Researchers from The Manchester Collaborative Centre for Inflammation Research (MCCIR), University of Manchester have made an important step forward in finding a potential treatment for an infection that affects over a billion people worldwide.
Gastrointestinal parasitic infections, which are worm infections in the intestine, affect nearly one quarter of the world population and have been heavily linked with poverty in poorer regions.
They normally result in a chronic, long-lived infection associated with poor quality of life and health problems.
A team led by Dr Mark Travis, MCCIR and the Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell-Matrix Research, has identified a pathway which seems to be important in driving the chronic infection and that could now potentially be targeted for therapy.
Dr Travis, from The University of Manchester’s Faculty of Life Sciences, said: “Current treatments involve the use of drugs that expel parasitic worms from the body by killing them. But this does not prevent rapid re-infection with worms and sufferers often encounter problems with drug resistance.
“As these infections are usually chronic they are likely to influence the way the body’s immune system behaves. We wanted to look in more detail at the pathways via cells and molecules in the body that regulate the immune response during infections.
“We believe this is crucial for identify new ways to treat these poorly managed infections.”
Researchers examined the behaviour of a key molecule which plays a multi-functional role in controlling the body’s immune response, known as TGF?.
The study, published in the latest edition of the Open Access journal PLOS Pathogens, found when this key molecule was blocked early during an infection it significantly protected from infection in mouse models.
The Latest Bing News on:
Parasitic worm infections
- Only 14 Cases of Guinea Worm Infection Reported Globally in 2021on January 26, 2022 at 5:31 pm
Fight against parasite is close to eradicating disease it causes; it would be the second such vanquishing of a disease, the first being smallpox ...
- The Horrific Guinea Worm Is on the Run—Just 14 Cases Reported Worldwide Last Yearon January 26, 2022 at 1:20 pm
A debilitating parasitic worm could soon be eradicated as one of humanity’s longtime foes. On Wednesday, the Carter Center announced that only 14 cases of guinea worm disease were reported worldwide ...
- Carter’s dream, almost reached: Guinea worm cases drop to 14on January 26, 2022 at 1:02 pm
Guinea worm infections dropped to just over a dozen worldwide last year, getting closer to fulfilling former President Jimmy Carter's dream of completely eradicating the disease during his lifetime.
- What spiders are afraid of: Bacteria eating worms drive tarantulas to starvationon January 24, 2022 at 2:46 pm
Arachnophobia is the technical term for an irrational or severe fear of spiders. It’s also the name of an incredibly campy yet satisfying horror film from 1990. In the movie, a previously undiscovered ...
- Study reveals parasites in berries; scientists say new protection system neededon January 20, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Cyclospora, Toxoplasma, and Cryptosporidium have been detected in berries sold in Norway. Researchers said findings show the need for a system to ensure ...
- Parasitic worm forces tarantulas to tiptoe, then starves them to deathon January 20, 2022 at 4:00 am
Researchers have discovered a new species of parasitic worm that makes its home in the mouths of tarantulas — then slowly starves the spiders to death. The worms first appear as white splotches around ...
- Worms That Turn Tarantulas Into Tiptoeing Zombies Discoveredon January 19, 2022 at 8:46 am
Scientists in California have discovered a new species of worm capable of turning tarantulas into living 'zombies' and eating them from the inside out. A team of scientists from the University of ...
- Newly Discovered Parasitic Worm Named After Jeff Danielson January 19, 2022 at 6:27 am
Jeff Daniels is now the proud namesake of a tarantula-killing, hermaphroditic species of worm. Scientists at the University of California, Riverside discovered a rare new species of a worm that ...
- Scientists discover tarantula-killing worms: New parasite named after actor Jeff Danielson January 19, 2022 at 2:44 am
Scientists have named a newly discovered species of worm that kills tarantulas after American actor, musician and producer Jeff Daniels, a distinction no other entertainer can claim.
- Antech introduces veterinary medicine's most advanced parasite screening teston January 17, 2022 at 2:30 am
NAVC Veterinary Meeting and Expo (VMX) booth #4222 -- Representing two decades of foundational research and a new standard of care in veterinary ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Parasitic worm infections
The Latest Bing News on:
Contract for the Web
- For Enterprises, Privacy Is the Critical Blockchain Featureon January 26, 2022 at 10:15 am
B lockchain privacy is really hard. Central to the magic of blockchain technology is the consensus algorithm, the tool that maintains the validity of the entire network. The simplest way to understand ...
- EMCORE Awarded Continuing Development Contract for Navigation-Grade Inertial Measurement Units for Advance Tactical Podson January 25, 2022 at 5:30 am
EMCORE Corporation (Nasdaq: EMKR), a leading provider of advanced mixed-signal products that serve the aerospace & defense, communications, and sensing markets, announced today that it has been ...
- Intermap Announces a New Contract with a Leading European Airline to Provide Elevation Data as a Service for Flight Planning Operationson January 25, 2022 at 4:56 am
Intermap Technologies (TSX: IMP) (OTCQX: ITMSF) (“Intermap” or the “Company”), a global leader in geospatial content development and intelligence solutions, today announced a new contract with a ...
- The Web3 Stack: What Web 2.0 Developers Need to Knowon January 24, 2022 at 5:00 am
- What’s at stake in the looming contract fight of 30,000 US oil refinery workerson January 20, 2022 at 9:58 am
Thirty thousand oil workers, employed by 14 different companies, face a looming struggle against both the energy giants and the collusion of the United Steelworkers union when their contract expires ...
- Power industry contracts in North America for Q4 2021 down 19%on January 20, 2022 at 4:25 am
The North America power industry contracts in Q4 2021 outlined, with companies including Amazon Web Services (United States) ,Weyerhaeuser (United States) and Chem-Energy (United States) and Omaha ...
- Global power industry contracts for December 2021 down 19%on January 20, 2022 at 12:24 am
The power industry contracts in December 2021 outlined, with companies including Solar Energy Corporation of India (India) ,Amazon Web Services (United States) and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing ...
- Telenor Signs Strategic Collaboration Deal With Amazon Web Services For 5G Serviceson January 19, 2022 at 9:20 pm
Thursday announced that it has signed a strategic collaboration agreement with Amazon Web Services or AWS. The deal would help expand its 5G core transformation and deliver new 5G and edge services to ...
- Battle for .web “far from over”, says Afilias lawyeron January 19, 2022 at 1:12 am
Altanovo Domains’ fight with Verisign and ICANN for the .web gTLD is not over, despite an adverse ruling late last month, according to a top lawyer for the company. Altanovo, the company previously ...