Automotive technology: Electric and hybrid cars are being given a run for their money by an unlikely competitor: a range of advanced diesel engines that set new standards in performance and fuel economy
TESLA MOTORS has had great success with its Model S luxury electric car, which has outsold its petrol-powered equivalents since being launched in America last year. Even so, the prospects for battery-powered vehicles generally may never shine quite as bright again. Having had their day in the sun, they may soon be eclipsed by, wait for it, the diesel engine.
American readers will find this idea particularly hard to swallow. Surely not that dirty, noisy, smelly, lumbering lump of a motor that was hard to start in winter? Certainly not. A whole new generation of sprightly diesels—developed over the past few years—bear no resemblance to the clattering Oldsmobile 4.3-litre diesel of the late 1970s, which single-handedly destroyed diesel’s reputation in America for decades.
Later this year Americans will get their first chance to experience what a really advanced diesel is like—and why Europeans opt for diesels over hybrids, plug-in electrics and even petrol-powered cars. The leader of the new pack is the Mazda 6, with the choice of either a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine or a 2.2-litre turbo-charged diesel. The diesel has more than 30% better fuel economy and provides oodles more pulling power. Good as the petrol version is, motorists who choose it over the diesel will miss out on a lot. And Mazda is not the only carmaker with an advanced diesel in the works. Among others, Mitsubishi Motors has been selling cars with a new generation of 1.8-litre and 2.2-litre diesel engines in Europe since 2010. Hedging its bets on hybrids, Toyota has also been testing several radically new diesel designs.
What marks this latest generation of diesel engines from even their “common-rail” predecessors of the late 1990s, let alone their belching ancestors from the 1970s, is the use of a surprisingly low compression ratio of around 14:1 rather than the more usual 16:1 or higher. The reduction in cylinder pressure may sound marginal, but it gives rise to a virtuous cycle of beneficial effects that were previously unavailable.
For a start, the lower cylinder pressure reduces thermal and mechanical stresses in the engine. As a result, the heavy cast-iron block traditionally needed to stop a diesel ripping itself apart can be replaced with a lighter aluminium casting. That trims 25kg (55lb) off the weight of the block of the new Mazda diesel. Lower cylinder pressures mean that pistons, rings, valves, crankshaft and other engine parts can also be made 25% lighter. And because they are weighed down less by the engine, the vehicle’s brakes, suspension and bodywork do not need to be quite so rugged either. All these weight savings translate into greater efficiency. According to Ricardo, an engineering consultancy, every 10% reduction in a family car’s weight boosts its fuel economy by more than 4%.
Another benefit of lower cylinder pressure is that the lighter moving parts in the engine generate less internal friction—improving efficiency still further. And having less inertia, they allow the engine to spin faster and more freely, which also boosts efficiency. Mazda’s new “Skyactiv-D” engine can reach 5,200 revolutions per minute, a figure previously unheard of among road-going diesels. All told, the improvement in engine efficiency more than compensates for any loss of power caused by reducing the diesel’s compression ratio. As it is, diesels start off by being 30-35% more efficient than petrol engines. The new low-compression diesels are likely to be even more so.
There are benefits on the emissions side as well.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Police Scotland’s rapid response fleet decimated over fears car engines will EXPLODE at high speeds, insiders revealon August 22, 2021 at 3:07 pm
POLICE Scotland’s high-speed road response fleet has been decimated over concerns car engines will erupt in a fireball, insiders have revealed. Some 130 BMW models are understood to be barred from ...
- Engines roll at the 4th annual Veteran’s Memorial Car Showon August 22, 2021 at 2:30 pm
Car fans from around Siouxland came out to the Monona County fairgrounds Sunday to show off and check out all kinds of cars at the 4th annual Veteran's Memorial Car Show. Half of the proceeds from the ...
- Mercedes will still provide V8 engines to Aston Martinon August 20, 2021 at 12:24 pm
News of Mercedes V8 models being suspended for 2022 also brings into question Aston Martin's supply of AMG V8 engines.
- Are two engines better than one? In 1907, Howard Carter thought soon August 19, 2021 at 12:40 pm
Carter’s side-by-side four-cylinder, air-cooled engines could be used individually or in conjunction, preventing the driver from becoming stranded.
