Researchers at NJIT have developed a flexible battery made with carbon nanotubes that could potentially power electronic devices with flexible displays.
Electronic manufacturers are now making flexible organic light-emitting diode (OLED) displays, a pioneering technology that allow devices such as cell phones, tablet computers and TVs to literally fold up.
And this new battery, given its flexibility and components, can be used to power this new generation of bendable electronics. The battery is made from carbon nanotubes and micro-particles that serve as active components — similar to those found in conventional batteries. It is designed, though, to contain the electro-active ingredients while remaining flexible.
“This battery can be made as small as a pinhead or as large as a carpet in your living room,” says Somenath Mitra, a professor of chemistry and environmental science whose research group invented the battery. “So its applications are endless. You can place a rolled-up battery in the trunk of your electric car and have it power the vehicle.”
A patent application on the battery has been filed, and the battery will be featured in an upcoming issue of “Advanced Materials.” Mitra developed the new technology at NJIT with assistance from Zhiqian Wang, a doctoral student in chemistry.
The battery has another revolutionary potential, in that it could be fabricated at home by consumers. All one would need to make the battery is a kit comprised of electrode paste and a laminating machine. One would coat two plastic sheets with the electrode paste, place a plastic separator between the sheets and then laminate the assembly. The battery assembly would function in the same way as a double-A or a triple-A battery.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Battery storage systems 30% cheaper than rival gas peaker plants for firming renewableson April 12, 2021 at 12:45 am
Improvements in battery-operating technology mean storage now outperforms ... “remains reliant on appropriate market reforms and forward-looking policy that incentivise new, flexible technologies that ...
- GoodWe steps up its battery game with new additions to its Lynx Home Serieson April 8, 2021 at 8:32 pm
Following the successful launch of SECU-A and SECU-S batteries early this year, GoodWe has announced new additions to its Lynx Home battery series.
- Power Tool Battery Market Eyeing Phenomenal Growth at a healthy CAGR of 8.52% | Market Research Future (MRFR)on April 7, 2021 at 4:29 am
Key companies profiled in the power tool batteries market research report are Battery Xpress, BYD Co.Ltd., A-one Moli Energy Corp., Hitachi Ltd., Ryobi Ltd., Samsung SDI, Techtronic Industries Co.Ltd.
- Romeo Power and PACCAR Enter Long-Term Supply Agreement for Peterbilt 579 and 520 Battery-Electric Vehicleson April 6, 2021 at 8:00 am
Romeo Power, Inc. (“Romeo Power”) (NYSE: RMO), an energy technology leader delivering large-scale electrification solutions for complex commercial app ...
- ALERT: Amazon Is Selling Beats Flex Earbuds for Only $40 Today!on April 2, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Having jumped at the opportunity to test a pair back in September, I can attest to Beats Flex being a game-changer in design functionality and overall quality. Boasting 12 hours of battery life, ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Int'l electronics expo in Guangzhou aims to support "dual circulation"on April 12, 2021 at 12:34 am
An international expo for electronics and electrical appliances on Monday opened in south China's Guangzhou City with a theme of embracing domestic demand and exploring the global market. More than 1, ...
- Eternal sees mounting sales of PIC material for flexible PCBon April 11, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Taiwan-based Eternal Materials continue to enjoy stable growth momentum for PCB-use dry film photoresist and is optimistic that its sales of both PIC (photoimageable coverlay) for flexible PCB ... its ...
- Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit (Single Sided Flex Circuit, Multilayer Flex Circuit) Market Report 2021-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 8, 2021 at 5:44 am
The "Global Flexible Electronics & Circuit Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis by Structure Type (Single Sided Flex Circuit, Multilayer Flex Circuit), Application (Displays, Printed Sensors), ...
- Flexible Electronics Market Is Thriving Worldwide with Blue Spark Technologies; BrightVolt (US); Heliatek, Cymbet, Palo Alto Research Centeron April 8, 2021 at 3:50 am
The latest research on “Global Flexible Electronics Market Report 2021” offered by Data Bridge Market Research provides a comprehensive investigation into the geographical landscape, industry size ...
- New Material Breakthrough Could Be the Key to Revolutionary, Transparent Electronicson April 5, 2021 at 8:00 am
Filling a Crucial Gap in the Materials Spectrum A new study, out this week, could pave the way to next-generation, transparent electronics. Such see-through devices could potentially be integrated in ...