How is it possible to walk through 3D virtual realities while staying in one place?
Engineers from the Vienna University of Technology have solved this problem and are now introducing their “Virtualizer”.
Head-mounted devices, which display three dimensional images according one’s viewing direction, allowing the users to lose themselves in computer generated worlds are already commercially available. However, it has not yet been possible to walk through these virtual realities, without at some point running into the very real walls of the room. A team of researchers at the Vienna University of Technology has now built a “Virtualizer”, which allows for an almost natural walk through virtual spaces. The user is fixated with a belt in a support frame, the feet glide across a low friction surface. Sensors pick up these movements and feed the data into the computer. The team hopes that the Virtualizer will enter the market in 2014.
Various ideas have been put forward on the digitalization of human motion. Markers can be attached to the body, which are then tracked with cameras – this is how motion capture for animated movies is achieved. For this, however, expensive equipment is needed, and the user is confined to a relatively small space. Prototypes using conveyor belts have not yet yielded satisfactory results.
Tuncay Cakmak, a student at TU Vienna, had a much better idea; when the feet slide across a smooth low-friction surface, almost natural walking movements are possible without in fact changing one’s position. Together with some other students and virtual reality expert Hannes Kaufmann (TU Vienna), he developed the “Virtualizer”.
In the Virtualizer’s metal frame, the user is kept in place with a belt. The smooth floor plate contains sensors, picking up every step. Rotations of the body are registered by the belt. “Coming to terms with the low friction takes a little bit of practice”, says Tuncay Cakmak, “but soon one can run across the smooth sensor plate quite naturally.”
Run, Look, Duck, Jump
The Virtualizer can be used with standard 3D headgear, which picks up the users viewing direction and displays 3D pictures accordingly. This is independent from the leg motion, therefore running into one direction and looking into another becomes possible.
The Latest Bing News on:
Revolutionize Gaming in Virtual Realities
- ASU faculty discuss equity and inclusion in STEM at virtual eventon January 19, 2021 at 4:58 pm
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University hosted a virtual screening and discussion of “Picture a Scientist” — a documentary film that chronicles the groundswell of ...
- Virtual Reality Slots: Opportunities and Threatson January 11, 2021 at 7:03 pm
A hallmark of the gambling industry has been its consistent ability to stay ahead of the curve in order to become as attractive as possible to the legions of gamblers ...
- Tech Experts Predict 13 Areas AI And VR Are Set To Revolutionizeon January 6, 2021 at 5:15 am
On its heels is virtual reality, which is gaining popularity across ... which are already making waves in the healthcare VR industry. Gaming will also lead the way with companies like Oculus ...
- Laughable Article Attacks Oculus Rift and Virtual Reality, “Total Immersion Technology Will Train Future Mass Murderers”on January 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The company, Oculus VR, is an immersion virtual reality firm now developing the Oculus Rift, “a ground-breaking virtual reality headset for immersive gaming,” according to the firm’s website.
- Virtual Reality Workouts Are Just What Your Fitness Rut Needson January 5, 2021 at 8:55 am
Jack into the VR matrix and burn calories with apps that feel more like games than grueling cardio cardio sessions. For many, however, virtual reality workouts sound more like something from a ...
- Jingle all the way: What will 2021 mean to the advertising world?on December 25, 2020 at 8:43 am
Live streaming related to gaming and sports is a huge advertising-friendly zone ... Browsable galleries, shoppable ads, carousels, TV-to-Mobile elements, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), ...
- How 5G Is Fueling the Internet of Things to Build a More Resilient Worldon November 6, 2020 at 9:14 am
“It's a unifying connectivity fabric that’s going to connect virtually everything,” says John Smee, VP of Engineering, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. So, yes, 5G can make games download faster ...
- VRDC Meetup Brings Virtual Reality to Washington, DC, First Gathering on September 8thon March 18, 2019 at 2:45 pm
The virtual ... in virtual reality. VisiSonics is a spinout from the University of Maryland’s Computer Science Department. They have created several technologies for gaming and VR.
- Virtual Reality Market To Witness High Growth Due To Rising Demand For Advanced Visual Experience By 2025: Grand View Research, Inc.on November 1, 2018 at 2:24 am
The global virtual reality ... is anticipated to revolutionize the market by 2025. According to a report by Grand View Research, Inc.; the global virtual reality (VR) market is anticipated ...
- Virtual Reality Gaming Giant Buys Israeli Startupon July 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Virtual reality star Oculus on Thursday announced ... technology breakthroughs "will unlock new human interaction methods in VR and revolutionize the way people communicate in virtual worlds." ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Revolutionize Gaming in Virtual Realities
The Latest Bing News on:
- Augmented reality and the next century of the webon January 23, 2021 at 12:37 pm
Howdy friends, this is the web version of my Week in Review newsletter, it’s here to entice you to sign up and get it in your inbox every week. Last week, I showcased how Twitter was looking at the ...
- ‘Baba Yaga’ has virtual reality movie premiereon January 23, 2021 at 12:12 pm
The actors were actually on different continents, brought together for a few minutes through virtual reality headsets to walk a red carpet, pose for photos in front of a step and ...
- Snap Turning Virtual Reality Into Real Moneyon January 23, 2021 at 6:00 am
The company is putting users in stores, and businesses on maps, virtually. Investors are giving it real credit.
- NYU medical school launches virtual reality research projecton January 22, 2021 at 2:00 pm
NYU Grossman School of Medicine inked a neurosurgery research collaboration with Proprio, a Seatttle-based company that develops virtual reality technologies for surgery, according to a Jan. 21 news ...
- ‘Baba Yaga’ introduces with a virtual reality movie premiere | Charlotte Observeron January 22, 2021 at 1:41 pm
The actors were actually on different continents, brought together for a few minutes through virtual reality headsets to walk a red carpet, pose for photos in front of a step and repeat and to speak ...
- 'Baba Yaga' introduces with a virtual reality movie premiereon January 22, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Last week Daisy Ridley and Jennifer Hudson went to a movie premiere together. They posed for photos and made remarks from a stage while an audience watched quietly. Or, more accurately, their avatars ...
- Virtual Reality in Gaming and Entertainment Market Data Current and Future Trends, Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Business Growth Forecast to 2026on January 22, 2021 at 11:08 am
Jan 22, 2021 (The Expresswire) -- The overall virtual reality in gaming and entertainment market is expected to grow from USD 4.15 Billion in 2018 to ...
- Apple reportedly working on VR headset as part of augmented reality ambitionson January 22, 2021 at 3:41 am
Tech giant Apple is reportedly developing a virtual reality headset, leading toward the potential release of augmented reality glasses for consumers.
- Location-based Virtual Reality (VR) Market Share 2021 Top Key Players, Analysis, Revenue, Price, Size, Growth Rate, Forecast by 2026on January 21, 2021 at 8:38 pm
Jan (The Expresswire) -- Global “Location-based Virtual Reality (VR) Market” research report contains in depth information of industry by ...
- Virtual reality has real problems. Here’s how game developers seek to delete them.on January 21, 2021 at 1:28 pm
From battling motion sickness to creating a comfortable, wearable device, developers face challenges on multiple fronts.