- The Global Diesel Engine Market is expected to grow by $ 38.46 bn during 2021-2025, decelerating at a CAGR of almost 4% during the forecast periodon August 18, 2021 at 3:13 pm
The analyst has been monitoring the diesel engine market and it is poised to grow by $ 38. 46 bn during 2021-2025, decelerating at a CAGR of almost 4% during the forecast period.New York, Aug. 18, ...
- EdgeQ samples SoC for 5G and AI inference engineson August 18, 2021 at 12:00 pm
EdgeQ is sampling a system-on-chip for 5G networks that reduces costs by running AI inference engines at the edge.
- Railroad Diesel Engine Oil Market Size, Status and Forecast 2021-2027on August 17, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Assess aftermarket trends and their potential impact to derive implications for suppliers in Worldwide Railroad Diesel Engine Oil industry. If you are a Worldwide Railroad Diesel Engine Oil ...
- How Do Search Engines Work? Crawling, Indexing, and Rankingon August 17, 2021 at 6:30 am
Before Google, there was Ask Jeeves – the well-dressed, always smiling gentleman who was always ready to answer your ...
- How Search Engines Use Machine Learning: 9 Things We Know For Sureon August 17, 2021 at 3:47 am
We know that search engines are using machine learning in these 9 ways. Here’s what it means for SEO and digital marketing.
- Global Automotive Diesel Engine Market growth graph to witness upward trajectory during 2021-2027on August 17, 2021 at 1:12 am
Global Automotive Diesel Engine Market Registers Significant Growth Rate During The Forecast Period. Market Research Store publishes a report entitled the global Automotive Diesel ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Advanced diesel engines
- How does the Hyundai Alcazar Diesel perform with 6 people on boardon August 22, 2021 at 3:05 am
Hyundai Alcazar is offered with both petrol and diesel engine options. Here we have a video that shows how Hyundai Alcazar diesel performs with a 6 people in it.
- New Petron dieselon August 20, 2021 at 4:50 am
The fuel is developed to comply with the more stringent requirements for Euro 5 diesel and is specially formulated with an advanced additive system ... maximising an engine’s efficiency. This will ...
- Samsung Heavy’s ammonia developments advanceon August 20, 2021 at 1:20 am
Class society DNV has awarded an approval in principle (AiP) to Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) for a fuel ready concept for a VLCC with dual fuel diesel/ammonia as a potential fuel combination after ...
- Petron'a cleaner-burning Euro5 diesel now availableon August 18, 2021 at 2:31 am
Diesel vehicle owners can now enjoy the benefits of Petron’s Diesel Max Euro 5 with TriAction Advantage. The fuel is developed to comply with the more stringent requirements for Euro 5 diesel and is ...
- 640 jobs to be safeguarded in Darlington through project to develop carbon-free hydrogen engineon August 18, 2021 at 12:55 am
The Brunel Project will develop a hydrogen engine which will replace existing large diesel engines used in road haulage ...
- Honda Amaze 2021 with 1.2L i-VTEC petrol, 1.5L i-DTEC diesel engine launched in Indiaon August 18, 2021 at 12:12 am
Honda Amaze is powered by Honda’s well acclaimed 1.2L i-VTEC petrol engine and 1.5L i-DTEC diesel engine in both Manual and CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) variants.
- £14m project to develop carbon-free hydrogen engine in Darlington will safeguard 640 jobson August 17, 2021 at 4:01 pm
A new zero emissions hydrogen engine is to be developed in Darlington after funding of £14.6m was awarded to a project to replace diesel engines in heavy goods vehicles. The Brunel Project, led by ...
- Outlook on the Gas Engine Global Market to 2028 - by Fuel Type, Power Output, End-user and Geographyon August 17, 2021 at 12:15 pm
The "Gas Engine Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Fuel Type, Power Output, and End-User" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- The Worldwide Gas Engine Industry is Expected to Reach $6.3+ Billion by 2028 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon August 17, 2021 at 6:21 am
The “Gas Engine Market Forecast to 2028 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Fuel Type, Power Output, and End-User” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. The gas engine ...
- Mahindra XUV700 makes world premiere, packs segment-first advanced driver assistance systemson August 14, 2021 at 4:00 am
The Mahindra XUV700 will be available in both five- and seven-seat forms, and will be offered with a choice of turbocharged petrol and diesel engines.