Automotive technology: Electric and hybrid cars are being given a run for their money by an unlikely competitor: a range of advanced diesel engines that set new standards in performance and fuel economy
TESLA MOTORS has had great success with its Model S luxury electric car, which has outsold its petrol-powered equivalents since being launched in America last year. Even so, the prospects for battery-powered vehicles generally may never shine quite as bright again. Having had their day in the sun, they may soon be eclipsed by, wait for it, the diesel engine.
American readers will find this idea particularly hard to swallow. Surely not that dirty, noisy, smelly, lumbering lump of a motor that was hard to start in winter? Certainly not. A whole new generation of sprightly diesels—developed over the past few years—bear no resemblance to the clattering Oldsmobile 4.3-litre diesel of the late 1970s, which single-handedly destroyed diesel’s reputation in America for decades.
Later this year Americans will get their first chance to experience what a really advanced diesel is like—and why Europeans opt for diesels over hybrids, plug-in electrics and even petrol-powered cars. The leader of the new pack is the Mazda 6, with the choice of either a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine or a 2.2-litre turbo-charged diesel. The diesel has more than 30% better fuel economy and provides oodles more pulling power. Good as the petrol version is, motorists who choose it over the diesel will miss out on a lot. And Mazda is not the only carmaker with an advanced diesel in the works. Among others, Mitsubishi Motors has been selling cars with a new generation of 1.8-litre and 2.2-litre diesel engines in Europe since 2010. Hedging its bets on hybrids, Toyota has also been testing several radically new diesel designs.
What marks this latest generation of diesel engines from even their “common-rail” predecessors of the late 1990s, let alone their belching ancestors from the 1970s, is the use of a surprisingly low compression ratio of around 14:1 rather than the more usual 16:1 or higher. The reduction in cylinder pressure may sound marginal, but it gives rise to a virtuous cycle of beneficial effects that were previously unavailable.
For a start, the lower cylinder pressure reduces thermal and mechanical stresses in the engine. As a result, the heavy cast-iron block traditionally needed to stop a diesel ripping itself apart can be replaced with a lighter aluminium casting. That trims 25kg (55lb) off the weight of the block of the new Mazda diesel. Lower cylinder pressures mean that pistons, rings, valves, crankshaft and other engine parts can also be made 25% lighter. And because they are weighed down less by the engine, the vehicle’s brakes, suspension and bodywork do not need to be quite so rugged either. All these weight savings translate into greater efficiency. According to Ricardo, an engineering consultancy, every 10% reduction in a family car’s weight boosts its fuel economy by more than 4%.
Another benefit of lower cylinder pressure is that the lighter moving parts in the engine generate less internal friction—improving efficiency still further. And having less inertia, they allow the engine to spin faster and more freely, which also boosts efficiency. Mazda’s new “Skyactiv-D” engine can reach 5,200 revolutions per minute, a figure previously unheard of among road-going diesels. All told, the improvement in engine efficiency more than compensates for any loss of power caused by reducing the diesel’s compression ratio. As it is, diesels start off by being 30-35% more efficient than petrol engines. The new low-compression diesels are likely to be even more so.
There are benefits on the emissions side as well.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Small Gas Engines Market Shares And Statistics, Challenges | Key Business Strategies, Demand And Forecast By 2031on August 3, 2022 at 3:53 am
Small Gas Engines Market Business Strategies with Major Key Players ( Briggs and Straton, Subaru, Liquid Combustion Technology, Yamaha )
- British Boxer MIVs to get more powerful engineson August 3, 2022 at 3:49 am
British Army Boxer MIVs will be equipped with more powerful engines after Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL) and WFEL selected Rolls-Royce Solutions UK to supply MTU 8v 199 TS21 engines. British Army ...
- REX To Test Airplane Electric Engines On Short Routes In 2024on August 3, 2022 at 3:13 am
Rex will test the use of planes with retrofitted electric engines on short regional flights of less than an hour.
- Maserati Launches New 10-Year Warranty For Its Engines And Transmissionson August 3, 2022 at 2:37 am
The Extra10 Warranty Program is available for all new Maserati models and will be οffered in the U.S., Canada, and Latin America starting from October 1st, 2022 ...
- Rolls Royce picked to supply MTU engines for Boxeron August 3, 2022 at 1:46 am
WFEL and Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL) have selected Rolls Royce to supply their MTU engine for the British Army’s new Boxer Armoured vehicles.
