Removing one of the tiniest organs in the body has shown to provide effective treatment for high blood pressure.
The carotid body — a small nodule (no larger than a rice grain) found on the side of each carotid artery — appears to be a major culprit in the development and regulation of high blood pressure.
Researchers, led by Professor Julian Paton, found that by removing the carotid body connection to the brain in rodents with high blood pressure, blood pressure fell and remained low.
Professor Paton, from Bristol’s School of Physiology and Pharmacology, said: “We knew that these tiny organs behaved differently in conditions of hypertension but had absolutely no idea that they contributed so massively to the generation of high blood pressure; this is really most exciting.”
Normally, the carotid body acts to regulate the amount of oxygen and carbon-dioxide in the blood. They are stimulated when oxygen levels fall in your blood as occurs when you hold your breath. This causes a dramatic increase in breathing and blood pressure until blood oxygen levels are restored. This response comes about through a nervous connection between the carotid body and the brain.
Professor Paton commented: “Despite its small size the carotid body has the highest blood flow of any organ in the body. Its influence on blood pressure likely reflects the priority of protecting the brain with enough blood flow.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Biden Signs Police Reform Order on Floyd Death Anniversaryon May 25, 2022 at 5:53 pm
President Joe Biden on Wednesday signed an executive order that he said would bring more accountability and effectiveness to policing and c ...
- How did Casey Chadwick die? Medical examiner testifies in Norwich woman's murder retrialon May 25, 2022 at 1:31 am
Murdered Norwich resident Casey Chadwick suffered 19 stab and cutting wounds before her death, a medical examiner testified.
- High IL-6 Levels Linked to Carotid Plaque Severity, Progressionon May 18, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Increased circulating levels of interleukin 6 are linked to increased carotid plaque severity and progression, say researchers who also identified a way to select patients for anti-IL-6 therapy.
- 2016 Medtech Company of the Year Finalists: CVRxon May 4, 2022 at 5:01 pm
found on the carotid artery and in the carotid sinus in the neck. Electrically stimulating the body's baroreflex "triggers the body's own natural blood flow regulation system" to treat high blood ...
- Imaging of Aortic Arch Anomalies and Associated Findingson May 4, 2022 at 5:01 pm
The first branch is the right carotid and does not classify as a RAA ... In patients with larger body habitus, cMRI may be the first test. In neonatal coarctation, the suprasternal sagittal ...
- Diets high in protein, zinc and vitamin B3 boost heart health, study findson May 2, 2022 at 5:00 pm
These latter two measures assess the thickness of the carotid artery ... After one year on the diet and exercise plan, participants' body mass index -- a measure of body weight against height ...
- Molina charged in stabbing, beating death of homeless womanon April 28, 2022 at 4:15 am
Miranda had been stabbed once in the neck - a wound that impacted the carotid artery and lungs - and her body held several cuts and a bruised shoulder, according to court documents. Two cuts ...
- NYC mother stabbed nearly 60 times before body found in duffel bag: Reporton April 18, 2022 at 3:53 pm
The autopsy reportedly revealed that Gaal had puncture wounds to her carotid artery and trachea as well as inside the palms of her hands. The body of Gaal, a stay-at-home mother of two ...
- Slain mum Orsolya Gaal, whose body was found in duffel bag, was stabbed 60 timeson April 18, 2022 at 10:51 am
Puncture wounds were discovered on her carotid artery and trachea ... 9/Facebook. The mum’s body was found in a duffel bag. Picture: orsolya.gaal.9/Facebook. It did not immediately appear ...
- Queens mom Orsolya Gaal was stabbed nearly 60 times: police sourceson April 18, 2022 at 8:58 am
Puncture wounds were discovered on her carotid artery and trachea ... was seen being taken away in handcuffs shortly after the body was found. Police sources said the teenager was questioned ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
High blood pressure
- Dear Doctor: Can a low oxalate diet help with high blood pressure?on May 25, 2022 at 6:00 am
My blood pressure crept up on me, and I went on medication. I had been eating what I thought was a healthy diet to keep my blood pressure in check. My nutritionist suggested to me I back off my ...
- Ask the Expert: High blood pressure is the silent killeron May 24, 2022 at 3:02 am
High blood pressure is when your blood pressure, the force of your blood pushing against the walls of your blood vessels, is consistently too high. The primary way that high blood pressure causes harm ...
- GFR, ABI, High Blood Pressure Associated With Poor Prognosis in Patients With CKDon May 23, 2022 at 9:40 am
A recent study found that patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) had a poor prognosis based on glomerular filtration rate (GFR), ankle-brachial index (ABI), and high systolic blood pressure in a ...
- What it means to have high blood pressureon May 20, 2022 at 9:45 pm
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service recognizes National High Blood Pressure Awareness Month. Blood pressure is a term we hear at our doctor’s office, but understanding what it is and how ...
- Diabetes-Friendly Meal Plan for High Blood Pressureon May 20, 2022 at 2:07 pm
This easy meal plan for diabetes will help you lower your blood pressure while keeping your blood sugars in check—all while eating deliciously.
- High blood pressure, family history can put a person at risk for strokeon May 19, 2022 at 1:00 pm
May is Stroke Awareness Month, and KTBS 3 is committed to keeping you informed on the causes of stroke and how you can protect yourself.
- High-fat diet induces high blood pressure in rat kidneyson May 19, 2022 at 6:49 am
A high-fat diet after 16 weeks induced hypertension in rats, according to researchers from Henry Ford Health and Wayne State University in Detroit. High blood pressure can lead to narrowing of the ...
- High blood pressure control with diet and lifestyleon May 19, 2022 at 5:25 am
After the second and third waves of the COVID-19 pandemic, many younger patients between 30-50 years of age are presenting with vague chest discomfort, palpitations, uneasiness, and shortness of ...
- AHA News: High blood pressure disorders in pregnancy doubled in 12 yearson May 18, 2022 at 12:05 pm
The rate of pregnancy-related high blood pressure disorders doubled in the U.S. between 2007 and 2019, according to new research.
- Rate of high blood pressure disorders in pregnancy doubled in 12 yearson May 18, 2022 at 10:27 am
The rate of pregnancy-related high blood pressure disorders doubled in the U.S. between 2007 and 2019, according to new research that finds 1 in 5 births now results in such a disorder, a preterm ...