Cheap, practical fusion may be closer than you think.
Nuclear fusion is 30 years away, and always will be. That’s the refrain we’ve heard, again and again for decades.
But this is a story that few have noticed. Unlike computers, fusion has to get really great before it’s useful at all. Right now it’s pretty good, but not quite good enough. It’s getting close though.
There’s another reason the story’s been missed. We’ve spent billions on enormous, horribly complex fusion reactors that aren’t expected to be commercially available before 2050…and even then, it’s hard to see how they wouldn’t be too expensive.
But those are not the only game in town. The real overlooked story is this: a handful of small research projects, often running on a shoestring, ready to beat the big projects at their own game. Some of these little projects have attracted serious investment, from venture capitalists and Goldman Sachs.
And not a moment too soon, with CO2 levels already at 400ppm, and no significant emission cuts in sight. The clock’s running out. We need something dramatic.
If we may be permitted a football analogy: We’re five points behind, there’s half a minute left in the game, we’re a long way from the endzone, and we’re not going to get there in time by playing it safe. We need a long pass. We might not win, but it’s the one play that gives us a chance.
Or in gambling terms…it’s worth drawing to an inside straight when there’s enough money in the pot.
The fusion projects listed here give us a shot at power competitive with fossil fuels or (in some cases) far cheaper, with no pollution, perfect safety, and no nuclear waste. Sound too good to be true? Read on. Find out what these projects are, and how we can use better funding mechanisms to improve our odds.
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Nuclear Fusion: Building a Star on Earth Is Hard – We Need Better Materialson April 19, 2021 at 6:18 am
Nuclear fusion is the process that powers the Sun and all other stars. During fusion, the nuclei of two atoms are brought close enough together that they fuse together, releasing huge amounts of ...
- Clean Power Capital Announces Investment in Fusion One Waste to Electricity and Hydrogen Technologyon April 15, 2021 at 3:45 pm
Clean Power will be acquiring an approximate 5 percent ownership of FusionOne for an initial US $500,000 investment. Clean Power will also receive one-year warrants to acquire an additional 3,333,333 ...
- Phoenix Receives $2.5 Million Contract from DOE for Fusion Energy Technologyon April 13, 2021 at 8:30 am
Phoenix announced today that it has received a $2.5 million Cooperative Agreement jointly awarded by the Department of Energy's Office of Science – Fusion Energy Sciences (FES) program and the ...
- Ingredient in Household Cleaner Improves Efficiency of Fusion Reactionson April 13, 2021 at 7:29 am
Want to improve your chances of making electricity from fusion? Look no further than the cleaners under your kitchen sink. Research led by scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Princeton ...
- Somerset could have a nuclear fusion reactor in long-term plans for Hinkley Point siteon April 12, 2021 at 6:46 am
Somerset could end up with a nuclear fusion reactor under one long-term proposal for the Hinkley Point site. The UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) has been asking UK local authorities to put forward ...
Go deeper with Google Headlines on:
Go deeper with Bing News on:
- Team improves polar direct drive fusion neutron sources for use in laser experimentson April 22, 2021 at 5:30 am
Scientists from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) and the Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE) are working to improve polar direct drive (PDD) neutron sources on the National Ignition ...
- Heroic YouTubers Are Building a 479-HP Power Wheels Tank With EV Parts From eBayon April 21, 2021 at 10:14 am
The Indiana-based YouTubers have constructed a variety of ludicrously powerful kids' vehicles, from a dirt bike-powered, tube-framed Disney Jeep to a miniature Chevy Camaro with an ATV engine and ...
- SHINE, Phoenix merger focused on advancing fusion technologyon April 21, 2021 at 8:22 am
SHINE Medical Technologies LLC and Phoenix LLC completed a merger under which Phoenix has become a wholly owned subsidiary of SHINE.
- BLUETTI EP500 Pro portable power supply passes $3 million on Kickstarteron April 21, 2021 at 1:00 am
Sponsored: Following on from the huge success of their previous crowdfunding campaign for the AC200 last year. Earlier this month BLUETTI launch their ...
- BLUETTI’s new EP500/Pro could be the most powerful mobile power station on the planeton April 20, 2021 at 6:02 am
The EP500/Pro - has pulled over $1 million in the first hour on Kickstarter and is now rapidly approaching the $3M milestone in less than 3 weeks.