High-power, self-cleaning solar panels might be coming soon to a roof near you.
There are two obvious problems with photovoltaic cells, solar panels. First, they are very shiny and so a lot of the incident sunlight is simply reflected back into the sky rather than being converted into electricity. Secondly, they get dirty with dust and debris caught on the wind and residues left behind by rain and birds. Now, research published in the International Journal of Nanomanufacturing suggests that it might be possible to add a nanoscopic relief pattern to the surface of solar cells that makes them non-reflective significantly boosting efficiency and at the same time making them highly non-stick and self-cleaning.
Zuobin Wang of Changchun University of Science and Technology (China), Jin Zhang of Xi’an Technological University (China) and colleagues at Cardiff University (UK), who are partners of the EU FP7 LaserNaMi project, have devised an approach to lithography, the process used to “print” microelectronic circuits, that allows them to add a pattern to the surface of a solar cell. The features of the pattern are so small that individual parts are shorter than the wavelength of light. This means that incident sunlight becomes trapped rather than reflected passing on more of its energy to electricity-generation process that takes place within the panel.
The same pattern also makes the surface of the solar cell behave like the surface of a lotus leaf, a natural material that is known to be very water repellant, or hydrophobic, so that particles and liquids that land on it do not become stuck as there is no surface to which the droplets can grip. When it rains any deposits are sloughed away and the rainwater runs off efficiently leaving the panel clean and dry after the downpour.
The team’s work indicates that a patterned layer on top of the active part of the panel can avoid the energy losses due to reflection from the surface. It directly boosts absorption of sunlight in the visible spectrum and into the near-infrared part of the spectrum, all of which contributes to a boost to the overall electrical efficiency of the panel. The team suggests that printing the surface of the photovoltaic cell so that it is covered with nanoscopic cones would provide the optimal combination of making the panel non-reflective and hydrophobic and so self-cleaning.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Self-cleaning solar panels
The Latest Bing News on:
Self-cleaning solar panels
- The know-how of using renewable energy for battery storageon August 6, 2022 at 4:43 am
Union rural development and panchayati raj minister Giriraj Singh said at a recent conference, that India is increasing its reliance on renewable energy, intending to supply 50% of the nation’s ...
- Who benefits from renewable energy subsidies? In Texas, it’s often fossil fuel companies that are fighting clean energy elsewhereon August 5, 2022 at 6:43 am
Who benefits from renewable energy subsidies? In Texas, it’s often fossil fuel companies that are fighting clean energy elsewhere Opinion & Commentary - Renewable Energy World ...
- Opinion: In Texas, fossil fuel companies receive subsidies for renewable energy projectson August 4, 2022 at 7:02 pm
By reviewing the applications and ownership documents, we were able to track who actually builds and owns a large portion of the nation’s renewable energy, when and how those assets change hands, and ...
- Enbridge's Solar Self-Power Projects Charging Forwardon August 4, 2022 at 9:50 am
This solar self-power program is part of a broad plan to reduce our company’s carbon footprint. The current phase of solar self-power investments involves constructing 10 solar farms in the vicinity ...
- How clean energy can prevent the next Manchin-like holdouton August 4, 2022 at 3:00 am
"Worn down by Joe Manchin? Take a number. Want to do something about him and his kind? Look in the mirror," writes Tigercomm president Mike Casey.
- California needs more clean energy, but PG&E is trying its best to kill rooftop solaron August 3, 2022 at 10:49 am
On the one side are California’s three big investor-owned utilities — Pacific Gas and Electric, San Diego Gas and Electric and Southern California Edison. On the other are rooftop solar workers and ...
- Aleo Solar unveils 345 W rooftop photovoltaic moduleon August 2, 2022 at 6:05 am
The new panel from the German manufacturer may also be used as a solar tile and is claimed to be particularly suitable for historical buildings and aesthetically demanding new construction and ...
- Here's why Muddy Waters is short solar company Sunrunon August 2, 2022 at 4:10 am
Noted short seller Carson Block is betting against shares of Sunrun , saying the residential solar company is worth 90% less than its current market valuation. Block takes issue with the way Sunrun ...
- Extra Space Storage Community Solar Project, the First in New Jersey’s Year 2 Program, to Bring Clean Energy to Over 1,400 Householdson August 1, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Solar Landscape, New Jersey’s largest community solar owner and operator, announced today that it has completed construction on the first of 46 community solar projects approved by the New Jersey ...
- Solarwatt obtains ‘cradle-to-cradle’ certification for its glass-glass solar moduleson July 29, 2022 at 2:37 am
The 'cradle-to-cradle' certification is considered a globally recognized holistic product quality standard. The assessment is made for five categories: material health, recyclability of materials, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Solar powered 'Community Lighthouses' could be beacon in times of disasteron August 6, 2022 at 7:21 am
Solar powered ‘Community Lighthouses’ could be beacon in times of disaster. Global warming is producing more extreme weather. That can mean extended power outages in places like New Orleans.
- Power Your EV or Home With Clean Energy From a Solar Carporton August 5, 2022 at 5:00 am
A lot of rooftop solar has been installed in the last few years as people look to reduce their reliance on climate-change-causing fossil fuels and save money on electricity bills. Rooftop solar can ...
- Germany gets solar power boost amid energy crisison August 5, 2022 at 4:14 am
The Ukraine war has exposed Germany's overreliance on Russian gas, prompting a search for alternatives. Solar power is one and is already seeing a surge. Is the former solar powerhouse on the cusp of ...
- Best Solar-Powered Generator 2022: GRECELL Portable Power Station 1000Won August 5, 2022 at 1:23 am
Whether at home or on the road, keep all of your devices charged with the GRECELL Portable Power Station 1000W.
- Solar Panels Are Toxicon August 4, 2022 at 4:49 am
Please contact us in case of abuse. In case of abuse, Report this post. When solar panels are produced, a lot of toxins are created. Since China is one of the few places where solar panels are ...
- Solar facility now supplying renewable energy for two-thirds of university's electricity useon August 3, 2022 at 9:15 am
With the development of the Skipjack Solar Center, JHU achieves goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 51% three years early ...
- Batteries for Solar Energy Storage Market Size to hit $9.47Bn, Globally, by 2028 – Exclusive Study by The Insight Partnerson August 3, 2022 at 7:47 am
The batteries for solar energy storage market size is projected to reach US$ 9.47 billion by 2028 from US$ 3.14 billion in 2022. It is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20.2% during 2022–2028.New York, ...
- Enphase Energy Poised To Go Large As Solar Industry Approaches Global Tipping Pointon August 2, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Enphase Energy has popular proprietary technology that could become an essential part of the majority of solar panel arrays.
- West Leyden, East Leyden high schools to start the new school year off with STEM experience, solar panel installationon August 2, 2022 at 11:47 am
West Leyden and East Leyden high schools are each scheduled to have solar panels installed on their respective campuses.
- Colorado Solar Leader Lessar Energy Launches A Campaign To Provide Solar Power To Nigeriaon July 29, 2022 at 9:48 pm
Lessar Energy, a Denver-based company specializing in residential solar and home energy efficiency upgrades, is launching an ambitious campaign that gives its domestic customers the opportunity to ...