Researchers from The Manchester Collaborative Centre for Inflammation Research (MCCIR), University of Manchester have made an important step forward in finding a potential treatment for an infection that affects over a billion people worldwide.
Gastrointestinal parasitic infections, which are worm infections in the intestine, affect nearly one quarter of the world population and have been heavily linked with poverty in poorer regions.
They normally result in a chronic, long-lived infection associated with poor quality of life and health problems.
A team led by Dr Mark Travis, MCCIR and the Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell-Matrix Research, has identified a pathway which seems to be important in driving the chronic infection and that could now potentially be targeted for therapy.
Dr Travis, from The University of Manchester’s Faculty of Life Sciences, said: “Current treatments involve the use of drugs that expel parasitic worms from the body by killing them. But this does not prevent rapid re-infection with worms and sufferers often encounter problems with drug resistance.
“As these infections are usually chronic they are likely to influence the way the body’s immune system behaves. We wanted to look in more detail at the pathways via cells and molecules in the body that regulate the immune response during infections.
“We believe this is crucial for identify new ways to treat these poorly managed infections.”
Researchers examined the behaviour of a key molecule which plays a multi-functional role in controlling the body’s immune response, known as TGF?.
The study, published in the latest edition of the Open Access journal PLOS Pathogens, found when this key molecule was blocked early during an infection it significantly protected from infection in mouse models.
The Latest Bing News on:
Parasitic worm infections
- Addressing the fear and frustration surrounding parasite infectionon May 26, 2022 at 7:07 pm
My sister has had a parasite in her for a couple years now. She has been to several doctors and not one has tested her for parasites. The sad part is one of my babies also has it, I believe. He is 10.
- What Causes Staph Infections in Dogs?on May 24, 2022 at 9:31 am
Bacteria are a natural part of your dog's microbiome, but they can use cuts, irritation, and illness to go from normal to nasty.
- Could Your Cat Have Coccidia? Signs Your Kitty Is Infected With This Pervasive Parasiteon May 23, 2022 at 9:39 am
Coccidia are a common parasite that make their home in the intestinal walls of cats. In fact, they're so pervasive that the Merck Veterinary Manual notes that almost every cat will become infected ...
- There Could Be a Surprising Benefit to Non-Deadly Parasites in The World's Ecosystemson May 21, 2022 at 11:03 pm
When something's messing with your insides and you feel like you're going to hurl, the last thing you probably want to do is eat.
- Miss. faces high risk for parasitic infections, non-profit sayson May 20, 2022 at 10:14 am
A non-profit that raises awareness about the threat of parasites in pets forecasts a high risk for heartworm disease in Mississippi and several other states along the Gulf Coast this summer. Companion ...
- Caribou gut parasites indirectly create a greener tundraon May 20, 2022 at 4:00 am
Gut parasites in large plant eaters like caribou thrive out of sight and somewhat out of mind. But these tiny tummy tenants can have big impacts on the landscape that their hosts travel through.
- Parasite infection warning signs on your skin – and other symptomson May 18, 2022 at 1:48 pm
There are many different types of parasites, which means symptoms can vary widely, from weight loss, to increased appetite or aches and pains. Anyone can contract a parasitic infection and some ...
- Up to 50% of all people are infected with this scary parasite, study sayson May 17, 2022 at 6:22 pm
And, the fact it can spread so easily only aids in that number growing. Parasites can be found in everything. Sometimes, food is even recalled due to possible infections. However, the spread of the ...
- Effect of Intestinal Parasites on COVID-19: Increased Risk or Added Protection?on May 17, 2022 at 8:00 am
About 3 1/2 billion people worldwide are affected by intestinal parasites. People living in developing countries are disproportionally affected. A recent study has found that intestinal parasites may ...
- Eyes are the Windows to One of the Common Parasiteson May 14, 2022 at 11:10 am
A new study looked for signs of toxoplasmosis disease in otherwise healthy people and found that 1 in 3 bore the scar in their eyeballs.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Parasitic worm infections
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- Public defenders, court staff call for a special session to approve funding for raises in labor contracton May 25, 2022 at 1:57 pm
It is vitally important for the governor to call a special session,” said Teamsters Local 320 president Sami Gabriel.
- FCC selects 14 for $203M IT services contracton May 25, 2022 at 9:46 am
Fourteen companies have won positions on a five-year, $203.5 million contract vehicle for providing IT systems and services to the Federal Communications Commission. Awardees will compete for task ...
- Biden, port officials and the ILWU close ranks as West Coast dock contract expiration loomson May 24, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Since last year, the Biden White House has been working behind-the-scenes with the ILWU union and the ports to ensure the ports remain open and dockworkers are on the job, with or without a contract.
- Huisman awarded Seaway 7 contract for monopile lifting spreader baron May 24, 2022 at 2:15 am
Seaway 7 has awarded Huisman a contract for the delivery of a 3,000mt Spreader Bar. The Spreader Bar will support installation of offshore wind turbines. Seaway 7 will initially employ the Spreader ...
- Detroit Diesel: Reject the second UAW sellout contract! Demand strike action!on May 23, 2022 at 9:17 pm
The UAW has again ignored workers’ 98 percent strike mandate and repackaged the contract that workers voted down May 10, forcing another vote.
- Fulkrum awarded contract for offshore wind farm at Dogger Bankon May 18, 2022 at 4:40 am
Fulkrum has secured a contract to support the QA/QC activities for the Dogger Bank Wind Farm project. Fulkrum will provide inspection services during the Dogger Bank A development stage, with a ...
- Back to square one for $28B nuclear management contracton May 17, 2022 at 7:39 pm
The National Nuclear Security Administration is taking current global events into account as it develops new solicitations.
- The Federal Contract Spending Trends For The Last 5 Yearson May 16, 2022 at 8:21 am
to increase the contracts awarded to small disadvantaged businesses by 50% by 2025. The world of government contracting is made up of a tangled web of stringent and convoluted processes that can ...
- Tim Berners-Lee. Contract for the Webon May 3, 2022 at 5:00 pm
At the ripe old age of 30 and with half the globe using it, the World Wide Web is facing growing pains with issues like hate speech, privacy concerns and state-sponsored hacking, its creator says, ...
- AWS Wins Out Over Microsoft For $10B NSA Cloud Contracton May 1, 2022 at 11:26 pm
Amazon Web Services was awarded once again with a National Security Agency cloud computing contract worth up to $10 billion, a deal once challenged by rival Microsoft. The contract, code-named ...