EPFL’s new convention center is being equipped with an impressive glass façade composed of dye solar cells.
The first architectural integration of this technology is a new step in Romande Energie and EPFL’s partnership to develop a large-scale solar park and conduct research and development projects.
Transparent, colored solar panels, fruits of the Graetzel cell technology, are currently being installed on the west façade of EPFL’s future SwissTech Convention Center, scheduled to open its doors in April 2014. These 1,400 solar modules, each one 35 by 50 cm in size, will combine for a total surface area of 300 m2. The design, by artists Daniel Schlaepfer and Catherine Bolle, calls for 5 different shades of red, green and orange, giving the ensemble a warm, dynamic aspect.
This exterior solar window façade is a world first. The project leverages the potential of dye-sensitive solar cells known as Graetzel cells. In addition to being translucent, they’re indifferent to the angle of incidence of light that hits them; they can be deployed vertically without any loss in efficiency. They not only produce renewable energy, but they also shade the building from direct sunlight, reducing the need for air conditioning. This innovative solar installation is funded by Romande Energie, and will be operational in December 2013.
A first for exterior architectural integration
Dye-sensitized solar cells, invented in 1991 by EPFL professor Michael Graetzel, reproduce the principles of photosynthesis in plants. The photovoltaic glass panel covering the west façade of the SwissTech Convention Center is the world’s first exterior architectural integration of this cutting-edge technology. This visually compelling 300 m2 installation will be a demonstration of the potential of this kind of solar technology and the first step in their large-scale production and use.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- McDonald’s, eBay sign up to purchase solar from 345 MW US projecton August 23, 2021 at 10:49 pm
The two companies have signed on to purchase shares of the energy generated by Lightsource bp’s upcoming 345 MW Ventress Solar project.
- Solved: Mysterious Solar Paradox That Puzzled Physicists for 25 Yearson August 23, 2021 at 4:45 pm
In 1998, the journal Nature published a seminal letter concluding that the mysterious polarization signal that had been recently discovered in the light emitted by the sodium atoms of the solar atmosp ...
- Lorde embraces growth, simplicity in third studio album ‘Solar Power’on August 23, 2021 at 9:52 am
Far from the darker, dramatic themes of her debut release "Pure Heroine" and sophomore sensation "Melodrama," Lorde's third studio album "Solar Power" aims for a more intimate, acoustic listening ...
- Review: the Garmin fenix 6 Pro Solar is a go anywhere, do anything watchon August 23, 2021 at 6:32 am
The Garmin fenix 6 Pro Solar falls into its own category of smartwatches and while it’s certainly useful for sports and fitness, it’s best described as an adventure watch. It’s designed for the gym ...
- 'I am very much an imperfect person': Lorde chills out, checks in with album 'Solar Power'on August 20, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Lorde is back with "Solar Power," her first album in four years. The "Royals" breakthrough reflects on fame, growing up and meeting Quentin Tarantino.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- GLOBAL SMART CLEANING AND HYGIENE MARKET FORECAST 2021-2028on August 24, 2021 at 12:18 am
KEY FINDINGS The global smart cleaning and hygiene market is anticipated to project a CAGR of 15. 11% over the estimated years of 2021 to 2028. The market growth is strengthened by key factors such as ...
- Lifetime Windows // Smart Home Improvementon August 23, 2021 at 4:57 pm
Lifetime Windows is offering $0 Down, 0% Interest, 0 Payments for 24 Months at 25% OFF! Call 800.GET.WINDOWS or visit LifetimeWindowsColorado.com ...
- Ecobee vs Nest: which smart thermostat is right for your home?on August 22, 2021 at 12:00 am
From cost to features and quality, we’ll help you decide whether it’s ecobee or Nest that’s best to keep your home or office space at the right temperature.
- We asked, you told us: Here's how many smart home devices you ownon August 19, 2021 at 5:56 am
Android Authority readers voted in a poll to reveal just how many smart home devices they own. Here are the results of that survey.
- Smart Windows Materials Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2021-2026on August 19, 2021 at 4:52 am
According to the title of the report, “Global Smart Windows Materials Market Research Report,” readers will gain a thorough understanding of the growth and operation of the Sm ...