The overall design resembles a quadcopter
E-volo recently celebrated the maiden launch of its electric two-passenger, 18-rotor VC200 “Volocopter,” touting the vehicle’s safety and simplicity after an indoor flight inside the dm-arena in Karlsruhe, Germany on November 17. While the copter is similar in form to both quadcopters and helicopters, the company resists the helicopter label, pointing out the numerous radically different safety and design choices that set the vehicle apart.
Following on from earlier prototypes, the overall design resembles a quadcopter – or, more aptly with its 18 separate rotors, an octodecacopter. On the Volocopter, six arms extending from the central part of the rotor ring split into twelve more arms, with rotors placed at each juncture.
For power, six battery blocks power the rotor drives for about twenty minutes of emission-free flight time, with an hour anticipated in the future. Additionally, range extenders are envisioned for the final design. The team is aiming for a cruising speed of at least 54 knots (62 mph / 100 km/h) and a flight altitude of 6,500 ft for the production version.
E-volo emphasizes the redundancies in the battery system. Each rotor arm is powered by three batteries, so two nonadjacent batteries could fail and the Volocopter could still land safely. In even more dire straits, a ballistic separation system deploys a parachute.
These measures are a part of e-volo’s larger goal that the “Volocopter must become the world’s safest piece of air sport equipment.” Pointing out that most helicopter emergencies stem from pilot behavior, e-volo designed the Volocopter with onboard computers sensors that assume the role of determining and compensating for flight conditions, while the pilot “merely” controls the direction. Because of this design decision, the Volocopter is also easy to fly and pilot training is simpler.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Volocopter Aims For Concurrent EASA/FAA eVTOL Certificationon January 22, 2021 at 2:51 am
Aims For Concurrent EASA/FAA eVTOL Certification is published in Aerospace Daily & Defense Report, an Aviation Week Intelligence Network (AWIN) M ...
- Volocopter Campaigns to Debut Electric Air Taxi Serviceson January 20, 2021 at 4:16 am
Volocopter is seeking FAA approval to enter the U.S. market concurrently with its EASA type certificate. The VoloCity, Volocopter’s electric air taxi, is designed to meet aircraft safety standards.
- Volocopter Aims To Bring VoloCity eVTOL To U.S.on January 15, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Volocopter announced on Friday that the FAA has accepted its application for concurrent type certificate validation for its VoloCity eVTOL.
- Volocopter working toward FAA approval of VoloCity eVTOLon January 15, 2021 at 10:20 am
German urban air mobility company Volocopter has received Federal Aviation Administration permission to pursue certification of its autonomous, electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL ...
- Volocopter Seeks Approval for Electric Air Taxis in U.S. Citieson January 15, 2021 at 7:04 am
German electric air-taxi startup Volocopter GmbH is seeking regulatory approval to operate its vertical takeoff craft in the U.S. The Federal Aviation Administration is considering a type ...
- Volocopter Launches Campaign to Bring Electric Air Taxi Services to U.S. Citieson January 15, 2021 at 5:21 am
Tax Planning Personal Finance Save for College Save for Retirement Invest in Retirement Research Mutual Funds Stocks ETFs Bonds Best Investments ...
- Volocopter Launches Campaign to Bring Electric Air Taxi Services to U.S. Citieson January 15, 2021 at 5:00 am
Volocopter, the German air taxi start-up and “Pioneer of Urban Air Mobility (UAM),” announced today that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has ...
- Volocopter Moves To Enter U.S. eVTOL Air Taxi Marketon January 15, 2021 at 3:39 am
Volocopter this week went public with its plans to introduce air taxi operations with its eVTOL aircraft into the U.S. market. In a January 15 announcement, the German startup said that the FAA ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The RC bird that’s even more fun to fly than a drone is 10% off at Amazon, today onlyon January 27, 2021 at 9:39 am
Standard quadcopter drones are plenty of fun and there are so many great low-cost options out there for children and adults of all ages. Anyone out there who is bored of drones and looking for ...
- US Army nearing end of FTUAS assessment periodon January 27, 2021 at 9:01 am
The US Army, nearing the end of its Future Tactical Unmanned Aerial System (FTUAS) assessment period, will soon conduct a capstone rodeo flight demonstration ...
- Holy Stone’s #1 best-selling 1080p drone hits its lowest price in months at $52.50on January 26, 2021 at 1:16 pm
Holy Stone (99% positive all-time) via Amazon offers its HS110D FPV Quadcopter at $52.49 shipped with the code M7GMTWXP and when you clip the on-page coupon. For comparison, it goes for $75 normally ...
- Pak Army shoots down another Indian spy quadcopter along LoCon January 26, 2021 at 1:14 am
Pakistan Army troops have shot down an Indian spying quadcopter in Chakothi Sector along the Line of Control. According to Inter Services Public Relations, the quadcopter intruded 500 meters on ...
- Flies Like A Quadcopter, But This Drone Design Has Only One Propelleron January 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The ball drone seems well suited to an indoor environment, but we’re not sure if it has any real advantages over a quadcopter with ducted propellers. Servos are cheaper than motors and ESCs ...
- Reverse Engineering Quadcopter Protocolson January 24, 2021 at 4:00 pm
[Michael] found a very, very cheap toy quadcopter in his local shop, and issued a challenge to himself. He would reverse engineer this quadcopter’s radio protocol. His four-post series of ...
- Toppled tractor-trailer slows traffic on turnpike rampon January 22, 2021 at 11:40 am
There were no reports of injuries, but the view from QuadCopter 69 showed that crews tasked with up-righting the 18-wheeler had their work cut out for them.
- Drones in the Air: Quadcopter Emergency Backup Controlon January 22, 2021 at 7:03 am
Just as the behemoths of technology are racing to take drone delivery to the sky, demand for improving design, technology and mechanical components is reaching new heights. Quadcopters, or drones with ...
- Quadcopter ready for the big leagueon January 20, 2021 at 2:00 pm
He's come a long way. From a lowly 53-point rater in June 2019, Quadcopter has risen through the ranks and now sits on 79 points - and rising. Granted, he's no "spring chicken". He raced 20 times. But ...
- This foldable 4K camera drone is only $60 thanks to a double discount at Amazonon January 19, 2021 at 10:34 am
Camera drones are terrific gadgets that are fun and functional, but they can also be quite expensive. Many people don’t realize that there are also options out there that are remarkably ...