The soldier’s uniform isn’t what it used to be.
Not much later this decade, elite warfighters such as U.S. Special Forces could be wearing high-tech battle suits that offer flexible armor to protect against bullets and shrapnel, exoskeleton technology that offers super-human strength, heating and air conditioning to withstand the elements, wearable computers and displays, and conformal radio equipment and antennas for situational awareness.
U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., have approached industry for technologies that could be applied to such futuristic warfighter apparel as part of the technologies for a tactical assault light operator suit (TALOS ).
For now, this integrated battle suit would be strictly for special operations warfighters who must operate silently and unseen behind enemy lines, but if successful and affordable, this kind of electronics-embedded battle suit could see wider use.
SOCOM officials envision a future warfighter’s battle suit that not only makes broad use of embedded electronics, but also that generates much of its own power. the TALOS solicitation specifically calls out the need for power scavenging, renewable energy, and power distribution.
The Latest Bing News on:
- TrellisWare Introduces Next Generation Waveform Katana™ Designed to Increase Resiliency for the Modern Battlefieldon October 8, 2021 at 6:52 am
"TrellisWare is excited to offer Katana as part of our MANET arsenal that addresses the evolving needs of the warfighter and provides communications in contested RF environments when nothing else ...
- General Dynamics at AUSA 2021: Transforming America's Future Fighting Forceon October 6, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Four business units of General Dynamics (NYSE:GD) will participate in the Association of the U.S. Army's 2021 Annual Meeting & Exposition to showcase innovation that enables multi-domain operations ...
- General Dynamics at AUSA 2021: Transforming America's Future Fighting Forceon October 6, 2021 at 11:34 am
SMArtER155's dual-submunition load-out, extended range and increased lethality delivers overmatch against adversaries and provides the warfighter with an advantage on the modern, high-intensity ...
- Systel To Showcase Next-Gen Rugged Computing Solutions At AUSAon October 6, 2021 at 3:55 am
Systel's modular and open rugged hardware solutions provide the latest COTS enabling technologies to the warfighter. "We are very excited to meet in-person again and present the latest in military ...
- Win Medal of Honor: Warfighter for PS3 and PC [competition closed]on October 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Cape Town-based Castle One, a prop-tech venture capital and private equity ... Here’s what to know… South Africa is a strong-demand market for high-performance SUVs. With many venues having ...
- Need for Speed: SOFWERX Zeros In on Rapid Acquisitionon October 4, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The SOFWERX hub was stood up in 2017 under a partnership agreement with SOCOM to help solve challenging warfighter problems in collaboration ... its efforts to focus on rapid procurement, not just ...
- Dr. Valerie Browningon September 28, 2021 at 3:21 pm
In this role, she provides leadership across DoD’s S&T enterprise efforts to rapidly develop, mature and protect key technologies and ensure U.S. warfighter ... portfolio of high-risk, high ...
- HawkEye 360 to Help NGA Map Radio Frequency Emissions; Alex Fox Quotedon September 27, 2021 at 5:00 pm
“This program is an excellent example of agile acquisition rapidly delivering high-impact GEOINT to the warfighter,” said Alex Fox, executive vice president for business development, sales and ...
- Oracle pushes on with JEDI lawsuit despite DoD dropping contracton September 22, 2021 at 5:03 am
After lawsuits from both AWS and Oracle claimed flaws in the procurement process, the DoD cancelled JEDI, replacing it with a new Joint Warfighter Cloud Capability (JWCC) plan. Oracle is pushing on ...
- SEMI Nano-Bio Materials Consortium Awards Contract to Aptima to Develop SMARTWATCH for Health Monitoring of Military Personnelon September 21, 2021 at 7:41 am
Solving for size, weight, power, and cost (SWAP-C), ruggedness, standardization, and future-proof flexibility, SMARTWATCH’s hardware and software innovations will include: a two-sided ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
High-tech battle suits
- PS5 DualSense controller vs Xbox Series X controller: which gamepad is better?on October 9, 2021 at 4:39 pm
We’ve put together this PS5 DualSense controller vs Xbox Series X controller guide, providing an in-depth comparison of the two next-gen gamepads.
- Iowa State defeats Texas Tech in five set Big 12 battleon October 7, 2021 at 2:55 pm
Strong defense and a few major runs led Iowa State volleyball to a 3-2 victory (21-25, 25-20, 25-23, 24-26, 19-17) over Texas Tech on Thursday.
- Sterlite Fights IP Theft Claims In Fiber-Optic Cable Battleon October 7, 2021 at 6:10 am
"Protecting our products with patents and trademarks is a key part of our group's activities, in line with our strategy of growth in high-tech market segments and in ... The patents in suit are ...
- Dubai’s Ruler Hacked Phones of His Ex-Wife and Her Lawyers, U.K. Court Sayson October 6, 2021 at 2:57 pm
The sheikh, embroiled in a court case with his former wife, a Jordanian princess, used Israeli software to hack the phones. One of the lawyers targeted is a member of Britain’s House of Lords.
- 2022 Kawasaki KX450SR Guideon October 6, 2021 at 7:09 am
LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL RACER. Introducing the 2022 Kawasaki KX450SR… Kawasaki brings its rich motocross racing heritage closer to the customer with the new production KX™450SR motorcycle. Throughout ...
- Dimensional Avengers: Terry McGinnison October 5, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Our next profile for our Dimensional Avengers series is none other than the successor of the Batman Title, Member of the Avengers and the boyfriend/lover of Adora/She-Ra himself Terry McGinnis. As ...
- Zombie Paintball returns to Andelin Family Farms this Octoberon October 5, 2021 at 2:27 am
The Zombies return to Andelin Family Farm this fall for the 6th season of Zombie Paintball. The exciting attraction where guests defend the city from the zombies aboard the battle buses. Andelin ...
- Metal Unit Available on Super Rare Games Next Weekon October 1, 2021 at 4:36 pm
Super Rare Games is adding another eclectic and fun looking game to their physical Switch library. Published by NEOWIZ and developed by JellySnow, it's none other than Metal Unit, a rogue-lite ...
- “God’s will is being thwarted.” Even in solid Republican counties, hard-liners seek more partisan control of elections.on October 1, 2021 at 3:00 am
The political battle in one Texas county where Trump got 81% of the vote offers a rare view into the virulent distrust and unyielding pressure facing elections administrators.
- Google faces a lawsuit over DeepMind's access to 1.6 million UK patients' recordson October 1, 2021 at 2:12 am
DeepMind's access to Royal Free patient data was deemed unlawful in 2017, with the UK's data regulator ruling that patients weren't fully informed.