A new study has revealed that global warming is resulting in the spread of crop pests towards the North and South Poles at a rate of nearly 3 km a year.
The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change and carried out by researchers at the University of Exeter and the University of Oxford, shows a strong relationship between increased global temperatures over the past 50 years and expansion in the range of crop pests.
Currently 10-16% of global crop production is lost to pests. Crop pests include fungi, bacteria, viruses, insects, nematodes, viroids and oomycetes. The diversity of crop pests continues to expand and new strains are continually evolving. Losses of major crops to fungi, and fungi-like microorganisms, amount to enough to feed nearly nine percent of today’s global population. The study suggests that these figures will increase further if global temperatures continue to rise as predicted.
The spread of pests is caused by both human activities and natural processes but is thought to be primarily the result of international freight transportation. The study suggests that the warming climate is allowing pests to become established in previously unsuitable regions. For example, warming generally stimulates insect herbivory at higher latitudes as seen in outbreaks of the Mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae) that has destroyed large areas of pine forest in the US Pacific Northwest. In addition, the rice blast fungus which is present in over 80 countries, and has a dramatic effect both on the agricultural economy and ecosystem health, has now moved to wheat. Considered a new disease, wheat blast is sharply reducing wheat yields in Brazil.
Dr Dan Bebber from the University of Exeter said: “If crop pests continue to march polewards as the Earth warms the combined effects of a growing world population and the increased loss of crops to pests will pose a serious threat to global food security.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Pest Control Global Market Report 2023on March 29, 2023 at 8:14 pm
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Pest Control Global Market Report 2023" - , ServiceMaster Global Holdings Inc., Syngenta Crop Protection LLC, Terminix, Truly Nolen Pest Control, ...
- Agrochemicals Market by Type, Crop Type, Fertilizers Type, Pesticide Type and Region - Global Forecast to 2028on March 29, 2023 at 3:29 am
The global market for agrochemicals has been estimated to be USD 235.2 billion in 2023 and is projected to grow at a rate of 3.7% between 2023 and 2028.The agrochemicals market is projected to grow at ...
- Agriculture Crop Pest Repellents Market Technologies, Trends, Growth, Segments, Landscape and Demand by Forecast to 2030on March 28, 2023 at 1:42 am
The global agriculture crop pest repellents market size is estimated to showcase impressive growth owing to the ...
- Global Crop Protection Chemicals Market 2023 to 2028: Players Include BASF, Corteva Agriscience, Sumitomo Chemical, Syngenta and Bayer Cropscienceon March 27, 2023 at 6:15 pm
BASF SE; Corteva Agriscience; Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd; Syngenta AG; Bayer Cropscience AG; FMC Corporation; Monsanto Company; Nufarm Limited; ADAMA Agricultu ...
- Uganda: New Partnership to Fight Pests, Diseases in Papayaon March 27, 2023 at 5:01 pm
A new partnership has been established to step up the fight against pests and diseases of papaya in Uganda.The collaboration is between the Centre for Agriculture and Bioscience International (CABI), ...
- Crops to avoid growing in your garden - they can be ‘destroyed overnight’ by pestson March 27, 2023 at 11:41 am
New research has found one in three Britons grow their own produce with a further 35 percent looking to start growing their own.
- Division to guide courses on cropson March 26, 2023 at 9:01 pm
Specialists with the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture will lead a workshop series in Northwest Arkansas to help fruit and vegetable growers understand soil health on their farms ...
- Using Arduino Pro monitor crops for pestson March 23, 2023 at 2:55 am
If you are interested in keeping your crops free from pests you might be interested in a new range of hardware capable of building pest monitoring systems using the Arduino Pro platform.
- Using These Spiders For Pest Control Can Reduce Insecticide Use: U.K. Studyon March 20, 2023 at 11:00 am
Tropical tent web spiders may sound scary, but they’re really not, unless you’re a tomato leafminer moth (or maybe another flying insect).
- How to Control Insect Pests Using Radiationon March 20, 2023 at 7:35 am
The use of radiation can help in the regulation or management of pests — known as pest control — effectively preventing insect-related risks to human and animal health, the ecosystems and food ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Crop pests” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Cyclone Gabrielle: Kūmara businesses cling to staff despite massive crop losson March 29, 2023 at 3:41 pm
Insurance is helping pay for infrastructure damage but not crop loss. “If we get over the financial hurdle for the next 12 months, we can have a crop again,” he said. “We’ve been [spending] three or ...
- High school baseball Top of the Crop for March 29on March 29, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Watch list: VASJ (1-0), Geneva (2-0), Lake Catholic (0-0), Perry (0-1) Crop comments: It was a hot start to the ... but also had a pair of losses to Benet (11-1 and 19-4) as well as to Olentangy ...
- Govt: Rs 10,000-cr aid given to farmers for crop loss in 5 yearson March 29, 2023 at 11:56 am
The Gujarat government told the state legislature Wednesday that financial aid of more than Rs 10,000 crore has been provided to farmers in the state for the crop loss that happened due to uncertain ...
- Crop Loss: Telangana CM Asks Officials To Initiate Measures To Extend Financial Assistanceon March 29, 2023 at 7:58 am
Rao, held a review meeting on crop loss, podu lands, sheep distribution, financial assistance to the poor for house construction and other issues, a release from CMO said.
- If crop loss more than 75%, Punjab farmers to get Rs 15,000/acreon March 29, 2023 at 3:36 am
Following visit to different parts of the state for assessing the crop loss to farmers, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Sunday announced a 25 per cent upward revision in the compensation for the crop ...
- Andhra Pradesh: Chief Minister directs officials to complete enumeration of crop loss due to recent rains at the earlieston March 29, 2023 at 2:53 am
He has also directed them to complete the enumeration of crop loss during the recent unseasonal rains at the earliest. At a review meeting conducted at his Camp Office, near here, on Wednesday, Mr.
- Special 'girdawari' to assess crop loss due to rains: Mannon March 27, 2023 at 11:31 pm
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Monday said he has issued directions for a special "girdawari" (field inspection) to assess crop damage due to recent rains in the state.He ...
- Crop Loss Due to rain, hail: Mann bites the bullet, announces 6-month moratorium on loan repayment by farmerson March 27, 2023 at 8:00 pm
The decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann, who ordered the department of cooperatives to give an interest waiver to the farmers on the crop loan taken before wheat ...
- Special 'Girdawari' To Assess Crop Loss Due To Rains Be Completed Within Week: Punjab CM Mann To Officialson March 27, 2023 at 3:19 pm
The chief minister said he met affected farmers and saw that there was damage to crops especially wheat in villages of Moga, Muktsar, Bathinda and Patiala. The standing wheat crop has flattened at ...
- Crop loss: Punjab CM freezes repayment of farm loanson March 27, 2023 at 7:30 am
Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Monday announced the freeze of repayment of loans given to the farmers by primary agricultural cooperative societies. An official spokesperson said the CM has ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”crop losses” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]