The mining process, from the first exploration to the establishment of a mine, is both time demanding and expensive.
Cecilia Lund, PhD at Luleå University of Technology has in her thesis “Mineralogical, chemical and textural characterisation of the Malmberget (Sweden) iron ore deposit for a geometallurgical model” developed a model that would shorten the process considerably.
The demand for commodities has never been greater and the mineral resources are very limited. Today, the ore deposits that are large, rich and easy to mine are already exploited. The next generations mine that will provide the industry with metals must rely on ore deposits that are both lower in grade and size. Lower mineral grades may also mean that the deposit is more geological complex.
– The mining process, from the very first exploration to the establishment of a mine does have a time horizon of several years which also means high investment costs. The establishment of a mine also contribute to a significant impact on both the environment and the surrounding society, says Cecilia Lund.
It is therefore an urgent need to develop and create realistic models for simulating different mining and mineral processing scenarios as early as during the exploration stage. This means that new types of mineralogical tools and analytical methods must be developed to generate the necessary amount of geological information.
-The requirements for ore characterisation methods like this, is that the methods need to be inexpensive, fast in terms of producing large number samples and above all, to be a practical tool for implementation in the process. This information should be available already during the logging of exploration drill core, says Cecilia Lund.
Cecilia Lund’s research describes how traditional science can be joined together and applied in the industry. This is the first doctoral thesis in the subject of geometallurgy which is a rather broad concept.
-The main difference when I have developed a method like this is that I take the geological compositions in account and includes geological parameters such as mineral textures which are not used earlier. To solely use mineral grades are quite well known, says Cecilia Lund.
The result can then be used to make useful metallurgical predictions in production planning and management.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
New model for mining
- Asia Pacific Accounts For Almost 60% Of The Total Stone Mining And Quarrying Market As Per TBRCon March 4, 2021 at 8:38 am
Dimension Stone Mining, Crushed Stone Mining; By Organization Size – Large Enterprises, Small And Medium EnterprisesLONDON, March 04, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Our reports have been revised for market ...
- Analyst: buying a high-end graphics card for mining would be "very foolish"on March 4, 2021 at 7:10 am
In JPR’s latest report on the PC market, it notes that “the pandemic has distorted all models and predictions as has the gold-rush in Ethereum.” ...
- GTX 1060 graphics cards could be getting a new life as crypto mining cardson March 1, 2021 at 1:30 am
So as new graphics cards get harder to purchase, and more people are getting interested in mining some cryptocurrency on the side, it looks like graphics card manufacturer Palit may be planning to ...
- NVIDIA's new CMP 30HX and 40HX mining processors based on Turing GPUon February 25, 2021 at 6:46 pm
NVIDIA is using the Turing TU116 GPU for the CMP HX30, and the custom TU106 GPU for the CMP 40HX -- CMP 50HX and 90HX use Ampere.
- Simul8 Launches New Process Mining Simulation Modeling Solution to Revolutionize Digital Process Managementon February 25, 2021 at 6:07 am
Digital simulation specialist, Simul8, has announced the launch of its new software solution which aims to revolutionize digital process management.
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
New model for mining
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- University of Arizona geologist digs her way to the topon March 3, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Now Barton is breaking through barriers on the ground and in the workforce where she is the only female faculty member in the department of mining and geological engineering at the University of ...
- Global gold event taking place in SAon February 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (SAIMM) has announced that, together with the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum and the Australasian Institute of Mining ...
- Global gold event taking place in SAon February 25, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Geometallurgy, sampling, mineral processing and extraction and refining techniques will also be addressed. Further topics include overcoming operational challenges, rapid deployment plants ...
- Geometallurgist and NSF CAREER awardee breaks down barrierson February 23, 2021 at 10:58 am
Barton's background in geometallurgy, which bridges the two fields, makes her the perfect candidate for the job. Mine teams run tests to learn more about the ore's properties before developing an ...
- AngloGold Ashanti Limited (AU) CEO Christine Ramon on Q4 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton February 22, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Thanks, Jared. I think the first thing is the technical intervention that was a success in being able to figure out the geometallurgy, which was the actual -- the trick that we had to resolve with ...