Meet Atlas, a humanoid robot capable of crossing rough terrain and maintaining its balance on one leg even when hit from the side.
And WildCat, the four-legged robot that can gallop untethered at up to 16mph (26km/h).
The robots are part of Darpa’s Maximum Mobility and Manipulation programme.
Darpa says such robots “hold great promise for amplifying human effectiveness in defence operations”.
Referring to Atlas’s ability to remain balanced despite being hit by a lateral weight, Noel Sharkey, professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, told the BBC: “This is an astonishing achievement… quite a remarkable feat.”
This version of Atlas is one of seven humanoid robots Boston Dynamics is developing in response to the Darpa Robotics Challenge.
In December, competing robots will be set eight tasks to test their potential for use in emergency-response situations, including crossing uneven ground, using power tools and driving a rescue vehicle.
Darpa wants to improve the manoeuvrability and controllability of such robots while reducing manufacturing costs.
WildCat can bound, gallop and turn, mimicking the movements of quadruped animals. It is powered by an internal combustion engine.
“It is a shame that such technology is not being developed with other research funding,” said Prof Sharkey, who is also chair of the International Committee for Robot Arms Control.
“We do not know what military purpose it will serve but certainly it is a step towards a high-speed ground robot that could be weaponised to hunt and kill.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Spain vs Morocco round-of-16 predictions: World Cup 2022on December 6, 2022 at 12:57 am
Spain take on Morocco in the round-of-16 match at the World Cup 2022 on Tuesday. Kashef, our artificial intelligence (AI) robot, has analysed more than 200 metrics, including the number of wins, goals ...
- Quick soft-bodied robots move at the speed of a hair clipon December 5, 2022 at 1:52 pm
In order for a soft-bodied robot to be practical, it has to be simple, light and energy-efficient, yet still reasonably quick. A newly developed mechanism fits the bill, and it's inspired by the ...
- Best robot vacuum deals under $100on December 2, 2022 at 10:50 am
Promotions are subject to availability and retailer terms. Robot vacuums used to be an expensive luxury. But no more -- you can now find well-reviewed robot vacuums with decent features for less ...
- Need a helping hand? This eufy robot vacuum has dropped to $188.on December 1, 2022 at 11:51 am
That's a savings of 62%. There are multiple reasons why robot vacuums are so popular. They help us save time, take tasks off our hands, and are a wholesome device to brag about. Think of them as a ...
- Are We Ready for the Robot Revolution?on November 29, 2022 at 10:54 pm
I’m not sure what she’s been watching, but she says she wants a humanoid robot that can help her around the house and accompany her when she goes shopping. When I foolishly enquired further, Gina ...
- Robots Don't Kill People (at Least Not Yet); People Use Robots to Kill Peopleon November 28, 2022 at 7:04 am
San Francisco is considering authorizing its police department to sometimes use remote-controlled robots to kill: The robot might deliver a bombs or a grenade, or perhaps might even include a ...
- Boston Dynamics, known for its wacky robot videos, is now focused on making moneyon November 28, 2022 at 5:48 am
Boston Dynamics is probably the most famous robot maker in the world. Its YouTube videos of running, jumping, and dancing bots have been viewed hundreds of millions of times. Beermaker Sam Adams went ...
- This Sleek Shark Robot Vacuum Is 'Better Than a Roomba,' According to Shoppers — and It's 35% Offon November 26, 2022 at 11:59 pm
Not a fan of vacuuming but want to keep your house clean? Then why not get a robot vacuum cleaner? Rather than you having to do the work, they'll handle it for you, taking the chore off your plate.
- These robots can build almost anything—including clones of themselveson November 24, 2022 at 11:07 am
The breakthrough robot swarms function as both the builders and final products. By Andrew Paul | Published Nov 23, 2022 11:30 AM It’s robots all the way down: Researchers at MIT’s Center for ...
- 25 Real-Life Robots That Already Existon November 23, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Atlas, a humanoid robot built by Boston Dynamics, is the most advanced robot that exists today, according to Murphy. Its state-of-the-art hardware (including 28 joints!) allows it to run ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Atlas robot” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Scared of Shots? A Wearable Robot Can Improve Your Experienceon December 6, 2022 at 11:41 am
Researchers from the University of Tsukuba discovered that wearing a soft robot can enhance the patient experience during medical treatments. While most of us cannot live without our cell phones, robots may soon become indispensable companions.
- Africa’s 1st humanoid robot [Inspire Africa]on December 6, 2022 at 11:10 am
In DRC an engineer has created a cordless iron practical for power cuts. In Zimbabwe, a doctor has set up benches for people to come and confide their problems. A Sierra Leonean has created the 1st humanoid robot in Africa.
- FG unveils Africa’s first humanoid roboton December 5, 2022 at 6:20 am
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Friday unveiled Africa’s first Humanoid Robot in Abuja. The robot named Omeife has near-human resemblance, language
- Humanoid Robot Market Projected to Grow with CAGR of Approximately 23.4 Percent During the 2022-2028 Forecast Timeframe [32 Pages Report]on November 29, 2022 at 7:10 am
Pune, Nov. 29, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Humanoid Robot Market Is Projected To Reach Usd 11,581 Million, Recording A CAGR Of Approximately 23.4 Percent From 2022 To 2028. "Humanoid Robot Market ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”humanoid robots” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]