Researchers at NJIT have developed a flexible battery made with carbon nanotubes that could potentially power electronic devices with flexible displays.
Electronic manufacturers are now making flexible organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, a pioneering technology that allow devices such as cell phones, tablet computers and TVs to literally fold up.
And this new battery, given its flexibility and components, can be used to power this new generation of bendable electronics. The battery is made from carbon nanotubes and micro-particles that serve as active components — similar to those found in conventional batteries. It is designed, though, to contain the electro-active ingredients while remaining flexible.
“This battery can be made as small as a pinhead or as large as a carpet in your living room,” says Somenath Mitra, a professor of chemistry and environmental science whose research group invented the battery. “So its applications are endless. You can place a rolled-up battery in the trunk of your electric car and have it power the vehicle.”
A patent application on the battery has been filed, and the battery will be featured in an upcoming issue of “Advanced Materials.” Mitra developed the new technology at NJIT with assistance from Zhiqian Wang, a doctoral student in chemistry.
The battery has another revolutionary potential, in that it could be fabricated at home by consumers. All one would need to make the battery is a kit comprised of electrode paste and a laminating machine. One would coat two plastic sheets with the electrode paste, place a plastic separator between the sheets and then laminate the assembly. The battery assembly would function in the same way as a double-A or a triple-A battery.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- NTR acquires Irish solar and battery projectson February 24, 2021 at 12:48 am
NTR has acquired a 54MW portfolio of co-located solar and battery storage projects in Co Wexford, Ireland from renewable energy developer RES. The portfolio comprises two battery storage projects ...
- Samsung SDI Plans to Invest One Trillion KRW in Its Hungary Battery Plants This Yearon February 23, 2021 at 7:51 pm
Samsung SDI is set to invest $900 million (1 trillion KRW) in its battery plants this year. Its investment will be used to increase production capacity of its first electric vehicle (EV) battery plan ...
- Scientists Just Figured Out How to Turn Your Body Into a Batteryon February 23, 2021 at 3:36 pm
A tiny new gadget could turn your body’s electricity into a battery, meaning pacemakers, drug delivery pumps, and other implantable medical devices could run on a new kind of renewable energy: you.
- AutoGrid Deploys AutoGrid Flex for Total’s Largest Battery-Based Energy Storage Project in Franceon February 23, 2021 at 11:00 am
AutoGrid, the market leader in AI-powered flexibility management software for the energy industry, deploys award-winning AutoGrid Flex™ Virtual Power ...
- New wearable device turns the body into a batteryon February 22, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Researchers at CU Boulder have developed a new, low-cost wearable device that transforms the human body into a biological battery.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Global Printed and Flexible Electronics Market 2020 Key Aspects of the Industry by Segments to 2025on February 24, 2021 at 7:38 pm
The latest intelligence report titled Global Printed and Flexible Electronics Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 explains significant details asked by the customers ...
- Flexible thermal interface based on self-assembled boron arsenide for high-performance thermal managementon February 24, 2021 at 2:52 am
Well-developed prototype interface materials for electronics thermal management are limited to a low thermal conductivity or high elastic modulus. Here, the authors report flexible thermal interfaces ...
- Thin Film Electronics ASA - Financial Report - Fourth Quarter 2020on February 23, 2021 at 10:11 pm
Recent achievements - First product design taped out based on customer requirements - Evaluation agreements signed - Process enhancements identified to increase energy density up to 600 Wh/L - Product ...
- Contract PCB drilling service: Q&A with Key Ware Electronics CEO Chen Po-yingon February 23, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Taiwan suppliers of high-end IC substrates, HDI boards, rigid PCBs with high layer counts and flexible PCBs are expected to have another busy year in 2021 after benefiting from pandemic-induced ...
- Heilind Electronics offers new antennas for Wi-Fi 6E from TE Connectivityon February 23, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Global electronic components distributor Heilind Electronics, has expanded its wireless local area network (WLAN) product offering with the addition of TE Connectivity’s new antenna product portfolio ...