The Occupy Movement recently celebrated its second anniversary with very little fanfare leaving many to wonder where all the activists went.
It seems they, and many anti-establishment activists, are vacating the system rather than occupying it.
Progressives may call it the “sharing economy” while Libertarians may refer to it as Agorism – a “society in which all relations between people are voluntary exchanges by means of counter-economics, thus engaging in a manner with aspects of peaceful revolution.”
Whatever it’s called, together, they’re opting out of the current socioeconomic matrix and creating a new alternative economy where trading occurs peer-to-peer and increasingly without government-issued currency.
It’s a space where mutual trade occurs without burdensome taxes, regulations, or licenses. Simply put, it’s an underground black market enabled by the Internet and regulated by social feedback mechanisms — and it’s growing exponentially.
Websites like Ebay and Craigslist first made it possible for individuals to sell things or offer services online. Then there was Elance to sell our skills and Freecycle to recycle unused items. And now there are new services that allow users to sublet their stuff; like AirBnB which allows you to rent out a room in your house, Lyft for car pooling or Relay Rides to rent out your car for an hour, or Snap Goods to rent out idle tools or anything else.
In addition to “sharing” stuff, people are shunning banks by using crowdfunding and peer-to-peer lending platforms for raising capital, and digital currencies like Bitcoin are enabling the under-the-table sale of a swelling number of goods and services.
It’s also important to acknowledge the growth of passionate silver barterers and the explosion of local food co-ops, which should be considered part of the same movement to opt out of the broken corporate-government system and they’re similarly expanding due to the internet. Local Harvestallows small farmers to sell blueberry pies nationwide or pair up with local customers for cowshares or farmshares.
The Economist describes this movement as follows:
Just as peer-to-peer businesses like eBay allow anyone to become a retailer, sharing sites let individuals act as an ad hoc taxi service, car-hire firm or boutique hotel as and when it suits them. Just go online or download an app. The model works for items that are expensive to buy and are widely owned by people who do not make full use of them.
Tarun Wadhwa of the Singularity Hub writes “The growth of the “sharing economy,” a loosely defined term generally referring to the internet-enabled peer-to-peer exchanges of goods, has brought with it a shift in the way we think about consumption. Its rise has been fast, and loud. What started with a few enterprising individuals willing to let complete strangers sleep in their homes and use their possessions has now developed into a formidable economic force that threatens to upend several different industries.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- ReSuit Helps Reduce Carbon Emissions Through A Peer-To-Peer Clothing Rental Platformon September 21, 2023 at 10:31 am
Through the sharing economy, people are able to appropriate more money for fun-filled activities rather than materialistic items. ReSuit is a peer-to-peer platform that allows people to rent or sell ...
- What Will It Take For CEOs To Bring Their Zeal For Comparability In CEO Compensation To Financial Reporting?on September 21, 2023 at 9:23 am
An investor will struggle to compare the performance of Coca Cola and Pepsi. Why not ask firm A to report its numbers using the same disclosure practices as peer firm B?
- Peer-to-Peer Accommodation Market Size, Forecasting Share and Scope for 2023-2030on September 14, 2023 at 10:46 am
"Peer-to-Peer Accommodation Market" Size ... todays businesses with multifaceted advantages resulting in daily economic shifts. Thus, it is very important for a company to comprehend the patterns ...
- Boris Johnson made to ‘look like chump’ as peer he appointed shuns Torieson September 13, 2023 at 3:32 am
A peer appointed by Boris Johnson in his controversial resignation honours list has snubbed the Tory party by sitting as an independent in the House of Lords. Dan Rosenfield, Mr Johnson’s former chief ...
- Peach Bitcoin Upgrades Peer-to-Peer Trading Experienceon September 6, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Peach Bitcoin's key features include the fastest peer-to-peer bitcoin trading in ... on the transformative forces shaping the global economy, delivered every Thursday.
