You may know Botox from its use by the rich and famous to eliminate facial wrinkles.
But now Helene Johannessen, a PhD candidate at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), is studying whether or not Botox could be used as an alternative to treating morbid obesity, replacing costly and dangerous operations.
Tests on rats have shown that treatments with Botox injected into the vagus nerve in the stomach can lead to weight loss. When Johannessen and her colleagues injected rats with Botox, the animals ate less and lost 20-30 per cent of their body weight over five weeks. The treatment effectively paralyzes the vagus nerve, which triggers the sense of hunger and controls the passing of food through the intestines.
Paralyzing the nerve paralyzes muscles in the stomach, which appears to slow the passage of food through the stomach. This effect might one day lead to treatments that cause people to feel fuller for longer.
EU project fights obesity
The hope is that the use of botox can be developed into an alternative to gastric bypass surgery. Johannessen and her research are part of the Experimental Surgery and Pharmacology research group, which is exploring alternatives to gastric surgery. The Botox treatment study is part of an EU project called Full4Health.
Botox is actually botulinum toxin, which when ingested in spoiled foods can lead to both paralysis and death. Nowadays Botox is used in the medical treatment of dystonias and spasms, as well for its more famous cosmetic use. If Johannessen and her colleagues succeed in their efforts, it might also become useful in giving people a healthier and less weighty life.
Clinical studies coming
Johannessen told the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) that her research team will start human clinical studies as soon as Norwegian medical ethics authorities give their approval.
The Latest Bing News on:
Fighting fat with Botox
- 'My friend, she's really skinny, I need to lose weight' … the teenage angst swamping 10-year-old girlson January 21, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Body anxiety. Friendship break-ups. Social media obsessions. Tears, so many tears. For today’s Australian girls, tweens are growing up faster than ever. Welcome to the life of the “ten-ager”.
- 18 Rich Moments From Netflix's 'Bling Empire', The Show On Real-Life Crazy Rich Asianson January 21, 2021 at 1:38 am
There's rich, there's extremely rich, and then there's the uber-rich world of the Asians starring in Netflix's latest reality show, Bling Empire.. Bling Empire fol ...
- Women's top 5 embarrassing health issueson January 16, 2021 at 2:00 am
Physical exercise helps reduce any cellulite that you might already have, but only by reducing fat anf girth ... pills or even Botox, in extreme cases, might help fight this ailment.
- Married at First Sight star Jessika Power shares shocking 'makeup free' selfie with red raw faceon December 29, 2020 at 12:03 am
$13,500 on a fat transfer from her thighs to her breasts, $1,800 on cheek Botox, $1,200 on forehead Botox, and another $1,200 on 'jaw slimming'. Jessika initially had lip injections when she was ...
- Health Trends for 2004on December 13, 2020 at 3:52 am
she says the low-carb craze of 2003 may turn out to be just another food fad like the fat-free frenzy of the 1990s. Fighting the effects of aging will get a little easier in 2004 thanks to a new ...
- Do You Need a Facelift or a Less Invasive Treatment?on December 12, 2020 at 11:42 am
Luckily, there are alternative methods for fighting off the ... The toxin from Botox helps relax those key areas where emotion is expressed. This smoothes out wrinkles and gives you a youthful ...
- Katie Victoria Adamson August 12, 2020 at 5:46 pm
It’ll happen to the best of us and there’s no fighting the fact you’ll be borrowing ... I read a couple of (Botox-enhanced) eyebrow-raising articles on ageing recently.
- Advances in products and procedures provide skin care for all ageson July 21, 2016 at 3:16 pm
And you may want to consider Botox and fillers — not because those ... It's also time to add a few more products to the age-fighting arsenal. Exfoliating can help, or you can add a stronger ...
- Reading these 8 books will help you achieve your goalson January 22, 2015 at 9:49 am
Here is a list of the eight most inspirational reads to keep you fighting the good fight. 1) Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants ... bikini waxes, Botox and stripping). Her style is witty and ...
- Can You Prevent Wrinkles with Eggs?on April 9, 2014 at 6:00 am
READ: Do Chia Seeds Fight Wrinkles? “I hypothesized that its ... READ: Are Oxygen Facials the New Botox? “There really isn’t much evidence-based medicine behind the topical application ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Fighting fat with Botox
The Latest Bing News on:
- Jennifer Lopez celebrates 'Wedding Planner' 20th anniversary and talks Botoxon January 27, 2021 at 1:24 pm
It's the 20-year anniversary of when Jennifer Lopez's romcom, "The Wedding Planner," hit No. 1 at the box office before grossing $100 million worldwide and making J.Lo a bona fide movie star.
- Jennifer Lopez's Response To Botox Rumors Was All About Setting The Record Straighton January 27, 2021 at 8:25 am
Celebrities see their fair share of shade on the internet, but Jennifer Lopez has no problem defending herself. While there's been plenty of times she let shade roll right off her shoulders, J. Lo ...
- Jennifer Lopez denies using botox: ‘Don’t call me a liar’on January 27, 2021 at 5:23 am
Jennifer Lopez has once again lashed out at fans alleging she had undergone botox treatment. It all started earlier this month when the 51-year-old diva shared a video of herself showing off her ...
- Jennifer Lopez Talked Those Botox Allegations: "Don't Call Me a Liar"on January 27, 2021 at 3:53 am
Jennifer Lopez responded to a commenter on Instagram who alleged she'd had Botox, stressing she'd "never" received any sort of injectable. And in a new interview with People, Lopez explained why she ...
- Jennifer Lopez Tells Followers 'Don't Call Me A Liar' Over Botox Speculationon January 27, 2021 at 3:41 am
Jennifer Lopez Explains Why She Shut Down Botox Speculation: 'Don't Call Me A Liar'Jennifer Lopez has elaborated on her decision to address accusations of having botox head on.Since launching her ...
- Jennifer Lopez Opens Up About Claims She Gets Botox and Shares What She Actually Does to Her Skinon January 26, 2021 at 2:36 pm
Jennifer Lopez shut down a fan last week who claimed she got Botox in her face. J.Lo promised fans she was being transparent and shared what she does to her skin instead. It's no secret that some of ...
- Jennifer Lopez shuts down Botox claims again: 'Don’t call me a liar'on January 26, 2021 at 11:26 am
Jennifer Lopez once again set the record straight about getting Botox and other fillers in the face. The 51-year-old singer/actress/producer doubled down in a People magazine interview and affirmed ...
- Jennifer Lopez Says Her Botox Is Trying “To Be Kind and Lift Up Other Women”on January 26, 2021 at 9:31 am
Jennifer Lopez 's ageless good looks might seem too good to be true, but the pop star insists she hasn't used any Botox or fillers, chalking up her smooth skin to kindness. Earlier this month, Lopez ...
- Jennifer Lopez blasts Botox claims: ‘Don’t call me a liar’on January 26, 2021 at 7:47 am
Jennifer Lopez is setting the record straight about her famous face. Earlier this month, the 51-year-old triple threat clapped back at an Instagram critic who accused her of “definitely [having] Botox ...
- Jennifer Lopez on Why She Responded to That Botox Instagram Comment: 'It Had to Be Set Straight'on January 26, 2021 at 6:02 am
An Instagram user accused J.Lo of having "tons" of botox despite Lopez publicly denying it multiple times. Jennifer Lopez made headlines earlier this month when she responded to an Instagram user who ...