Commonopoly asks: What if the goal of the game wasn’t to crush other players under the boot heel of capitalist greed?
A now-defunct German art collective that went by the name of Big Hope has revolutionized the Monopoly board, making the goals less about accruing wealth and more about collective benefit, and called it “Commonopoly.” The new game, designed by Miklos Erhardt, Dominic Hislop, and Elske Rosenfeld in 2004, arranges things so that no one player is the banker, and they all have to collaborate on their moves.
“Unlike Monopoly, the goal of Commonopoly is not the exhaustion, through monopolization, of a virtual stock of goods, but rather the expansion and preservation of a self-propelling sustainable system of recycling, production and distribution,” the creators write.
Commonopoly, which has recently resurfaced in a couple of places online, demands that players brainstorm alternative economic systems through activities placed around the board. The players move counter clockwise, as per the instructions, and subsequent creative acts are to be documented in booklets later distributed to the public. Much of the game focuses on coming up with ideas for public spaces (in Taipei or elsewhere), as well as sharing home remedies for common ailments. You have to applaud the game’s Marxist kitsch, and maybe even the prescient, proto-Zuccotti Park flair.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Alternative economic systems
- Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotlandon October 14, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is set to come to Scotland to hold an “alternative Cop26 ... rapid change to our dangerously broken and destructive political and economic system Jeremy Corbyn “The ...
- New Financial Programs Want to Address Economic Inequity in Underserved Communitieson October 14, 2021 at 1:08 pm
New banks, services and programs hope to democratize banking and reduce banking system discrimination in communities of color.
- Cryptoization threatens global economic stability warns IMFon October 13, 2021 at 3:31 am
The IMF has said the adoption of crypto currencies as the main national currency carries “significant risks and is an The post Cryptoization threatens global economic stability warns IMF appeared ...
- The Global Tax System Is Broken. We Can’t Trust Rich Countries to Fix It.on October 11, 2021 at 12:34 pm
The world is finally recognizing the harms of corporate tax avoidance. But the OECD’s solution to the problem is designed by rich countries, for rich countries. We need an alternative.
- Webtel.mobi Describes Requirements for a Sector-Influencing System in USD 10 000+ Trillion P.A. Transaction-Volume Marketson October 11, 2021 at 4:00 am
WM provides details of some top-level considerations for creating a Global Exchange and Digital Currency in the USD 10 000+ Trillion Per Annum Transactions Markets – where it is a potential ...
- 22NW Fund Will No Longer Rely on the Alternative Monthly Reporting System with Respect to DIRTT Environmental Solutions Ltdon October 8, 2021 at 11:37 am
Seattle, Washington--(Newsfile Corp. - October 8, 2021) - 22NW, LP ("22NW") will cease to file reports in accordance with the alternative monthly reporting system under Part 4 of National ...
- What is Modern Monetary Theory? Understanding the alternative economic theory that's becoming more mainstreamon October 6, 2021 at 11:59 am
Modern Monetary Theory is an unconventional economic theory that states a government can create more money as the issuer of its own currency.
- China and the Third World: The construction of an alternative, more just world-systemon October 5, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Charles McKelvey explores the parallel trajectories – and recent convergence – of the projects for Third World liberation and Chinese socialist construction and concludes that the continuing and ...
- Against Cryptocurrency: The Ethical Argument for Bitcoin Maximalismon September 29, 2021 at 10:30 am
Taken one step further, if Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are indeed different types of economic systems ... to serve as a singular alternative to government monetary systems, particularly when ...
- How stock-market investors can tap into alternative data without breaking the bankon September 28, 2021 at 3:57 pm
have helped to usher in a wave of alternative sources that can be used to gain an investment edge. Kastle Systems offers weekly data on building occupancy that can help investors get a sense of ...