Light Shines Bright at Precise Frequencies that Suit Commercial Applications
Commercial uses for ultraviolet (UV) light are growing, and now a new kind of LED under development at The Ohio State University could lead to more portable and low-cost uses of the technology.
The patent-pending LED creates a more precise wavelength of UV light than today’s commercially available UV LEDs, and runs at much lower voltages and is more compact than other experimental methods for creating precise wavelength UV light.
The LED could lend itself to applications for chemical detection, disinfection, and UV curing. With significant further development, it might someday be able to provide a source for UV lasers for eye surgery and computer chip manufacture.
The unique design enabled the engineers to excite the rare earth metal by passing electricity through the nanowires, said study co-author Roberto Myers, associate professor of materials science and engineering at Ohio State. But his team didn’t set out to make a UV LED.
“As far as we know, nobody had ever driven electrons through gadolinium inside an LED before,” Myers said. “We just wanted to see what would happen.”
When doctoral students Thomas Kent and Santino Carnevale started creating gadolinium-containing LEDs in the lab, they utilized another patent-pending technology they had helped develop—one for creating nanowire LEDs. On a silicon wafer, they tailor the wires’ composition to tune the polarization of the wires and the wavelength, or color, of the light emitted by the LED.
Gadolinium was chosen not to make a good UV LED, but to carry out a simple experiment probing the basic properties of a new material they were studying, called gadolinium nitride. During the course of that original experiment, Kent noticed that sharp emission lines characteristic of the element gadolinium could be controlled with electric current.
Different elements fluoresce at different wavelengths when they are excited, and gadolinium fluoresces most strongly at a very precise wavelength in the UV, outside of the range of human vision. The engineers found that the gadolinium-doped wires glowed brightly at several specific UV frequencies.
Exciting different materials to generate light is nothing new, but materials that glow in UV are harder to excite. The only other reported device which can electrically control gadolinium light emission requires more than 250 volts to operate. The Ohio State team showed that in a nanowire LED structure, the same effect can occur, but at far lower operating voltages: around 10 volts. High voltage devices are difficult to miniaturize, making the nanowire LEDs attractive for portable applications.
“The other device needs high voltage because it pushes electrons through a vacuum and accelerates them, just like a cathode ray tube in an old-style TV. The high-energy electrons then slam into gadolinium atoms, which absorb the energy and re-emit it as light in the UV,” Myers explained.
“We believe our device works at significantly less voltage precisely because of the LED structure, where the gadolinium is placed in the center of the LED, exactly where electrons are losing their energy. The gadolinium atoms get excited and emit the same UV light, but the device only requires around 10 volts.”
Because the LED emits light at specific wavelengths, it could be useful for research spectroscopy applications that require a reference wavelength, and because it requires only 10 volts, it might be useful in portable devices.
The same technology could conceivably be used to make UV laser diodes. Currently high-powered gas lasers are used to produce a laser at UV wavelengths with applications from advanced electronics manufacturing to eye surgery. The so-called excimer lasers contain toxic gases and run on high voltages, so solid-state lasers are being explored as a lower power—and non-toxic—alternative.
As to cost, Kent pointed out that the team grows its LEDs on a standard silicon wafer, which is inexpensive and easily scaled up to use in industry.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rand Graphics Expands Fleet With New Koenig & Bauer Rapida 105 Six-Color Plus Coater UV-LED Presson October 14, 2021 at 6:28 am
Rand Graphics, a large format printer for the food, beverage, and retail industries, recently installed a Koenig & Bauer Rapida 105 UV-LED press. The new installation has increased efficiency, ...
- UV LED Market 2021 Through SWOT Analysis with Leading Players-Lumileds Holding BV, LG Innotek Co. Ltd, Nordson Corporationon October 13, 2021 at 3:29 am
Qualitative Analysis Of UV LED Market Revenue Industry Analysis By 2026 The UV LED market was valued at USD 348 9 million in 2020 and it is expected to reach USD 1044 709 million by 2026 registering a ...
- Rand Graphics Expands Fleet With New Koenig & Bauer Rapida 105 Six-Color Plus Coater LED-UV Presson October 13, 2021 at 3:08 am
Randy Vautravers, president of Rand Graphics; and Trey Holmes, plant manager; are pleased with the extra capacity, efficiency, and productivity gains with their newly-installed Rapida 105 six-color ...
