Maybe digital technology is a neutral medium, conveying all our thoughts and feelings equally well.
Or maybe, as tech hype tells us, our apps and gadgets skew positive, liberating us to do good and be better. But this paper suggests otherwise. According to its analysis millions of posts on Weibo (China’s answer to Twitter), there is one emotion that spreads much more widely and quickly across the social network than any other. And that emotion is anger.
The authors—Rui Fan, Jichang Zhao, Yan Chen and Ke Xu of Beihang University—crunched through 70 million tweets posted on on Weibo in 2010, mapping both interactions among users and four key emotions they were expressing. (They began by using emoticons that expressed sadness, joy, disgust and anger, then used those to train a software agent to spot the characteristic language of each emotion in other, non-emoticonned tweets.) With this analytic framework, they had a way to characterize the emotions expressed in any given tweet and to map how that tweet was replied to and retweeted. They could then look for correlations between the mood of a tweet and the extent to which it was spread in the social network. That’s one of their figures above, illustrating this post: A network of Weibo tweeters, all of whom has at least 30 interactions with each other. Each point is a tweeter, each line is an interaction between tweeters, and the colors indicate the dominant sentiment that the tweeter put forth in the time sampled. Red is anger, green is joy, blue is sadness and black marks disgust.
The Latest Bing News on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
- Iranians Fear Turning Into Another 'North Norea' If Draconian Internet Censorship Bill Passeson August 1, 2021 at 7:47 am
Iran's hard-line parliament has inched closer to adopting a highly controversial bill that could enable harsher online censorship and the criminalization of anti-filtering tools widely used by ...
- Weekend of street protests in Thailand, Malaysia as anger swells over governments’ apparent mishandling of COVID-19 crisison August 1, 2021 at 6:14 am
The Online Citizen Asia Weekend of street protests in Thailand, Malaysia as anger swells over governments' apparent mishandling of COVID-19 crisis Asia ...
- ‘Freedom’ activists aim to harness anger for new political partyon July 30, 2021 at 12:30 am
The rapidly evolving anti-lockdown movement plans to enter the electoral fray, and vaccination resistance is emerging as a key battleground.
- Looking Beyond Self-Help to Understand Resilience: An Interview with Michael Ungaron July 28, 2021 at 3:00 am
Ayurdhi Dhar interviews Michael Ungar about how complex systems make us vulnerable and how resilience emerges in context-specific ways.
- Anatomy of an Inauthentically Organized Campaignon July 24, 2021 at 10:15 am
Disinformation campaigns depend on real-world events to offer an illusion of popularity for unpopular ideas, but they're easy to spot when you know what to look for.
- Violent Protests Spread Across Tunisia Over Economy, Viruson July 23, 2021 at 6:00 am
Violent demonstrations broke out on Sunday in several Tunisian cities as protesters expressed anger at the deterioration of the country's health, economic and social situation. Thousands of people ...
- Social media’s coronavirus challenge: Responsibilityon July 21, 2021 at 7:37 pm
The COVID-19 pandemic changed everything — even for social media giants like Facebook and Twitter. In short, pressed by the global public health emergency, social media platforms became arbiters of ...
- Cuba’s nascent 3G network is enabling nationwide protestson July 13, 2021 at 10:23 am
Thousands of protesters took to the streets in dozens of cities across Cuba yesterday (July 11) to voice their anger over the ... protests on mainstream social networks like Facebook and Twitter ...
- Cuba's protests are getting amplified thanks to its 3G networkon July 12, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Thousands of protesters took to the streets in dozens of cities across Cuba yesterday (June 11) to voice their anger over the ... protests on mainstream social networks like Facebook and Twitter ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Social Networks Spread Anger
The Latest Bing News on:
- Hogg ‘would never bite opponent’ after social media claimson August 1, 2021 at 8:06 am
Stuart Hogg denied accusations of biting an opponent that were leveled at him on social media after the British and Irish Lions’ heavy 27-9 defeat to the Springboks in Saturday's second test in Cape ...
- Apple pulls anti-vax social app over misinformationon July 31, 2021 at 10:22 am
Apple has pulled Unjeced's anti-vax dating and social app over misinformation, and Google might not be far behind.
- Social networks used to help each other during the pandemicon July 23, 2021 at 8:34 pm
Without the help of social networks and multimedia messaging platforms to connect and solve daily life problems, people's lives can be even more difficult and it is easy to cause social unrest. While ...
- Global and Regional Social Networking Sites Market: Present Status And Future Prospectson July 22, 2021 at 5:01 am
The Social Networking Sites Market Snapshot Since the turn of the new decade, change has been relentless for Social Networking Sites Market across all geographies. The year 2020 was tumultuous, and by ...
- How to repair our shrinking social, job networkson July 21, 2021 at 11:04 pm
NEW YORK (Reuters) - If your social and professional networks disintegrated in the pandemic, you are not alone. Marissa King, author of the book “Social Chemistry,” and professor at the Yale ...
- How to repair our shrinking social, job networkson July 21, 2021 at 11:00 pm
If your social and professional networks disintegrated in the pandemic, you are not alone. Marissa King, author of the book "Social Chemistry," and professor at the Yale School of Management, has been ...
- HalloApp, The Ad-Free Social Network That Challenges Facebookon July 21, 2021 at 8:22 am
Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB) and WhatsApp have a new rival in the market. It is called HalloApp and promotes itself as the "first network of real ...
- Competitive Scenario of Social Network Market Growth, Size, Demand, Forecast with Depth Assessment by Top Key Players 2026on July 20, 2021 at 12:29 pm
Global "Social Network Market"Growth (2021-2026): is expected to grow at a steady growth during the forecast period.
- Uhive Social Network Launches an Invite-Only Marketplace that Let’s Users Turn Their Profiles into Sellable NFTs!on July 20, 2021 at 5:39 am
Uhive Social Network Launches an Invite-Only Marketplace that Let’s Users Turn Their Social Media Profiles into Sellable NFTs!