Diesel-addicted remote communities pin hopes on energy storage technology
In Sandy Lake, Ontario (population 2,650), the diesel fuel that powers this remote community a thousand miles northwest of Toronto costs around $9 a gallon. And even then, in its harsh northern climate, it provides electricity only some of the time.
“There’s always problems, there’s always power outages,” grumbles Harry Meekis, capital projects manager for the Sandy Lake First Nation. “Diesel is the only source of service that we have right now. Whether that’s affordable or not, that’s the only source we have,” he added.
Needless to say, they’re looking for alternatives, and a Canadian mining company thinks it has found one in a new battery using the little-known metal vanadium.
Without any feasible storage options, renewable sources like wind turbines and solar panels can generate power only when the wind blows and the sun shines. With storage, the power could be stored and distributed whenever needed, one of the reasons storage technology is being described as the “holy grail” in renewable energy.
Multiple battery technologies are being experimented with right now, including lithium and cadmium flow batteries, but Vancouver, British Columbia-based American Vanadium thinks vanadium flow batteries could have several distinct advantages, including durability and scalability.
The battery relies on an electrolyte compound made of a mixture of vanadium, a metal commonly used to harden steel, and sulfuric acid in a container that can continuously charge and discharge. Unlike most batteries, the electrolyte would not degrade over time because the anode and cathode aren’t made out of competing material. And, since it’s mostly made of water, it’s nontoxic and can’t explode, according to Ron MacDonald, executive chairman of American Vanadium.
Mining tomorrow, revenue today
American Vanadium has taken a two-pronged approach to bringing vanadium batteries to market. The company has bought the rights to a mountainside in central Nevada that’s home to a uniquely pure vanadium deposit. It hopes to create an open-pit mine to extract the metal in about 18 months, once it has finished the permitting process with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
The site, known as Gibellini Hill, contains vanadium deposits at 99.995 percent purity, according to MacDonald.
“Which means it’s up to purity that we can put into battery market,” he said. “The deposit is unique. Metallurgists are saying there’s nothing else really with it.”
American Vanadium’s mine may not be operational for two years, but the company still hopes to start selling vanadium flow batteries soon. It has secured an offshore supply of electrolyte and recently signed a sales agreement with Austrian energy company Gildemeister for exclusive use of the company’s CellCube technology, a scalable energy storage system.
Gildemeister is already selling CellCubes across Europe and Asia, with the battery storing energy in towns from Germany to Siberia to Saudi Arabia. This durability in a variety of climates was attractive to American Vanadium board members.
“Gildemeister has over 100 [CellCube] installations, and over 40 significant ones,” said MacDonald. “They’ve really built it well, and they’ve built it for these climates.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Redflow in running to deliver its first megawatt-hour battery in Australiaon August 29, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Brisbane-based zinc bromine flow battery maker named in request for tender for a job that could mark its first megawatt-hour scale job in Australia.
- How extreme cold can crack lithium-ion battery materials, degrading performanceon August 26, 2021 at 12:28 pm
Lithium ion batteries are a bit famous for their poor cold-weather performance, and that has consequences for some of their most important applications—everything from starting an electric car in a ...
- Vanadium Flow Battery Manufacturer StorEnTech Has New Shareholderon August 25, 2021 at 10:02 am
Vanadium Flow Battery Manufacturer Has New Shareholder () August 25th, 2021 StorEn Technologies Inc., a Client of the Clean Energy Business Incubator Program (CEBIP) at Stony Brook University, is ...
- Asus ROG Flow X13 review: The king of small gaming laptops?on August 25, 2021 at 6:00 am
The ROG Flow X13 is one of the smallest gaming laptops in the world. But is the performance trade-off worth it?
- Could Battery-Powered Container Ships Serve Transatlantic Trade?on August 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
A forty-foot container of their batteries can offer 4,000kWh of energy storage and requires recharging during layovers at port. Vanadium Corp. Resources offers a liquid electrolyte flow battery ...
