Forget flexible screens, Disney‘s research lab has invented a new 3D printing process that can make tiny, round screens that could lead to a new generation of spherical gadgets.
The firm has even worked out how to make the text readable on a round screen, meaning even apps could be usable – and raising the prospect of round phones, and screens far more curved that the flexible screens currently being shown off by Samsung and LG.
The Mickey Mouse creator’s research lab has unveiled the new 3D printing technique, and says will initially be used to create children’s toys with realistic eyes.
It uses ‘light pipes’ to print tiny round screens that are being used as eyes for a series of Disney toys.
However it admits the technique could also be used in other gadgets – and even be used to create prosthetic eyes for humans.
Called Papillon, Disney showed off the technique at the SIGGRAPH conference with three small toys, Beep, Boop and their dog-like pet Igg.
The characters had wildly expressive eyes, and responded to the gestures of human visitors.
‘Papillon is a technology that is scalable and flexible,’ said Ivan Poupyrev, a senior research scientist who leads the interaction team at Disney Research Pittsburgh.
The team say it could first be used in toys.
‘We envision it being used for building interactive toys, supplemental characters for videogames, robots or perhaps eventually even human prosthetic eyes.’
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- iBall Aasaan2on January 21, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Aasaan2 mobile was launched in December 2013. The phone comes with a display. iBall Aasaan2 is powered by an one-core processor. The iBall Aasaan2 is powered by a 1000mAh removable battery.
- iBall Andi 3.5KKe Winner+on January 21, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Andi 3.5KKe Winner+ smartphone was launched in October 2014. The phone comes with a 3.50-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 320x480 pixels. iBall Andi 3.5KKe Winner+ is powered by ...
- iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 10,000on January 17, 2021 at 9:33 am
Here is a complete list of iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 10,000 available for sale in India. About, 4 devices with best prices are updated as of 22nd January 2021. GizBot helps you identify the ...
- iBall Andi4 B20on January 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Andi4 B20 was launched in May 2017 & runs on Android 4.4 OS. The Smartphone is available only in one color i.e. default & provides a host of connectivity options in terms of 3G, 4G ...
- Bluetooth Speakers For Kids With Features That Are Ideal For Younger Userson January 11, 2021 at 1:39 am
Handing over your fancy and expensive speaker to your kids might give you panic attacks, thus we advise you to invest in an exclusive bluetooth speake ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Hackaday Podcast 102: Raspberry Pi Microcontroller, Microphone Killswitch, And A 45-Degree 3D-Printeron January 22, 2021 at 9:18 am
Hackaday editors Elliot Williams and Mike Szczys sift through a week of excellent hacks. Big news is of course the Raspberry Pi microcontroller which Elliot had a few weeks to play around with on ...
- 3D Printing and Healthcare: An ETF for 2 Booming Themeson January 22, 2021 at 8:03 am
F ollowing a banner 2020, the ARK 3D Printing ETF (CBOE: PRNT) is already up 26% to start 2021. More upside could be on the way with the help of growing 3D printing demand in healthcare. PRNT is the ...
- 3D Printing of Metals Market Revenue Based On Geographical Spectrum(2022-2031)| EOS GmbH and Concept Laser GmbHon January 22, 2021 at 3:58 am
Market.us, one of the worlds leading by prominent market research firms has released a new recent work on 3D Printing of Metals Market 2022-2031 based on business intelligence, consumer preferences ...
- 3D Printing Materials Market Size Is Estimated To Grow USD 4.5 Billion By 2024, At A CAGR Of 25% From USD 1.5 Billionon January 21, 2021 at 9:23 pm
The 3D printing materials market size is estimated to grow from USD 1.5 billion in 2019 to USD 4.5 billion by 2024, at a CAGR of 25% between 2019 and 2024. 3D printing materials are used in different ...
- 3D Printing Polymer Materials Market Size 2021 Research Report by Share, Challenges, Trends, Geographical Regions, and Opportunities to 2027on January 21, 2021 at 12:49 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “3D Printing Polymer Materials ...