Diesel-addicted remote communities pin hopes on energy storage technology
In Sandy Lake, Ontario (population 2,650), the diesel fuel that powers this remote community a thousand miles northwest of Toronto costs around $9 a gallon. And even then, in its harsh northern climate, it provides electricity only some of the time.
“There’s always problems, there’s always power outages,” grumbles Harry Meekis, capital projects manager for the Sandy Lake First Nation. “Diesel is the only source of service that we have right now. Whether that’s affordable or not, that’s the only source we have,” he added.
Needless to say, they’re looking for alternatives, and a Canadian mining company thinks it has found one in a new battery using the little-known metal vanadium.
Without any feasible storage options, renewable sources like wind turbines and solar panels can generate power only when the wind blows and the sun shines. With storage, the power could be stored and distributed whenever needed, one of the reasons storage technology is being described as the “holy grail” in renewable energy.
Multiple battery technologies are being experimented with right now, including lithium and cadmium flow batteries, but Vancouver, British Columbia-based American Vanadium thinks vanadium flow batteries could have several distinct advantages, including durability and scalability.
The battery relies on an electrolyte compound made of a mixture of vanadium, a metal commonly used to harden steel, and sulfuric acid in a container that can continuously charge and discharge. Unlike most batteries, the electrolyte would not degrade over time because the anode and cathode aren’t made out of competing material. And, since it’s mostly made of water, it’s nontoxic and can’t explode, according to Ron MacDonald, executive chairman of American Vanadium.
Mining tomorrow, revenue today
American Vanadium has taken a two-pronged approach to bringing vanadium batteries to market. The company has bought the rights to a mountainside in central Nevada that’s home to a uniquely pure vanadium deposit. It hopes to create an open-pit mine to extract the metal in about 18 months, once it has finished the permitting process with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
The site, known as Gibellini Hill, contains vanadium deposits at 99.995 percent purity, according to MacDonald.
“Which means it’s up to purity that we can put into battery market,” he said. “The deposit is unique. Metallurgists are saying there’s nothing else really with it.”
American Vanadium’s mine may not be operational for two years, but the company still hopes to start selling vanadium flow batteries soon. It has secured an offshore supply of electrolyte and recently signed a sales agreement with Austrian energy company Gildemeister for exclusive use of the company’s CellCube technology, a scalable energy storage system.
Gildemeister is already selling CellCubes across Europe and Asia, with the battery storing energy in towns from Germany to Siberia to Saudi Arabia. This durability in a variety of climates was attractive to American Vanadium board members.
“Gildemeister has over 100 [CellCube] installations, and over 40 significant ones,” said MacDonald. “They’ve really built it well, and they’ve built it for these climates.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- UA Flow Velociti Wind Review: Running Shoes That Are Both Smart and Faston April 11, 2021 at 3:00 pm
The Flow midsole foam does double duty on both cushioning and ... I also couldn't find any place where it said how long the Bluetooth chip would work. There are no batteries to replace and plug to ...
- How to check your Apple Pencil battery so you know when to charge iton April 9, 2021 at 12:33 pm
You can check your Apple Pencil battery in two different ways ... There's nothing quite so annoying as getting into a flow state, only to have the technology you're using lose power, bringing ...
- On our way to "green" flow batteries: New research project at the University of Bayreuthon April 9, 2021 at 5:48 am
Flow batteries (redox flow batteries) have already proven to be a form of energy storage with great economic and ecological potential. A new research project by Prof. Dr. Birgit Weber at the ...
- Solvation cages may lead to more efficient operation of high-voltage battery cellson April 7, 2021 at 10:18 pm
For example, membranes in a battery separating the two terminals help to prevent short circuits, while also allowing the transport of charged particles, or ions, needed to maintain the flow of ...
- Designing selective membranes for batteries using a drug discovery toolboxon April 7, 2021 at 8:41 am
By binding specific ions in specially designed cages within its pores, a new membrane could enable more efficient flows in energy storage devices.
