“This will be the biggest inflection point for IT for a number of years.”
Intel expects the Internet of Things to be the next game changer for the IT industry, allowing firms to sift through huge quantities of data via technology such as the chip giant’s forthcoming Quark low-power processor.
Doug Fisher, corporate vice president and general manager of Intel’s Software and Services Group, pictured above holding the tiny Quark chip, said that the firm expects to see huge enterprise demand for its Quark processor, although he declined to name specific companies being targeted as customers when questioned by V3.
“We’re not doing this out of our own joy,” he said during a media session at the Oracle OpenWorld show in San Francisco on Monday. “This will be the biggest inflection point for IT for a number of years.”
Fisher said that while technology advancements such as virtualisation and connected computing via networks were important, they were not mission changing, whereas the Internet of Things is a massive change to IT.
“You have to sift through and analyse all this data out there. GE has 23 sensors in a jet engine delivering a terabyte of data every day. Sensors are great for maintenance, predicted failures, all the unseen, back-enterprise stuff that’s not consumer visible,” he explained.
Intel unveiled its Quark ultra-small system-on-a-chip (SoC) family for wearable technology – which is said to be one fifth of the size of the firm’s current Atom processor and uses a tenth of the power – at its IDF show earlier in September. Chief executive Brian Krzanich said Intel has been working on wearable technology and has reference designs with different form factors. He expects Quark to start appearing in devices from next year.
The wearable tech aspect – while it has garnered most of the headlines helped by launches such as the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch – forms part of Intel’s plans, but is not the crux of the Quark strategy, said Fisher.
“We’ll innovate around wearable tech. But I’m not worried about hitting every aspect of that, Quark is designed for wearable tech and sensors, for minute types of devices,” Fisher said. Instead, Intel is much more excited by how the broader internet will be altered by the dominance of sensors, which Fisher said would reach five billion by 2020.
The Latest Bing News on:
Internet of Things
- Internet of Things Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2025on April 9, 2021 at 8:08 am
Apr 09, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware Market Study Report Has Added A New Report On Internet of Things Market Size according to market dependency of specific report. That ...
- Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market is Booming Worldwide | Qualcomm, Cisco Systems, Infineon Technologieson April 9, 2021 at 12:05 am
Latest released the research study on Global Embedded Security For Internet Of Things Market offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope Embedded Security For ...
- Best portable WiFi: Five things to consider when you want internet connection anywhereon April 8, 2021 at 7:55 am
We are living in the age of the “Internet of Things.” Nearly every device from your phones to your lamps to your toothbrush has WiFi capabilities, and the interconnected IoT network almost requires ...
- Global Wireless Connectivity Market Report 2020-2025 - Significant Financial Support from Governments for R&D in the Internet of Thingson April 8, 2021 at 1:24 am
The region has a large number of subscribers owning to more than one connected devices; the factors such as increasing automation, rising adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT) platform ...
- The 10 Coolest IoT Security Companies: The 2021 Internet Of Things 50on April 7, 2021 at 7:56 am
These 10 IoT companies are delivering security solutions that can address the unique challenges created by IoT deployments.
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Market: Global Opportunity Analysis And Industry Forecast 2030on April 7, 2021 at 5:47 am
Analyzing the current situation of pandemic Allied Market Research has published a report titled Industrial Internet of Things IIoT Market by Component Hardware Software Services and Connectivity and ...
- The 10 Coolest Industrial IoT Companies: The 2021 Internet Of Things 50on April 6, 2021 at 12:15 pm
Here are the 10 coolest industrial IoT companies of 2021 that are driving new innovations in the way industrial assets are connected and how their data is analyzed.
- Kloudspot Honored Among the 2021 CRN® Internet of Things 50on April 6, 2021 at 7:59 am
has featured Kloudspot on its 2021 Internet of Things (IoT) 50 list in the 10 Coolest IoT Software category. This annual list highlights the leading IT vendors that are changing the game through ...
- The revolution of the Internet of Things, a world to discoveron April 6, 2021 at 1:42 am
A trigger in the world for this technological adoption, due to its applicability, relevance and omnipresence has been the Internet of Things (IoT), which Oracle defines as “the network of physical ...
- Global Internet of Medical Things Market Outlook, Industry Analysis and Prospect 2020-2027on April 5, 2021 at 1:21 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 05, 2021 (Heraldkeepers) -- The Internet of Medical Things (IoMT) is an incorporation of medical devices and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Internet of Things
The Latest Bing News on:
- Global IoT Healthcare Market Size, Share, Value, and Competitive Landscape 2024on April 10, 2021 at 4:09 am
Global IoT Healthcare Market Overview:Global IoT Healthcare Market Report 2020 comes with the extensive industry analysis ...
- “Going Green with IoT” Competition Accepting Entrieson April 10, 2021 at 1:38 am
Prior to the awards, Industry Insights Webinars will present an educational webcast titled “Going Green with IoT.” The program will have a panel of thought leaders, experts, and solution providers who ...
- Aviation IoT Solutions Market Next Big Thing | Major Giants IBM, Microsoft, Cisco Systemson April 9, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Latest released the research study on Global Aviation IoT Solutions Market, offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope. Aviation IoT Solutions Market research ...
- March to 5G could pile on heavier security burden for IoT device manufacturerson April 9, 2021 at 2:55 pm
As the Department of Defense works on standards to dictate 5G rollout, security requirements may be too much for IoT manufacturers. (U.S. Air Force Photo by Senior Airman Perry Aston) The Pentagon ...
- 5G IoT Market worth $40.2 billion by 2026on April 9, 2021 at 12:44 pm
According to a new market research report 5G IoT Market by Component Hardware Platform Connectivity and Services Professional and Managed Network Type End User Manufacturing Healthcare Energy and ...
- New Arm architecture brings enhanced security and AI to IoTon April 8, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Arm has just introduced a processor architecture that aims to meet the growing need for both enhanced security and AI functionality at the edge.
- Vodafone Idea launches IoT solutions for enterpriseson April 8, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Vodafone Idea's enterprise arm Vi Business has launched Integrated IoT (internet of things) solutions for enterprises, the company said on Thursday. The telecom company will offer end-to-end IoT ...
- 5 Must-Haves to Look For in a Best-in-Class IoT Security Solutionon April 8, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: Windows, Mobile, Apple/enterprise, Office and productivity suites, collaboration, web browsers and blockchain ...
- Cradlepoint Sets 5G Bar Again With New R1900 Ruggedized Router for Vehicles With Advanced IoT Connectivity and Edge Computingon April 8, 2021 at 7:00 am
Company Introduces First Product in its Second Generation '5G for Business' Portfolio, Purpose-Built Ruggedized 5G Edge Router for in-Vehicle Connectivity and Edge ComputingBOISE, April 08, 2021 ...
- Why Your Non-Commercial IoT Needs Securing Tooon April 8, 2021 at 5:20 am
If it is connected to the internet, secure it -- end of story. Don’t have the time to patch? Consider automating your patching instead.