ICFO scientists have shown that a nano-size diamond at room temperature can act as an efficient optical switch controllable with light
A recent study led by researchers of the ICFO (Institute of Photonic Sciences) demonstrates that a single nano-diamond can be operated as an ultrafast single-emitter optical switch operating at room temperature. The scientific results of this study have been published in Nature Physics.
Electronic transistors have become a key component to modern electronics, drastically improving the speed of information processing of current technologies. An electronic transistor is a semiconductor device used to amplify and switch electronic signals. The much sought after optical transistor (the photonic counterpart of the electronic transistor) is poised to become a central ingredient in the development of optical signal processing. The motivation for using photons rather than electrons not only comes from their faster dynamics but also from their weaker interaction with the environment, which enable a high degree of integration and the realization of quantum operations.
Prior studies have demonstrated that single dye molecules can be operated as optical transistors with the disadvantage that they worked exclusively at extremely low temperatures. Such restrictions on the temperature made these optical transistors cumbersome for application to quantum computing.
However in this recent ICFO study, scientists have shown that a nano-size diamond at room temperature can act as an efficient optical switch controllable with light. A Nano-diamond containing a nitrogen impurity behaves like an artificial atom although much more stable at room temperature than a real atom due to its encapsulation. The ICFO scientists discovered a novel physical mechanism that enables the control of the way the nano-diamond interacts with light. While excited to its ON state by a green laser, a suitable near infrared illumination was found to act as an efficient and fast way to switch it OFF. Based on this simple concept, they were able to modulate the optical nano-diamond ON and OFF at extremely high speeds, demonstrating its robustness and viability for very fast information processing and quantum computer operations.
Quidant remarks that “what is really attractive about our discovery is that our nano-switch combines very small dimensions (compatible with integrating a large number of them in a small area) with very fast response time (meaning lots of operations in a short time) and operation at room temperature”.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Gamestop – Razer’s ultra-compact Huntsman Mini keyboard with optical switches is on sale for $78on August 23, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Find the latest GameStop Corporation (GME) stock quote, history, news and other vital information to help you with your stock trading ...
- MIT’s New Tunable “Metasurface” is Akin to Optical Swiss Army Knifeon August 23, 2021 at 5:02 am
Enormous potential range of applications. MIT engineers and colleagues report important new advances on a tunable metasurface, or flat optical device patterned with nanoscale structures, that they ...
- Epomaker AK84S review: a great wireless keyboard, plus some quirkson August 20, 2021 at 12:14 am
As of this writing, however, the cheapest configuration on Epomaker’s website appears to be the version with optical switches, ABS keycaps, and an aluminum frame paired with a plastic case ...
- Optical Transceiver Market Revenue Set to Grow at a CAGR of 15.2% During 2021-2026on August 19, 2021 at 10:02 am
According to a research report "Optical Transceiver Market with COVID-19 Impact Analysis, by Form Factor (SFF and SFP; SFP+ and SFP28; XFP; CXP), Data Rate, Wavelength, Fiber Type, Connector, Distance ...
- 1Fiber and 16 copper optical fiber switchon August 18, 2021 at 12:53 pm
· LED status of Link, activity, Full/half duplex, speed,and power on diagnostic function 10Base-T： 3, 4 or Cat 5 shielded / unshielded twisted pair，100 meters max.；100Base-TX：Cat 5 shielded / ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Don’t Throw Away Your Old iPod nano – It Could Charge Your Apple Pencilon August 23, 2021 at 10:23 am
As we touched on last week, Apple’s seventh-generation iPod nano may be one of the most unusual devices that the company ever made. It was the last ...
- Zotac introduces ZBOX C fanless Tiger lake PCson August 22, 2021 at 7:00 am
The latest fanless desktop computers from Zotac are powered by 28-watt Intel Tiger Lake U-series processors, with support for up to an Intel Core i7-1165G7 chip. Measuring about 8″ x 5.1″ x 2.7″, the ...
- Steve Jobs apparently wanted an iPhone nano in 2011—and we have questionson August 19, 2021 at 8:30 am
According to notes emailed by Steve Jobs in late 2010, an iPhone nano was among the projects Apple was working on.
- Best cheap phone under $100 in 2021: Top budget pickson August 19, 2021 at 8:21 am
Not everybody wants or needs the best phone money can buy. Perhaps you've browsed our budget phones under $300 and wonder whether even better bargains abound. Or maybe you want something super ...
- BRIEF-Nano-X Imaging Says Received Request For Extra Information From FDA Concerning Co’s Last 510(K) Submission Of Nanox.ARCon August 19, 2021 at 7:31 am
BRIEF-Nano-X Imaging Says Received Request For Extra Information From FDA Concerning Co’s Last 510 (K) Submission Of Nanox.ARC Aug 19 (Reuters) - Nano-X Imaging Ltd: * NANO-X IMAGING - ON AUG 12, ...