A major scientific breakthrough in the development of renewable energy sources and other important chemicals
The research team succeeded in producing 580 mg of gasoline per litre of cultured broth by converting in vivo generated fatty acids.
For many decades, we have been relying on fossil resources to produce liquid fuels such as gasoline, diesel, and many industrial and consumer chemicals for daily use. However, increasing strains on natural resources as well as environmental issues including global warming have triggered a strong interest in developing sustainable ways to obtain fuels and chemicals.
Gasoline, the petroleum-derived product that is most widely used as a fuel for transportation, is a mixture of hydrocarbons, additives, and blending agents. The hydrocarbons, called alkanes, consist only of carbon and hydrogen atoms. Gasoline has a combination of straight-chain and branched-chain alkanes (hydrocarbons) consisted of 4-12 carbon atoms linked by direct carbon-carbon bonds.
Previously, through metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli (E. coli), there have been a few research results on the production of long-chain alkanes, which consist of 13-17 carbon atoms, suitable for replacing diesel. However, there has been no report on the microbial production of short-chain alkanes, a possible substitute for gasoline.
In the paper (entitled “Microbial Production of Short-chain Alkanes”) published online in Nature on September 29, a Korean research team led by Distinguished Professor Sang Yup Lee of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) reported, for the first time, the development of a novel strategy for microbial gasoline production through metabolic engineering of E. coli.
The research team engineered the fatty acid metabolism to provide the fatty acid derivatives that are shorter than normal intracellular fatty acid metabolites, and introduced a novel synthetic pathway for the biosynthesis of short-chain alkanes. This allowed the development of platform E. coli strain capable of producing gasoline for the first time. Furthermore, this platform strain, if desired, can be modified to produce other products such as short-chain fatty esters and short-chain fatty alcohols.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Nigeria’s oil production decreased to 1.08m b/d in Julyon August 7, 2022 at 5:10 am
Nigeria’s crude oil production decreased in July to an average of 1.08 million barrels per day (bpd) from 1.16 million the previous month.
- Marathon Oil Corporation: An Excellent Prospecton August 7, 2022 at 4:00 am
Marathon Oil Corporation has done well to generate strong cash flows for its investors this year. Check out why I rate MRO stock as a strong buy.
- Understanding the Gas Price Rollercoasteron August 7, 2022 at 3:23 am
Lead analyst for GasBuddy, Patrick De Haan says gas prices are going down but that drop is being held by a string and it won't take much to break it.
- Nigeria: No Respite for Nigeria As Oil Production Falls to 1.083 Million BPD in Julyon August 7, 2022 at 1:51 am
The expectation that Nigeria's current dollar crunch could subside soon has again been dashed as the country's crude oil production remained below expectation, slumping to 1.083 million barrels per ...
- Coterra Bumps Up Capital, Production Forecast as Natural Gas, Oil Volumes Exceed Guidanceon August 5, 2022 at 6:17 am
Houston-based Coterra Energy Inc., created from a merger between Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. and Cimarex Energy Co., surpassed natural gas and oil ...
- ConocoPhillips targets LNG exports for global gas productionon August 4, 2022 at 2:32 pm
ConocoPhillips intends to continue growing its presence in the liquefied natural gas sector, chief executive Ryan Lance said during the company’s second quarter earnings call on Thursday.
- Saudi to push OPEC+ to increase oil production at upcoming meeting -Fox Business reporteron August 1, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Saudi Arabia will push OPEC+ to increase oil production at an upcoming meeting on Wednesday, a Fox Business news reporter said on Monday. Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz assured U.S. President Joe ...
- Oil prices will stay high as production constraints keep supplies tight, top CEOs sayon July 31, 2022 at 7:44 am
"There is more upside than downside when it comes to the oil price," Shell Chief Executive Ben van Beurden said.
- Oil, Natural Gas Booming in Guyana as Offshore Production Ramps Upon July 29, 2022 at 6:26 am
Not only is Guyana set to become one of Latin America’s shining economic stars, but the once poor backwater could soon be a key player in the new global ...
- Biden adviser: Saudi Arabia and UAE have "more to give" on oil productionon July 27, 2022 at 9:04 am
White House Middle East coordinator Brett McGurk told a group of think tank experts last week that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are capable of increasing oil production even more, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Microbial gasoline production
- Coconut oil is good for your faceon August 3, 2022 at 11:47 pm
Coconut oil is used as a moisturizer in women’s skincare routines. Here are the benefits of applying coconut oil on face overnight ...
- 53 nutritional and protein drinks recalled for possible microbial contaminationon August 2, 2022 at 8:26 am
(Gray News) – Dozens of nutritional and beverage products are being voluntarily recalled due to the potential for microbial contamination. Lyons Magnus is working with the FDA to recall 53 products ...
- Lab grown palm oil alternative step closer as Clean Food Group secures seed financingon August 1, 2022 at 5:47 am
It is hoped the lab-grown, cellular-based alternative could help reduce the detrimental environmental impact of palm oil production, with the edible ... a bio-equivalent palm oil alternative using ...
- Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery Market Set to Record Exponential Growth to 2030 | Here’s Whyon August 1, 2022 at 3:57 am
This COVID-19 analysis of the report includes COVID-19 IMPACT on the production and, demand, supply chain. This report provides a detailed historical analysis of the global Microbial Enhanced Oil ...
- ‘Cooking oil made by fermentation…’ Zero Acre Farms unveils 'cultured oil' boasting high smoke point and ‘clean, neutral taste’on July 26, 2022 at 10:10 am
Bay area startup Zero Acre Farms - which is deploying synthetic biology and microbial fermentation to produce oils and fats it claims can outperform rivals in the nutrition and sustainability stakes – ...
- Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery (MEOR) Market Size, Share, Growth And Trends, Forecast 2022 - 2031on July 26, 2022 at 1:40 am
Global Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery Market was valued at USD 195 Million in the year 2018 with global production volume of 2620.83 Thousand tonnes oil eq. Aging Oil and Gas Infrastructure ...
- Ghent University: Proteins from microbial fermentation get boost with The ProteInn Clubon July 25, 2022 at 6:16 pm
In Ghent, an innovation platform has been christened that will advance a fairly new (f)actor in the food landscape and the broader bioeconomy, namely proteins made through fermentation-based ...
- Microbial Detection Analyzers Market Trends, Business Overview, Industry Growth, and Forecast 2022 To 2028.on July 25, 2022 at 9:00 am
Pre and Post Covid is covered and Report Customization is available. During the forecasted period 2022 to 2028, ...
- Microbial Control Market Worth USD 7975.9 Mn by 2028 at CAGR of 3.3% – Report Spread across 114 Pageson July 20, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Who are the global key manufacturers of the Microbial Control Industry? How is their operating situation (capacity, production, sales, price, cost, gross, and revenue)? How the competition ...