Commonopoly asks: What if the goal of the game wasn’t to crush other players under the boot heel of capitalist greed?
A now-defunct German art collective that went by the name of Big Hope has revolutionized the Monopoly board, making the goals less about accruing wealth and more about collective benefit, and called it “Commonopoly.” The new game, designed by Miklos Erhardt, Dominic Hislop, and Elske Rosenfeld in 2004, arranges things so that no one player is the banker, and they all have to collaborate on their moves.
“Unlike Monopoly, the goal of Commonopoly is not the exhaustion, through monopolization, of a virtual stock of goods, but rather the expansion and preservation of a self-propelling sustainable system of recycling, production and distribution,” the creators write.
Commonopoly, which has recently resurfaced in a couple of places online, demands that players brainstorm alternative economic systems through activities placed around the board. The players move counter clockwise, as per the instructions, and subsequent creative acts are to be documented in booklets later distributed to the public. Much of the game focuses on coming up with ideas for public spaces (in Taipei or elsewhere), as well as sharing home remedies for common ailments. You have to applaud the game’s Marxist kitsch, and maybe even the prescient, proto-Zuccotti Park flair.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Alternative economic systems
- Global Desalination Technologies Market Report 2021: Fresh Water Scarcity Triggers a Desperate Search for Alternatives - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 19, 2021 at 3:54 am
The "Desalination Technologies - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Fresh Water Scarcity Triggers a Desperate Search for Alternatives.
- Can alternative medicine systems like Ayurveda be tapped to fight Covid-19?on April 19, 2021 at 1:35 am
Even though Covid-19 vaccination is in full swing, the pandemic continues to affect a huge population, severely affecting the countrys economic and social fabric. There are many who recommend tapping ...
- Want A Recession-Proof Industry? Consider Alternative Financeon April 18, 2021 at 1:48 pm
It’s a dog-eat-dog world -- even more so in the toughest economy since World War II. Even “safe” industries like education aren’t providing ...
- Capito, GOP preparing alternative infrastructure plan to White House proposalon April 15, 2021 at 6:23 pm
W.Va., and Republican colleagues spoke about a conceptual infrastructure proposal to counter President Joe Biden's $2.3 trillion plan.
- Gov. Evers spotlights justice system reformon April 15, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Gov. Tony Evers took time Thursday to highlight the continued efforts to reform the state’s justice system. Evers stopped in La Crosse to talk about Treatment Alternatives and Diversion (TAD) ...
- Global Austerity Alert: Looming Budget Cuts in 2021-25 and Alternativeson April 15, 2021 at 5:29 am
Ministers of Finance met virtually at the Spring Meetings of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank to discuss policies to tackle the pandemic and socio-economic recovery. But a ...
- Alternative carbon price trajectories can avoid excessive carbon removalon April 15, 2021 at 2:36 am
Many trajectories for reaching climate change mitigation targets exaggerate the long-term need for CO2 removal (CDR) because they assume an exponentially increasing carbon price. Here the authors ...
- The Growth-By-Deregulation Alternative To Joe Biden’s Cyclopean American Jobs Planon April 12, 2021 at 4:12 pm
The same capitalism vital to day-to-day wealth creation is even more important at grand scales in a modern technological society. A superior posture from which to boost infrastructure would entail ...
- Russia working towards stopping to use West-controlled payment systems — Lavrovon April 12, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Russian Foreign Minister stressed that Russia’s position concerning Washington’s sanction policy remained unchanged ...
- The Coming Disruption: The Global Alternative Energy Megatrendon March 31, 2021 at 5:00 pm
In his new book, “The Prologue: The Alternative Energy Megatrend in ... these new technologies can “help stabilize the global economic system, create and sustain new sources of economic ...