- Global and Japan Vanadium Redox Flow Battery (VRB) Market Insights, Forecast to 2027on August 24, 2021 at 12:39 am
Pages Report] Check for Discount on Global and Japan Vanadium Redox Flow Battery (VRB) Market Insights, Forecast to 2027 report by QYResearch Group. Vanadium Redox Flow Battery (VRB) market is ...
- Explainer: Are lithium-ion batteries in EVs a fire hazard?on August 23, 2021 at 2:58 pm
General Motors Co has expanded the recall of its Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicles due to a risk of fire from the pouch-type lithium-ion battery cells made by South Korea's LG.
- Battery Mineral Resources Corp. Announces Flow-Through Private Placementon August 23, 2021 at 6:48 am
Battery Mineral Resources Corp. (TSXV: BMR) (“Battery” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that it intends to complete a non-brokered private placement to raise gross proceeds of up to $800,000 ...
- Redox flow battery retains more than 90% of capacity over 6,000 cycles via new catholyteon August 23, 2021 at 5:40 am
The battery was built with a new catholyte and a symmetry-breaking strategy, which consists of changing the symmetry of the redox-active organic molecules instead of using the common approach of ...
- Global Flow Battery Market Size & Share Expected Forecast Value of USD 423.26 Million by 2026: Facts & Factorson August 18, 2021 at 5:47 am
Pages Research Report] According to Facts and Factors market research report, the Global Flow Battery Market size & share revenue is expected to grow from USD 174.62 Million in 2020 to reach USD ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Safari to launch latest energy storage systems in KSAon August 30, 2021 at 4:02 am
Saudi Arabia based Safari Group, a diverse business group, has agreed with AGreatE and Symtech Solar to introduce state-of-the-art AI-based battery energy storage systems and associated products ...
- These 3 energy storage technologies can help solve the challenge of moving to 100% renewable electricityon August 30, 2021 at 4:00 am
NREL researchers estimate that the potential exists to increase U.S. renewable energy storage capacity by as much as 3,000% percent by 2050.
- South Asia's largest energy storage system worth Rs 55 cr set up in Delhion August 30, 2021 at 3:45 am
Delhi Power Minister Satyendar Jain on Sunday visited a 10-megawatt battery energy storage system at Tata Power-DDL in Rohini. Speaking to ANI, Jain informed that this is South Asia's largest energy ...
- Cruden Group inks ScottishPower deal to power homes with 100% renewable energyon August 30, 2021 at 3:36 am
Construction specialist Cruden Group has extended its longstanding partnership with COP26 key sponsor ScottishPower via the signing of a three-year enhanced green energy supply contract.
- Grants awarded for farm robots, energy storage in Maineon August 30, 2021 at 12:11 am
A pair of companies in Biddeford and Wiscasset have each received $250,000 grants through the Maine Clean Energy Innovation Challenge. Farmhand Automation, in Biddeford, is developing batter-powered ...
- Renewable energy needs storage. These 3 solutions can help.on August 29, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Kerry Rippy is a researcher at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. This story was originally featured on The Conversation.In recent decades the cost of wind and solar power generation has ...
- Offshore Energy Storage Market 2021: Size, Share, Trends, Market Demand, Growth, Industry Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast 2027on August 27, 2021 at 1:57 am
Offshore Energy Storage Market 2021 present an abstract of the global market covers market Overview and Scope, Segment ...
- Tulane Scientist Leads Study on Faster Charging Energy Storageon August 26, 2021 at 5:58 am
Michael Naguib, the Ken & Ruth Arnold Early Career Professor in Science and Engineering, is an expert in two-dimensional material and electrochemical energy storage. (Photo: Paula Burch-Celentano)NEW ...
- Scientist leads study on faster charging energy storageon August 25, 2021 at 12:27 pm
An award-winning Tulane University researcher has led a team in discoveries that could result in significantly faster charging electric vehicles and portable devices such as cell phones and laptops.
- Nuvation Energy becomes reseller of EVLO energy storage systemson August 24, 2021 at 3:02 am
Québec's energy storage subsidiary, and Nuvation Energy, are teaming up through a reseller agreement for EVLO's energy storage systems. EVLO specializes in grid-scale energy storage systems based on ...