Forget flexible screens, Disney‘s research lab has invented a new 3D printing process that can make tiny, round screens that could lead to a new generation of spherical gadgets.
The firm has even worked out how to make the text readable on a round screen, meaning even apps could be usable – and raising the prospect of round phones, and screens far more curved that the flexible screens currently being shown off by Samsung and LG.
The Mickey Mouse creator’s research lab has unveiled the new 3D printing technique, and says will initially be used to create children’s toys with realistic eyes.
It uses ‘light pipes’ to print tiny round screens that are being used as eyes for a series of Disney toys.
However it admits the technique could also be used in other gadgets – and even be used to create prosthetic eyes for humans.
Called Papillon, Disney showed off the technique at the SIGGRAPH conference with three small toys, Beep, Boop and their dog-like pet Igg.
The characters had wildly expressive eyes, and responded to the gestures of human visitors.
‘Papillon is a technology that is scalable and flexible,’ said Ivan Poupyrev, a senior research scientist who leads the interaction team at Disney Research Pittsburgh.
The team say it could first be used in toys.
‘We envision it being used for building interactive toys, supplemental characters for videogames, robots or perhaps eventually even human prosthetic eyes.’
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- iBall Slide Co-Mateon January 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Slide Co-Mate tablet was launched on 15th April 2016. The tablet comes with a 8.00-inch display with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels at a pixel density of 188 pixels per inch (ppi).
- iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 20,000on January 17, 2021 at 9:32 am
Here is a complete list of iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 20,000 available for sale in India. About, 4 devices with best prices are updated as of 11th January 2021. GizBot helps you identify the ...
- IBALL PHONESon January 16, 2021 at 4:00 pm
An electronics company headquartered in Mumbai, iBall is a manufacturer of computer peripherals, mobile phones and tablets. iBall focuses on budget Android smartphones and tablets. The company ...
- iBall Andi4 B20on January 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Andi4 B20 was launched in May 2017 & runs on Android 4.4 OS. The Smartphone is available only in one color i.e. default & provides a host of connectivity options in terms of 3G, 4G ...
- Bluetooth Speakers For Kids With Features That Are Ideal For Younger Userson January 11, 2021 at 1:39 am
Handing over your fancy and expensive speaker to your kids might give you panic attacks, thus we advise you to invest in an exclusive bluetooth speake ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- 3D Printing Stocks News: Why XONE, SSYS, DDD and DM Are All Moving Todayon January 19, 2021 at 5:22 pm
3D printing stocks like XONE, SSYS, DDD and DM stock are on the move today thanks to one analyst's bullish coverage. Here's what to know. More From InvestorPlace Why Everyone Is Investing in 5G All ...
- Protolabs, 3D-Print Metal Fabricator, Up on Output-Platform Dealon January 19, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Protolabs, a 3D-printing metal fabricator, agreed to pay as much as $330 million for 3D Hubs, an online manufacturing platform Protolabs ( PRLB) - Get Report jumped Tuesday after the 3D-printing metal ...
- 3D Printing Metal Market 2019 Growth, COVID Impact, Trends Analysis Report 2025on January 19, 2021 at 2:22 am
The global 3D printing metal market is expected to grow at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. The factors ...
- Global Industrial 3D Printing Market (2020 to 2026) - Industry Analysis, Trends, Market Size, and Forecasts - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 18, 2021 at 9:53 pm
ResearchAndMarkets.com The “Industrial 3D Printing Market: Global Industry Analysis, Trends, Market Size, and Forecasts up to 2026” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. This ...
- 3D Printing Medical Devices Market 2021 Industry Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast to 2026on January 18, 2021 at 9:45 pm
D Printing Medical Devices Industry Description Wiseguyreports.Com Adds "3D Printing Medical Devices -Market Demand, ...