- The UV-LED Board Evaluation Kit Arrives--Newest Addition to Family of Design Enablement Tools to Improve the Human Conditionon October 12, 2021 at 12:40 pm
Industrial Representatives, Inc., (IRI) announces today the newest addition to its suite of design enablement tools, a UV-LED evaluation driver board, which provides control and power regulation to a ...
- Do UV Wands Actually Kill Viruses, or Are They Snake Oil In The Digital Age?on October 12, 2021 at 2:12 am
Retail companies boast that UV lights can kill germs and viruses. But these handy devices may not live up to the hype.
- Global UV-LED for Water Purification Market 2021 Industry Manufacturing Size, Share, Business Insights, Key Challenges and Forecast Analysis by 2027on October 11, 2021 at 1:11 pm
Global UV-LED for Water Purification Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 study now available at MarketsandResearch.biz shed light on various market dimensions ...
- Global UV-LED for Sterilization Market 2021 Business Growth Rate, Manufacturing Analysis, Size, Share, Cost Structure and Forecast to 2027on October 11, 2021 at 1:11 pm
Another report named, Global UV-LED for Sterilization Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 has been added into its tremendous archive by MarketsandResearch.biz ...
- UV LED Printers Market Size, Growth and Key Manufacturers – EPSON, Canon, Durst, Fujifilm, EFI, MIMAKIon October 8, 2021 at 3:32 pm
The UV LED Printers Market is expected to surge at a steady CAGR in the coming years, states the latest Verified Market Research® report. The publication offers an insightful take on the historical ...
- UV LED Market Size Forecast to Reach $1.2 Billion by 2026on October 4, 2021 at 9:41 pm
(MENAFN- iCrowdNewsWire) UV LED Market is forecast to reach $1.2 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 20.3% from 2021 to 2026. The UV LED Market is estimated to witness a sustainable growth over ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
UV laser diodes
- Fiber Laser Market 2030 Industry Specifications and Outlook 2021on October 13, 2021 at 8:24 am
At an estimated value of USD 2 23 billion in 2020 the global fiber laser market is predicted to thrive at a CAGR of 14 51 to be valued at USD 8 42 billion by 2030 Fiber laser is an ...
- Vector Photonics To Speak At International Semiconductor Laser Conferenceon October 12, 2021 at 8:28 am
The ISLC conference is used by many photonics companies and academic organisations to launch ground-breaking, semiconductor developments, so it is eagerly awaited by the industry. The Vector Photonics ...
- LED Lightingon October 6, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Rohm has developed a 75W laser diode for lidar in automated guided vehicles, service robots and robot vacuum cleaners. “In recent years, lidar is being increasingly adopted to precisely measure ...
- Laser Charged Glowing Displayon October 2, 2021 at 5:00 pm
In this case a UV laser diode was used. This is perhaps the best possible source as its intensity will allow for very quick charging. The innovation here is the use of a second disk as a stencil.
- Laser Diode Market Value Projected to Expand during 2021-2031on September 30, 2021 at 10:51 pm
Pages Laser Diode Market Survey Report Provides Latest Trends and Drivers for 2021-2031 The increasing application of laser diodes in the telecom and healthcare industries is driving the global laser ...
- Role of Main Air Constituents in the Efficiency of GaN Nanostructureson September 30, 2021 at 5:01 pm
In ambient air, a 40× UV-enhanced High-Power MicroSpot objective with a working distance of 1 mm and a resulting laser spot size of roughly 2 μm was used. Wet environment measurements were taken by ...
- Fiber lasers Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Change To 2030on September 30, 2021 at 10:58 am
Major players in the fiber laser market are Amonics Ltd. , Apollo Instruments Inc. , Coherent Inc. , IPG Photonics Corporation and Jenoptik Laser GmbH. The global fiber lasers market is expected to ...
- FBH presents new diode laser and UV LED developments at the Photonics Dayson September 27, 2021 at 1:25 am
UV LEDs including the corresponding irradiation systems for medical applications, and quantum technologies. At the booth, FBH will show a diode laser stack optimized for high output powers and a ...
- Laser Diodes - May The Force Be With Youon September 18, 2021 at 10:53 pm
Laser diodes are used in a growing number of applications ... to identify molecules (261nm), treatment of psoriasis (272nm), UV curing, flow cytometry calcium detection (349nm) Blue-violet 405nm ...