A data-sharing scheme utilizing an encryption manager shows the way towards low-cost, flexible and secure cloud storage services
Wider adoption of cloud storage services by organizations has been hindered by security and privacy issues. A consequence of storing data on the cloud is that, by its very nature, the storage infrastructure is not owned by the same organization that owns the data. In addition, the data of one user is stored along with that of many others. Traditional schemes for ensuring security can only protect data privacy by sacrificing convenient operations such as searching and sharing.
Now, Shu Qin Ren and his colleague Khin Mi Mi Aung at the A*STAR Data Storage Institute in Singapore have devised a scheme that would not only allow organizations to store data on the cloud without loss of privacy but also permit searching and sharing of the data1. The system is able to preserve the benefit of the cloud’s specialized low-cost storage infrastructure while overcoming its current privacy and flexibility limitations. “The scheme may potentially push forward the wider adoption of cloud storage usage for organizations,” says Ren.
The solution proposed by the researchers involves a central ‘key manager’, who specifically manages data authentication and access authorization. In their scheme, data stored on the cloud is encrypted by its owner and hence is indecipherable to anyone else — including the cloud storage provider. A secret key required to unlock the encryption is generated and kept by the owner, who also determines an access policy for other users. This policy is implemented by the key manager, who generates a second access key, which is then passed back to the owner. Next, the owner wraps the original encryption key in this second layer of protection. The key manager is then able to pass on the second ‘public’ key to authorized third parties to allow them to access the data.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Florida lawmakers take steps to limit school-data sharingon March 5, 2021 at 4:46 pm
A Senate panel this week advanced a proposal that would require Florida school districts to obtain written consent from parents before releasing their children’s grades to law enforcement. Sen. Jeff ...
- China's Key Data Sharing Mandate Wreak Double Whammy For Tech Industry Amidst Increased Antitrust Probe: Bloombergon March 4, 2021 at 11:07 pm
China’s instruction to technology giants regarding key data sharing acts as a double whammy for its tech companies recuperating from increased antitrust scrutiny, Bloomberg reports. The U.S.
- Moderna and IBM Plan to Collaborate on COVID-19 Vaccine Supply Chain and Distribution Data Sharingon March 4, 2021 at 8:15 am
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. and ARMONK, N.Y., March 4, 2021/ PRNewswire/-- Today, Moderna and IBM announced their intentions to explore technologies, including artificial intelligence, blockchain and hybrid ...
- Esselman Presents at Sleeping Bear Dunes Coastal Science Data Sharing Webinaron March 4, 2021 at 4:45 am
Dr. Peter Esselman gave a presentation entitled, "Toward fully autonomous estimation of round goby abundances: a case study from Sleeping Bear Dunes," at the annual data sharing webinar for ...
- Unraveling Data’s Gordian Knot: Enablers and Safeguards for Trusted Data Sharing in the New Economyon March 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Unlocking data for reuse need not be at odds with individual rights – data sharing can uphold data protections and enhance individual agency and trust.
- 3 Ways the Biden Admin, HHS Could Boost Patient Data Sharingon March 2, 2021 at 2:11 pm
March 02, 2021 - The Biden administration could require enhanced patient data sharing, update EHR requirements, and increase API access to improve public health sharing and give experts the tools ...
- Opinion: Toward Better Data Sharingon March 1, 2021 at 1:11 am
Counter to that, and thanks to grassroots efforts, the past decade has seen an unprecedented growth of open sharing culture in many computational fields such as machine learning or artificial ...
- FI Data-Sharing Ecosystem Demands Customer-Centric Approachon February 26, 2021 at 2:37 am
Lisa Shields of FISPAN explains how banks, FinTechs and regulators can drive the data-sharing ecosystem forward responsibly without hampering innovation.
- AI researchers detail obstacles to data sharing in Africaon February 23, 2021 at 6:26 pm
Coauthors argue that failure to consider ethical concerns associated with obstacles to data sharing in Africa could cause irreparable harm.
- Alzheimer Europe sets out recommendations to improve data sharing in dementia researchon February 23, 2021 at 6:01 am
At an online European Parliament workshop hosted by Deirdre Clune MEP (Ireland), Alzheimer Europe launched a new report ''Data Sharing in Dementia Research'', which reviews recent changes in EU ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Data security and privacy
- Ask a CCO: How has your company prioritized data privacy compliance?on March 4, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Five senior compliance practitioners tell us how their companies have reacted to recent privacy legislation like the GDPR, CCPA, and other state regulations in the pipeline.
- Reflecting Back on Data Privacy Day 2021: Why This Day Mattered More Than Ever Beforeon March 4, 2021 at 7:00 pm
The CMMC framework raises the bar for DOD contractors and is apropos in the wake of such events as the SolarWinds hack, calling attention to the importance of cybersecurity and data privacy.
- TruHearing Achieves HITRUST® CSF Certification, Demonstrating Commitment To Data Security And Risk Mitigationon March 4, 2021 at 9:17 am
TruHearing, the market leader in hearing benefits, is proud to announce its Echo platform and supporting infrastructure, as well as its headquarters in Draper, Utah and colocation facility in ...
- Genetec solutions help ensure organizations don’t have to choose between privacy and securityon March 2, 2021 at 7:09 am
Combining powerful tools and responsible practices, Genetec solutions support privacy and security simultaneously to build public trust and support compliance with privacy laws Pierre Racz, President, ...
- Amping Data Security Can Boost Your Privacy Strategyon March 2, 2021 at 3:38 am
Regulatory bodies around the world will continue to implement rules and penalties related to maintaining privacy. The NIST Privacy Framework offers some valuable guidelines for continuous compliance.
- BIGtoken’s Top 10 Data Privacy Headlines From Februaryon March 1, 2021 at 9:28 pm
BIGtoken, Inc., the first privacy focused, opt-in, data marketplace, where people can own and monetize their data, publishes a monthly report on the top 10 stories in data privacy. U.S. data privacy ...
- Clubhouse’s security and privacy lag behind its explosive growthon February 28, 2021 at 4:09 am
But as Clubhouse continues to expand, its security and privacy failings have come under increased scrutiny—and left the company scrambling to correct problems and manage expectations. Clubhouse, still ...
- New tool identifies security and privacy risks associated with COVID-19 contact tracing appson February 25, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Researchers have developed a tool to identify security and privacy risks associated with Covid-19 contact tracing apps.
- Closing the data divide: How to create harmony among data scientists and privacy advocateson February 25, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Careful consideration must be made to ensure data privacy and security policies are implemented in a consistent manner across the enterprise.
- New tool reveals security and privacy issues with contact tracing appson February 25, 2021 at 9:34 am
Researchers have developed a tool to identify security and privacy risks associated with COVID-19 contact tracing apps.