The waiting list for donor hearts could be slashed by pioneering research from Australian doctors that could increase the supply of the organs by up to 50 per cent.
A team from the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute and St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney has found a way to protect hearts that have already stopped beating, in what is known as circulatory or cardiac death, and bring them back to life outside the human body.
Peter Macdonald, the co-head of the Transplantation Research Laboratory at Victor Chang, said up until now doctors had not been able to use the hearts from people who donated their organs after brain injury caused by things such as car accidents because of the complex process involved in turning off life support and ensuring death has occurred.
”Once you withdraw life support there is no oxygen going into the body and all the organs are suffering,” Professor Macdonald said.
”When we warm the blood to body temperature the heart will spontaneously start beating again,” he said.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- ‘She has a brand-new start.’ Three-year-old QC girl undergoes successful heart transplanton November 30, 2021 at 3:47 pm
A 3-year-old girl in Moline just underwent a successful heart transplant, and she is recovering. Delilah Edwards was diagnosed with a rare condition in which some of her organs are formed ...
- Enduring Hearts Donates Funds to Pediatric Heart Transplant Researchon November 29, 2021 at 6:43 pm
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- is proud to announce its new board member, Greg McClaire, to the team to head the expansion of its diversified heart families and build-out of its sports programs. McClaire has a ...
- UChicago doctors set Illinois record with 55 heart transplants this year, including two on Thanksgivingon November 26, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Doctors at the South Side hospital spent the holiday performing back-to-back transplants that set a new record in Illinois.
- Army veteran, Clearwater father gets heart transplant before Thanksgivingon November 26, 2021 at 2:19 pm
The wait is finally over for an Army veteran and father from Clearwater who desperately needed a heart transplant.
- UChicago Medicine performs record-breaking heart transplants on Thanksgivingon November 25, 2021 at 6:22 pm
This Thanksgiving, doctors at the University of Chicago Medicine performed record-breaking work. Some patients and their families are incredibly thankful this Thanksgiving after the transplant team ...
- University of Chicago Medicine Sets Yearly Record With 2 Heart Transplants on Thanksgivingon November 25, 2021 at 6:09 pm
The University of Chicago Medical Center performed two heart transplants on Thanksgiving, reaching a new record for the most transplants performed in a year.
- University Of Chicago Medicine Performs 2 Heart Transplants This Thanksgiving, Sets Record For Yearon November 25, 2021 at 4:37 pm
The University of Chicago Medicine performed two heart transplants this Thanksgiving Day – bringing the total for the year to a record 55.
- Giving thanks: Heart transplant gives former Badgers QB Bohlig a fresh starton November 25, 2021 at 1:00 am
Gregg Bohlig first noticed something was amiss about five years ago as he walked up the first fairway at Princeton Valley Golf Course.
- After life-saving heart transplant, Victoria woman meets her donor's parentson November 24, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Fourteen months after La Sher Bartay went into cardiac arrest following a double mastectomy operation, a physician arrived at her bedside in Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center in Houston with ...
- One year after heart transplant, rap icon Kurtis Blow returns to stage with 'Hip Hop Nutcracker'on November 24, 2021 at 11:56 am
Blow is the MC and host of the new take on the classic holiday ballet. It arrives Dec. 5 at the Detroit Opera House.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Last Chance: The Best Cyber Monday Mattress Deals Are Still Going Strong (But They End Today)on November 30, 2021 at 2:58 pm
These Cyber Monday mattress deals from top sleep brands like Casper, Nectar, Purple, Puffy and Helix are still live. Get them while they last.
- Miami Valley Hospital nurse named among top nurses in the countryon November 30, 2021 at 4:47 am
A Miami Valley Hospital nurse has been named among the top nurses in the nation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) N ...
- Psychology Todayon November 29, 2021 at 10:22 pm
Hans Rocha IJzerman's book "Heartwarming" makes the case that humans are a lot like penguins. The characteristic that humans share with those cute little aquatic birds is social thermoregulation.
- How 37.5 Technology Enhances Athletic Performanceon November 17, 2021 at 11:00 am
In a study, athletes wearing shirts with 37.5 Technology performed at higher sustained output 26 percent longer than those without.
- Neonatal Thermoregulation Market 2021 Outlook to 2026: Top Companies in Market, Trends & Growth Factors and Details for Business Developmenton November 16, 2021 at 11:26 pm
Nov (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" Neonatal Thermoregulation Market ...
- Neonatal Thermoregulation Devices Market Report 2022 | Industry Competitors, Key Strategies Adopted and Their Recent Developments 2027on November 15, 2021 at 11:08 pm
Nov 16, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry" “Neonatal Thermoregulation Devices ...
- Eric R Piankaon November 13, 2021 at 3:52 am
His interests include population and community ecology, evolutionary ecology, natural history of desert lizards, resource partitioning, reproductive tactics, foraging theory, allocation, design ...
- Growers could save thousands each year with Albotherm's heat sensitive coatingon November 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A heat sensitive coating for greenhouse glass that would maintain optimum temperatures all year around and remove the annual cost of applying and removing shading is being developed by University of ...
- The Best Radiator Flushes: Keep Your Radiator Running Cleanon August 1, 2021 at 11:14 pm
The radiator is the part of your car responsible for thermoregulation. When the radiator works properly, it'll keep the engine cool while you drive so it won't overheat, and you'll get a smooth ride.
- Thermography in Walruses: Preliminary Considerations on Thermoregulationon August 15, 2020 at 6:34 am
In this study, thermal patterns from the skin of walruses have been analyzed in order to understand the physiological processes leading to thermoregulation. Thermal images were taken from four female ...