Forget flexible screens, Disney‘s research lab has invented a new 3D printing process that can make tiny, round screens that could lead to a new generation of spherical gadgets.
The firm has even worked out how to make the text readable on a round screen, meaning even apps could be usable – and raising the prospect of round phones, and screens far more curved that the flexible screens currently being shown off by Samsung and LG.
The Mickey Mouse creator’s research lab has unveiled the new 3D printing technique, and says will initially be used to create children’s toys with realistic eyes.
It uses ‘light pipes’ to print tiny round screens that are being used as eyes for a series of Disney toys.
However it admits the technique could also be used in other gadgets – and even be used to create prosthetic eyes for humans.
Called Papillon, Disney showed off the technique at the SIGGRAPH conference with three small toys, Beep, Boop and their dog-like pet Igg.
The characters had wildly expressive eyes, and responded to the gestures of human visitors.
‘Papillon is a technology that is scalable and flexible,’ said Ivan Poupyrev, a senior research scientist who leads the interaction team at Disney Research Pittsburgh.
The team say it could first be used in toys.
‘We envision it being used for building interactive toys, supplemental characters for videogames, robots or perhaps eventually even human prosthetic eyes.’
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- iBall Slide 6351-Q400ion January 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Slide 6351-Q400i tablet was launched in September 2015. The tablet comes with a 7.00-inch display with a resolution of 600x1024 pixels. iBall Slide 6351-Q400i is powered by a 1.3GHz quad ...
- iBall Slide 3G Q81on January 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Slide 3G Q81 tablet was launched in January 2016. The tablet comes with a 8.00-inch display with a resolution of 800x1200 pixels. iBall Slide 3G Q81 is powered by a 1GHz quad-core Intel Atom ...
- iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 20,000on January 17, 2021 at 9:32 am
Here is a complete list of iball Android Mobiles Under ₹ 20,000 available for sale in India. About, 4 devices with best prices are updated as of 11th January 2021. GizBot helps you identify the ...
- iball 4G Mobiles Under ₹ 15,000on January 17, 2021 at 9:19 am
Here is a complete list of iball 4G Mobiles Under ₹ 15,000 available for sale in India. About, 1 devices with best prices are updated as of 19th January 2021. GizBot helps you identify the best ...
- iBall Andi4 B20on January 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
iBall Andi4 B20 was launched in May 2017 & runs on Android 4.4 OS. The Smartphone is available only in one color i.e. default & provides a host of connectivity options in terms of 3G, 4G ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- CES 2021: Breezm Uses 3D Printing To Make Truly Custom Eyewearon January 20, 2021 at 11:24 am
Breezm uses 3D scanning and 3D printing to create unique glasses for every customer Breezm stores are open now in South Korea, and pop up stores are planned for the US later this year A Breezm app is ...
- 3D Printing Materials Market – Types, Applications, Drivers, Challenges, Opportunities, Shares, Countries, Revenue and Analysis Forecast to 2025on January 20, 2021 at 5:54 am
Jan (Heraldkeepers) -- Meticulous Research(R) - leading global market research company published a research report titled "3D Printing ...
- 3D Printing Market India 2020 To 2025|Rising Demand, Share, Trends, Growth, Opportunitieson January 20, 2021 at 2:57 am
Global 3D Printing Market AnalysisAccording to Verified Market Research, the Global 3D Printing Market was valued at ...
- Global 3D Printing for Automotives Market 2021 Report – Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 and Forecast to 2029on January 19, 2021 at 10:24 pm
MarketDesk :The Impacts of COVID-19 on the 3D Printing for Automotives Market Report Research Industry 2021 has been included in market.biz library. This Global 3D Printing for Automotives market ...
- 3D Printing Stocks News: Why XONE, SSYS, DDD and DM Are All Moving Todayon January 19, 2021 at 5:22 pm
3D printing stocks like XONE, SSYS, DDD and DM stock are on the move today thanks to one analyst's bullish coverage. Here's what to know. More From InvestorPlace Why Everyone Is Investing in 5G All ...