Other exciting applications are under study
A new nanostructured material with applications that could include reducing condensation in airplane cabins and enabling certain medical tests without the need for high tech laboratories has been developed by researchers at the University of Sydney.
“The newly discovered material uses raspberry particles – so-called because of their appearance – which can trap tiny water droplets and prevent them from rolling off surfaces, even when that surface is turned upside down,” said Dr Andrew Telford from the University’s School of Chemistry and lead author of the research recently published in the journal, Chemistry of Materials.
The ability to immobilise very small droplets on a surface is, according to Dr Telford, a significant achievement with innumerable potential applications.
Raspberry particles mimic the surface structure of some rose petals.
“Water droplets bead up in a spherical shape on top of rose petals,” Dr Telford said. “This is a sign the flower is highly water repellent.”
The reasons for this are complex and largely due to the special structure of the rose petal’s surface. The research team replicated the rose petal by assembling raspberry particles in the lab using spherical micro- and nanoparticles.
The result is that water droplets bead up when placed on films of the raspberry particles and they’re not able to drip down from it, even when turned upside down.
“Raspberry particle films can be described as sticky tape for water droplets,” Dr Telford said.
This could be useful in preventing condensation issues in airplane cabins. It could also help rapidly process simple medical tests on free-standing droplets, with the potential for very high turnover of tests with inexpensive equipment and in remote areas.
Other exciting applications are under study: if we use this nanotechnology to control how a surface is structured we can influence how it will interact with water.
“This means we will be able to design a surface that does whatever you need it to do.
“We could also design a surface that stays dry forever, never needs cleaning or able to repel bacteria or even prevent mould and fungi growth.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Raspberry home remedieson December 1, 2021 at 6:20 pm
With raspberry, you can remove all the dust and dirt particles beneath your skin. It also aims at removing or dealing with the damaged skin cells so that the skin can appear naturally glowing and ...
- DETROIT FUDGE COMPANY SOUR BLUE RASPBERRY BOLT GUMMIES 100MG MEDon November 26, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Get perks like local deals, new strain spotlights, and a free jar of CBD:THC gummies when you sign up ($59 value)! Get high for less. Download the Leafly app.
- First #ActivistEngineering project calls on engineers to tackle indoor air pollutionon November 23, 2021 at 7:18 am
“The pilot project aims to address the challenges of rising air pollution, particularly pollution indoors caused by airborne particles ... platform is based on a Raspberry Pi single-board ...
- DesignSpark community urged to engineer for a better worldon November 23, 2021 at 5:26 am
RS Components (RS) has launched its DesignSpark #ActivistEngineering programme, further strengthening the company’s commitment to engage and inspire design engineers across the globe to ‘make amazing ...
- raspberry pion November 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A mask was made from vinyl sheet and a squeegee used to deposit a thick layer of silver and glass particles 1 um or ... which was controlled with a Raspberry Pi running PicoReFlow, and after ...
- RS Components launches activist engineering programme urging DesignSpark community to engineer for a better worldon November 22, 2021 at 4:27 am
RS Components (RS), a trading brand of Electrocomponents plc, a global omni-channel provider of product and service solutions, has launched its DesignSpark #ActivistEngineering programme, further ...
- Linda Delmonico Prussenon November 20, 2021 at 3:55 am
The palate is bursting with fresh raspberry, green pepper and molasses ... is a process called sur lie treatment. Lees are small particles of yeast that settle in the wine. Allowing the wine ...
- Herpesyl Review: Is It A Real HSV Supplement?on November 17, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Red Raspberry Fruit Red raspberry is another major ingredient ... Not only that, it also provides enough aid to the body so it can reverse the hidden herpes particles in the body so the body doesn’t ...
- Recipe: Raspberry and White Chocolate Squareson November 4, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C. Spray a square baking tin, measuring approx. 23cm x 23cm (9 x 9 inch) with low fat cooking spray. Melt the low fat spread in a saucepan. Remove ...
- Spectacular display of Northern Lights on the cards across Ireland tonighton November 4, 2021 at 12:23 pm
Astronomy Ireland magazine also posted beautiful photos of a starry night in south Sligo against a green and raspberry-coloured ... emit electrically-charged particles that appear as wavy curtains ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Raspberry particle films
- Anderson Cooper Full Circleon December 2, 2021 at 3:52 am
Catch up with Stephen Colbert, Henry Winkler and more of Anderson Cooper's friends on his 24 hour streaming channel. WarnerMedia uses data to improve and analyze its functionality and to tailor ...
- 3D printed enclosureon November 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Inspired by films such as The Matrix ... It’s totally unnecessary and costs as much as the Raspberry Pi itself, but it sure is pretty. If there’s a downside to the design, it’s that ...
- Ohio, Michigan governors wager sweet treats on 'Big Game'on November 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
They include cream puffs from Schmidt’s in Columbus, black raspberry chip ice cream from Graeter’s in Cincinnati, chocolate-covered pretzels from Malley’s in Cleveland and buckeye candies ...
- Toray sampling film for transparent 5G componentson November 17, 2021 at 10:26 pm
That is because tiny voids inside the film scatter light and result in low transparency. Toray therefore combined its polymer design and proprietary particle dispersion technologies to eliminate these ...
- A baker's dozen Thanksgiving pies to order from CT bakerieson November 17, 2021 at 8:01 am
raspberry, strawberry and rhubarb.) Classic creams include chocolate and coconut, and other seasonal treats include pumpkin cheesecake and cider donuts. On its website, Beardsley "strongly ...
- Forza Horizon 5 shows Playground Games at the height of its ambitionon November 5, 2021 at 1:39 am
When playing on the Xbox Series X, I was consistently surprised by how well the lighting systems and particle effects added to the experience. Forza Horizon 5 offers both a Graphics Mode and ...
- Digi-Key and Make: Announce 2021 Boards Guide and Companion Augmented Reality Appon November 2, 2021 at 2:19 am
New to this year's guide is a highlighted case study on the recently introduced Raspberry Pi 2040 MCU-based solutions. Within its first year, there have been over 60 boards developed from various ...
- Australian Raspberry Pi Tutorialson October 20, 2021 at 5:01 pm
It also covers using Particle Pi for IoT applications that integrate with IFTTT. We do realize that most people reading Hackaday have probably used a Raspberry Pi at least once or twice.
- Available Programmes A to Z - Non September 4, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Nadiya cooks up a summer feast with sticky BBQ lamb and raspberry ripple eclair pops. Nadiya Hussain shares recipes designed to help us all save time and calm our hectic lives.