 9:15 am
The global 3D printing metal market was valued at USD 475 million in 2021. It is expected to reach USD 3,615 million by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 25.3% during the forecast period (2022–2030). North ...
- Researchers 3D print first high-performance nanostructured alloy that's both ultrastrong and ductileon August 3, 2022 at 8:00 am
A team of researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and the Georgia Institute of Technology has 3D printed a dual-phase, nanostructured high-entropy alloy that exceeds the strength and ...
- 10 Best 3D Printing Stocks To Buy Nowon August 2, 2022 at 3:30 pm
3D Systems Corporation (NYSE:DDD) is a Rock Hill, South Carolina-based 3D printing company. The company provides a wide range of 3D products such as printers, scanners, and medical goods.
- Machine-learning model monitors and adjusts 3D printing process to correct errors in real-timeon August 2, 2022 at 6:15 am
Scientists and engineers are constantly developing new materials with unique properties that can be used for 3D printing, but figuring out how to print with these materials can be a complex, costly ...