How is it possible to walk through 3D virtual realities while staying in one place?
Engineers from the Vienna University of Technology have solved this problem and are now introducing their “Virtualizer”.
Head-mounted devices, which display three dimensional images according one’s viewing direction, allowing the users to lose themselves in computer generated worlds are already commercially available. However, it has not yet been possible to walk through these virtual realities, without at some point running into the very real walls of the room. A team of researchers at the Vienna University of Technology has now built a “Virtualizer”, which allows for an almost natural walk through virtual spaces. The user is fixated with a belt in a support frame, the feet glide across a low friction surface. Sensors pick up these movements and feed the data into the computer. The team hopes that the Virtualizer will enter the market in 2014.
Various ideas have been put forward on the digitalization of human motion. Markers can be attached to the body, which are then tracked with cameras – this is how motion capture for animated movies is achieved. For this, however, expensive equipment is needed, and the user is confined to a relatively small space. Prototypes using conveyor belts have not yet yielded satisfactory results.
Tuncay Cakmak, a student at TU Vienna, had a much better idea; when the feet slide across a smooth low-friction surface, almost natural walking movements are possible without in fact changing one’s position. Together with some other students and virtual reality expert Hannes Kaufmann (TU Vienna), he developed the “Virtualizer”.
In the Virtualizer’s metal frame, the user is kept in place with a belt. The smooth floor plate contains sensors, picking up every step. Rotations of the body are registered by the belt. “Coming to terms with the low friction takes a little bit of practice”, says Tuncay Cakmak, “but soon one can run across the smooth sensor plate quite naturally.”
Run, Look, Duck, Jump
The Virtualizer can be used with standard 3D headgear, which picks up the users viewing direction and displays 3D pictures accordingly. This is independent from the leg motion, therefore running into one direction and looking into another becomes possible.
The Latest Bing News on:
Revolutionize Gaming in Virtual Realities
- The impact of AI on the gaming industryon April 17, 2021 at 9:18 am
As time continues to pass and technologies continue to evolve, these AI features will get better and provide even better experiences.
- Laughable Article Attacks Oculus Rift and Virtual Reality, “Total Immersion Technology Will Train Future Mass Murderers”on March 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The company, Oculus VR, is an immersion virtual reality firm now developing the Oculus Rift, “a ground-breaking virtual reality headset for immersive gaming,” according to the firm’s website.
- Young Entrepreneur Gabe Adzich Has Two Startups At 23on March 23, 2021 at 1:18 pm
The novel technology called extended reality refers to all real and virtual combined environments ... portals to new environments, games, software, and much more. XR promises to completely ...
- Neuralink Co-Founder: “We’re Gonna Need a Better Term Than ‘Video Game'”on March 16, 2021 at 4:57 am
With powerful engines, near-photorealistic graphics, and the ability to build incredible, immersive worlds, it’s hard to imagine what the next big technological advance in gaming might be.
- How 5G Is Fueling the Internet of Things to Build a More Resilient Worldon November 6, 2020 at 9:14 am
“It's a unifying connectivity fabric that’s going to connect virtually everything,” says John Smee, VP of Engineering, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. So, yes, 5G can make games download faster ...
- AR and VR can Revolutionize Fitness and Help in Maintaining an Active Lifestyleon August 12, 2020 at 1:59 pm
The introduction of Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) applications in fitness and ... providing consumers a range of options from VR interactive games that integrate exercise to VR yoga ...
- VRDC Meetup Brings Virtual Reality to Washington, DC, First Gathering on September 8thon March 18, 2019 at 2:45 pm
The virtual ... in virtual reality. VisiSonics is a spinout from the University of Maryland’s Computer Science Department. They have created several technologies for gaming and VR.
- Cloud Computing, AI, and Augmented Reality (And the Four Huge Companies Behind Them)on January 24, 2019 at 1:45 am
And now Apple is working on something new… Something that could revolutionize the world we live in ... several small firms with knowledge of AR hardware, 3D gaming and virtual reality software.” It’s ...
- Virtual Reality Market To Witness High Growth Due To Rising Demand For Advanced Visual Experience By 2025: Grand View Research, Inc.on November 1, 2018 at 2:24 am
The global virtual reality ... is anticipated to revolutionize the market by 2025. According to a report by Grand View Research, Inc.; the global virtual reality (VR) market is anticipated ...
- Virtual Reality Market Is Anticipated To Raise Due To Growing VR Penetration In Consumer Electronics Till 2025: Grand View Research, Inc.on December 20, 2017 at 11:11 am
The VR technology has gained prominence over the past year owing to the development and launch of innovative Virtual Reality headsets targeted primarily for the gaming community. The global ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Revolutionize Gaming in Virtual Realities
The Latest Bing News on:
- Virtual Reality Mock-Ups Let Va. Hospital Project Team Approve Remotelyon April 22, 2021 at 8:58 am
The pandemic kept Robins & Morton and Carilion Roanoke Hospital from using physical mock-ups of patient and operating rooms for a $300-million expansion, but VIATechnik's hyper-real VR mock-ups kept ...
- Pat Mazza on How Virtual Reality is Changing the Way People Buy Propertyon April 22, 2021 at 7:56 am
DETROIT, MI / ACCESSWIRE / April 22, 2021 / The combination of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) has proved a potent one for the real estate market. Experienced consultant Pat Mazza has ...
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Solutions for the Aviation Industryon April 22, 2021 at 7:54 am
Virtual and Augmented reality has become a great asset for aviation companies to provide better service and train their staff in a more accurate way.
- Serious Labs Announces Development of Virtual Reality Driving Simulator with Support from Government Partnerson April 22, 2021 at 7:27 am
Edmonton-based Serious Labs today announced that it is developing a virtual reality (VR) commercial truck driving simulator with support from the Government of Alberta, Emissions Reduction Alberta ...
- New Degree at Husson University will Prepare Students for Careers as Extended Reality Professionalson April 22, 2021 at 5:07 am
Husson University announced today that its Board of Trustees approved the creation of a new degree program for students interested in careers that specialize in the design, programming, and technology ...
- Global Virtual Reality Market (2021 to 2026) - by Devices, Hardware, Software, Services, Applications and Contenton April 21, 2021 at 2:09 am
Dublin, April 21, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Virtual Reality Market by Devices, Hardware, Software, Services, Applications and Content 2021 - 2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's ...
- Meet Virtual Reality, Your New Physical Therapiston April 21, 2021 at 2:00 am
While use of the gaming technology for improving physical ailments is still in the early stages, it shows promise — and it’s fun.
- How to Watch Netflix in Virtual Realityon April 20, 2021 at 12:36 pm
Playing virtual reality video games is a blast—but it also takes work. If you simply want to kick back, relax, and experience some mind-bending visuals without thinking too much, why not try watching ...
- Virtual Reality Market Research Report by Device, by Service, by Industry – Global Forecast to 2025 – Cumulative Impact of COVID-19on April 20, 2021 at 7:35 am
The scope of the report includes a detailed study of global and regional markets for Global Virtual Reality Market with ...
- How Virtual Reality Is Making Healthcare More Accessibleon April 19, 2021 at 3:25 pm
Healthcare is an essential need, but a complicated factor for many people who live far from hospitals, medical experts, and other specialists.