- Instructions for peer reviewerson August 28, 2023 at 2:42 am
Peer review is the foundation of quality in research for both ... A new Editorial Board has taken over the National Institute Economic Review with the aim of placing the journal as a reference outlet ...
- Peer-to-peer property lending provides a space for responsible, impactful investmenton August 23, 2023 at 8:13 am
But after the economic crash of 2007-08 ... But increasingly prominent are those who operate a peer-to-peer, or P2P, model, whereby individuals looking to borrow can obtain loans directly from ...
- Peer review’s simply a sham, reversing the economic backslide and other commentaryon August 13, 2023 at 2:04 pm
In practice, peer review has become less a means of challenging papers than a way of keeping out heretics while waving through true believers.” “China’s flagging economic performance is a ...
- Veilid: A secure peer-to-peer network for apps that flips off the surveillance economyon August 11, 2023 at 5:18 pm
Veilid provides code for app developers to drop into their software so that their clients can join and communicate in a peer-to-peer community. In a DEF CON presentation today, Katelyn "medus4 ...
- The Political Economy of Education Research (PEER) Networkon February 10, 2021 at 9:18 pm
The PEER Network is a three-year initiative led by four universities (Ulster, Cape Town, Nazarbayev and Sussex) aimed at improving the quality of Political Economy Analysis of education in partnership ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Peer-to-Peer Economy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- REALLY Joins Forces with T-Mobile to Bring Sharing Economy to Telecomon September 21, 2023 at 7:02 am
In anticipation of its launch, REALLY has begun deployment of its decentralized wireless mobile network and is now rapidly covering the population of Austin. Wireless subscribers will be able to use ...
- Sharing Economy Market Size ($ 793680.0 Billion by 2031 at CAGR of 32.01% CAGR) - which is Booming Strong Growth in the Globe till 2031on September 20, 2023 at 2:10 am
Sharing Economy Market” with analysis of such parameters i.e. industry growth drivers, supply and demand, risks, market attractiveness, annual growth comparison, BPS analysis, SWOT analysis and Porter ...
- Sharing Economy International Inc.on September 15, 2023 at 10:10 am
1 Day SEII 0.00% DJIA -0.74% Russell 2K -0.33% Industrial Goods 0.40% ...
- Airbnb regulation on both sides of the pond: the end for the sharing economy?on September 15, 2023 at 5:03 am
Airbnb regulation on both sides of the pond: the end for the sharing economy? was originally created and published by Hotel Management Network, a GlobalData owned brand.
- Sharing Economy Market Analysis Research Report [2023-2030] | 120 Pageson September 13, 2023 at 10:21 am
360 Research Reports has published a new report titled as "Sharing Economy Market" by End User (Traffic, Electronic, Accommodation, Food and Beverage, Tourism, Education, Others), Types (TYPE1 ...
- Behind China's booming sharing economyon September 10, 2023 at 5:38 am
Last year more than 600 million people used a sharing service. Ben Tracy reports. A recent study found that more than 55 million Americans will use a sharing economy service like Uber or Airbnb at ...
- The U.S. Moneyless Economy Is Boomingon September 7, 2023 at 10:29 am
The free and shared goods economy is creating community resilience and alternatives to trash culture for millions of people.
- Sharing Economy Market Size 2023 Booming Worldwide by 2031on September 6, 2023 at 1:13 pm
Global "Sharing Economy Market" surveys the evolving technology industry and the responses of both established and emerging players to long-term opportunities and short-term challenges.
- Todos os artigos de Sharing economyon September 5, 2023 at 9:32 pm
It is important to take serious the increasing risk of those who work but remain in poverty. When the population feels that it is losing even if it respects the rules of the game, populism increases.
- Why Americans Love the Sharing Economyon September 3, 2023 at 5:00 pm
Editor’s Note: The following is an adapted excerpt from the author’s monograph Uber-Positive: Why Americans Love the Sharing Economy. The widespread benefits of ride-sharing companies such as ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”sharing economy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]