- Ameresco Begins Second Phase of Department of Defense Funded Flow Battery Investigationon April 7, 2021 at 4:45 am
Ameresco, Inc., (NYSE: AMRC), a leading cleantech integrator specializing in energy efficiency and renewable energy, today announced that it has begun phase-two of a multi-stage investigation into how ...
- Power Tool Battery Market Eyeing Phenomenal Growth at a healthy CAGR of 8.52% | Market Research Future (MRFR)on April 7, 2021 at 4:29 am
Key companies profiled in the power tool batteries market research report are Battery Xpress, BYD Co.Ltd., A-one Moli Energy Corp., Hitachi Ltd., Ryobi Ltd., Samsung SDI, Techtronic Industries Co.Ltd.
- New materials for organic redox flow batterieson April 7, 2021 at 3:50 am
Scientists in Russia have designed a whole series of new compounds that could serve as catholytes and anolytes in organic redox flow batteries. The materials promise to open up new pathways for ...
- New material for catholytes and anolytes in organic redox flow batterieson April 6, 2021 at 6:22 am
Researchers from Skoltech and their collaborators have designed, synthesized and evaluated new compounds that can serve as catholytes and anolytes for organic redox flow batteries, bringing this ...
- Nanom’s nanotech makes more efficient batteries that last at least 9 times longeron April 2, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Nanom uses custom nanoparticles to create batteries that are far more efficient than those using current technologies.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Residential Solar Energy Storage Market May See a Big Move : Major Giants LG Chem , Abengoa Solar, Esolaron April 10, 2021 at 7:20 am
Stay up-to-date and exploit latest trends of Residential Solar Energy Storage Market with latest edition released by AMA. Residential Solar Energy Storage Market Comprehensive Study is an expert and ...
- EGEB: These energy storage startups just got a big cash injectionon April 9, 2021 at 8:52 am
Battery materials and battery recycling startups get funding; Biden wants to swap fossil fuel subsidies for clean energy incentives.
- Aluminum-anode batteries could make solar energy storage more affordableon April 9, 2021 at 5:58 am
One of the challenges with capturing green solar energy is in being able to store that energy for use in times when the sun is unavailable. While the cost of harvesting solar energy has declined ...
- Spruce Power Partners with sonnen to Offer Energy Storage Upgrades, Develop Virtual Power Plantson April 8, 2021 at 8:26 am
Spruce Power, a Power-as-a-Service™ company with roots in energy efficiency and residential solar energy, announced it entered a supply and partnership agreement with sonnen Inc., a global market ...
- Flywheel Energy Storage Systems Market to grow at a Steady Rate During the Forecast Period – TechSci Researchon April 7, 2021 at 5:00 am
Rising demand for continued and clean electricity in the industries drive the growth of Global Flywheel Energy Storage System Market. According to TechSci Research report, “Global Flywheel Energy ...
- Intersolar North America and Energy Storage North America Announce Their In-person Event Will Now Be Held in January 2022on April 6, 2021 at 12:00 pm
PORTLAND, Maine, April 06, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Intersolar North America (ISNA) and Energy Storage North America (ESNA), the industry’s flagship solar + storage events, today announced that ...
- Ameresco Announces Partnership with Holy Cross Energy and Colorado Mountain College for Solar and Battery Energy Storage Projecton April 6, 2021 at 5:30 am
Ameresco announces partnership with Holy Cross Energy and Colorado Mountain College for solar and battery energy storage project.
- New batteries give jolt to renewables, energy storageon April 5, 2021 at 11:55 am
Researchers have been exploring the use of low-cost materials to create rechargeable batteries that will make energy storage more affordable. Now, they have shown that a new technique incorporating ...
- Advanced Energy Storage Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025on April 5, 2021 at 5:41 am
Advanced Energy Storage market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025, with a CAGR of 4.5% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025 and will expected to reach USD ...
- Intelligent Energy Storage System Market Size to Record 45% CAGR Through 2026on April 4, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Global Intelligent Energy Storage System Market Size is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 45% during 2021-2026. The growth of the market is accredited to the burgeoning advancements in the IoT ...