Simulations Help North and South Dakota Researchers Decide Which Technology Would Make a Better Solar Collector, Quantum Dot or Nanowire
A trio of researchers at North Dakota State University, Fargo and the University of South Dakota have turned to computer modeling to help decide which of two competing materials should get its day in the sun as the nanoscale energy-harvesting technology of future solar panels — quantum dots or nanowires.
Andrei Kryjevski and his colleagues, Dimitri Kilin and Svetlana Kilina, report in AIP Publishing’s Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy that they used computational chemistry models to predict the electronic and optical properties of three types of nanoscale (billionth of a meter) silicon structures with a potential application for solar energy collection: a quantum dot, one-dimensional chains of quantum dots and a nanowire. The ability to absorb light is substantially enhanced in nanomaterials compared to those used in conventional semiconductors. Determining which form — quantum dots or nanowire — maximizes this advantage was the goal of the numerical experiment conducted by the three researchers.
“We used Density Functional Theory, a computational approach that allows us to predict electronic and optical properties that reflect how well the nanoparticles can absorb light, and how that effectiveness is affected by the interaction between quantum dots and the disorder in their structures,” Kryjevski said. “This way, we can predict how quantum dots, quantum dot chains and nanowires will behave in real life even before they are synthesized and their working properties experimentally checked.”
The simulations made by Kryjevski, Kilin and Kilina indicated that light absorption by silicon quantum dot chains significantly increases with increased interactions between the individual nanospheres in the chain. They also found that light absorption by quantum dot chains and nanowires depends strongly on how the structure is aligned in relation to the direction of the photons striking it. Finally, the researchers learned that the atomic structure disorder in the amorphous nanoparticles results in better light absorption at lower energies compared to crystalline-based nanomaterials.
“Based on our findings, we believe that putting the amorphous quantum dots in an array or merging them into a nanowire are the best assemblies for maximizing the efficiency of silicon nanomaterials to absorb light and transport charge throughout a photovoltaic system,” Kryjevski said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Solar farm row pits 'builders against blockers'on February 25, 2024 at 1:11 am
Should we give up parts of the countryside for the sake of the climate and lowering our energy bills?That was the key question at the heart of a planning inquiry into a large solar farm in ...
- India urges rooftop solar growthon February 24, 2024 at 11:47 pm
Workers of Solar Square put up a panel on the rooftop of a residence in Gurugram on the outskirts of New Delhi, India, Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024. India is renewing its push to add rooftop solar to meet ...
- Bright idea: Orange County offers partly used solar panels free. Here’s how to get yours.on February 24, 2024 at 4:00 am
A pivotal piece of Orange County history could put a free shine on someone’s future. That’s the deal of the “Great Solar Giveaway 2024” event. Some 5,808 partly used solar panels belonging to the ...
- 5 Top Rated Solar Panels For RVs And Camping Trailerson February 23, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Being able to create power while camping is a luxury, but with technological advancements, it's completely attainable. Whether you're finding the best off-grid camping spot for the weekend or living ...
- Top 8 Cheapest Solar Panels 2024: Affordable & Good Quality Solar Companieson February 23, 2024 at 1:00 pm
DaranEner’s cheapest solar panels have received favorable feedback from customers. The panels offer affordability, with the NEO300 being highly regarded for its portability and convenience. On the ...
- Could Solar Power Become America’s Leading Electricity Source?on February 23, 2024 at 1:00 pm
The solar energy sector is experiencing unprecedented growth, with significant advancements in manufacturing and technology driving down costs and setting the stage for solar to become the dominant ...
- Tesla Cybertruck included in $12.75M price of cutting-edge, solar-powered home near Tahoeon February 23, 2024 at 11:28 am
The 7,142-square-foot, five-bedroom, six-bathroom home at 3532 Knob Point Trail Unit 108, in Carson City, Nev., is part of the new Clear Creek Tahoe golf and resort community. The developers are ...
- SJVN Ltd begins commercial operation of its 50 MW Gujrai Solar Power Station in UPon February 23, 2024 at 7:54 am
The 50 MW Gujrai Solar Power Station has been executed by SJVN through its renewable arm, SJVN Green Energy Limited (SGEL) at a cost of Rs. 281 crores.
- How do solar panels work? Your renewable energy system explainedon February 23, 2024 at 5:48 am
Solar panels work by converting sunlight into an electric charge that produces electricity for your home. You either use the electricity or store it for later.
- How Much Do Solar Panels Cost In 2024?on February 22, 2024 at 3:41 pm
As you’re budgeting for a solar panel system, you may come across three types of solar panels. Each one can come with its own price tag, so consider the following price differences before you ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Solar Power” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- NASA wants you to record crickets during April's solar eclipseon February 23, 2024 at 10:00 am
On April 8, the agency is calling for citizen scientist volunteers along the upcoming total solar eclipse’s path to help in its ongoing Eclipse Soundscapes Project. Through a combination of visual, ...
- Semi-Transparent Cells Could Turn Windows Into Solar Energy Collectorson February 23, 2024 at 8:32 am
As such, engineers and designers are keen to find inventive new ways to include solar cells that seamlessly blend into their surrounding environment. The idea goes that these semi-transparent ...
- A Power Trip For Rooftop Solar, Home EV Chargingon February 23, 2024 at 6:00 am
(MENAFN- Live Mint) "New Delhi: Quicker installation of rooftop solar projects, dedicated power connections to charge electric vehicles at home, and speedier grant of electric connections to ...
- New solar technology produces clean energy and heaton February 23, 2024 at 5:18 am
Harness the power of the sun with ECOSun, a new breakthrough in solar technology that produces both electricity and heat.
- Research team develops parabolic trough solar module for hybrid electricity and heat generationon February 22, 2024 at 12:09 pm
Solar rays focused on concentrator photovoltaic cells using parabolic mirrors not only supply electricity, but also thermal energy for industrial processes, heating or cooling. Three technological ...
- Rooftop bar solar eclipse party set in Clevelandon February 22, 2024 at 11:08 am
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Punch Bowl Social is holding a rooftop bar solar eclipse watch party on Monday, April 8. The 90-minute party is set to begin at 3 p.m. The solar eclipse is slated to take place ...
- Horus Heresy: Solar Auxilia Artillery Rolls Inon February 22, 2024 at 7:00 am
The Solar Auxilia are getting 31st Millennium versions of the Basilisk and Medusa to deliver the boom to the battlefield!
- Looking into Leasing Solar Panels? Think Twiceon February 20, 2024 at 2:30 am
Leasing solar panels hasn’t turned into the great deal that many expected as solar companies go out of business and tax breaks and incentives get slashed.
- Here's how you can participate in the 2024 total solar eclipseon February 16, 2024 at 5:00 am
Ahead of the 2024 total solar eclipse, NASA has outlined ways people can contribute to scientific research related to the event.
- How NASA plans to study the sounds of the total solar eclipseon February 14, 2024 at 3:18 pm
NASA is asking eclipse watchers to take part in the Eclipse Soundscapes Project to understand how eclipses affect wildlife by measuring the changes in sounds they make during totality.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”solar collector” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]