- The Goldman Sachs Group Reiterates “€223.00” Price Target for MTU Aero Engines (ETR:MTX)on August 3, 2022 at 1:16 am
The Goldman Sachs Group set a €223.00 ($229.90) price target on MTU Aero Engines (ETR:MTX – Get Rating) in a report published on Tuesday, Borsen Zeitung reports. A number of other equities analysts ...
- MTU Aero Engines (ETR:MTX) PT Set at €232.00 by Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschafton August 3, 2022 at 1:16 am
Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft set a €232.00 ($239.18) target price on MTU Aero Engines (ETR:MTX – Get Rating) in a report released on Tuesday, Borsen Zeitung reports. MTX has been the topic of a ...
- UBER Stock Just Revved Its Engines. Here’s What Comes Next.on August 2, 2022 at 3:40 pm
Uber has reported impressive earnings for Q2 2022. Here's why expects think UBER stock is a name to watch in the months ahead.
- Amid Rising Environmental Concerns, Gas Engines Market to Grow to US$ 7.47 Billion by 2032 | Future Market Insights, Inc.on August 1, 2022 at 7:30 am
The largest share of the gas engines market in 2021 was held by the utilities segment. The power produced by utilities can power local facilities or exported to local electricity grids. Utilities ...
- The Pros And Cons Of Pushrod Engines Explainedon July 31, 2022 at 5:00 am
Many people may refer to them as “archaic” and “obsolete,” especially given alternative designs for engines that have been created since the pushrod engine was designed, such as the straight-six ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Advanced diesel engines
- Strong Hybrid Takes Lion’s Share Of Advance Bookings For The Maruti Grand Vitara And Toyota Hyryderon August 3, 2022 at 2:05 am
The upcoming strong-hybrid SUVs from Maruti and Toyota debuted in July and pre-orders are currently open for both. Prices of the Maruti Grand Vitara and Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder will be announced ...
- Ministry holds road test for B40-fueled diesel engine vehicleson July 27, 2022 at 11:26 am
Ministry on Wednesday conducted a road test for diesel engine vehicles operating on Biodiesel 40 (B40), which contains ...
- The main differences between the Tiguan diesel/gasoline and the ID.3, ID.4 serieson July 26, 2022 at 3:00 am
The VW Tiguan is a luxury SUV family car. The best part about this luxury SUV is that it boasts the capacity to hold third-row seating. This gives it a distinction in its class which makes it very ...
- Diesel Engine Filter Market Size 2022, Share, Growth with Recent Trends, Development, Revenue, Demand and Forecast to 2028on July 25, 2022 at 11:10 pm
Global “ Diesel Engine Filter Market ” Report is an In-Depth Analysis of the Latest Developments, Market Size, Status, upcoming technologies, industry drivers, challenges, regulatory policies, with ...
- 10 Volkswagen Diesel Cars Every Gearhead Should Driveon July 24, 2022 at 7:30 pm
All scandals aside, Volkswagen produced several incredible diesel-powered cars with surprisingly fun performance.
- The News of the Internal Combustion Engine’s Demise May Be Exaggeratedon July 22, 2022 at 8:00 am
At the Low net-GHG Fuel and Engine Technologies Symposium at the University of Wisconsin in June, researchers noted that the life of familiar internal combustion engines may be extended. This will ...
- Despite push for green transportation, trucking still drives on dieselon July 22, 2022 at 3:47 am
Getting to net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 means we must aggressively cut down the largest source of emissions: the transportation sector,” Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm said in April ...
- Petrol or diesel, which engine will serve you best?on July 13, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Diesel engines inject a mixture of air and diesel ... but have been progressively “levelled up” by advanced technology and design. Traditionally, and still residually, petrol engines were ...
- New Analysis Shows How Diesel, Natural Gas, Electric and Gasoline Power the Nation’s Commercial Truck, Transit and School Bus Fleetson July 13, 2022 at 3:34 am
With today’s advanced diesel technology achieving near ... to raising awareness about the current and future role of diesel engines, equipment, and fuels. Forum members are leaders in advanced ...
- Diesel Power Engine Market Size, Share, Growth And Trends, Forecast To 2031on July 11, 2022 at 9:41 am
Diesel engines of this power rating are used in large ... IT & telecom, chemicals and advanced materials, consumer goods & food, energy & power, manufacturing & construction, industrial automation ...