The SealBio technique invented by a team of doctors at AIIMS in the Capital has been found to cure and regenerate an infected root canal through stem cell activation
Reported advances in the field of regenerative medicine, hinging on the use of stem cells, evoke both scepticism and hope. Claims of miracle cures by unmonitored clinics for afflictions ranging from Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, cancers, heart diseases, spinal injuries, paralysis to general symptoms of ageing have proved counter-productive. For, without certified clinical trials, such claims fall flat.
As a premier research and teaching centre, which also provides specialised medical care, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in the Capital is cautious about testimonies. These require clearance after rigorous verification.
The institute has promoted research in the application of stem cells to treat diverse maladies. A breakthrough dental regeneration technique has been developed by the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Centre for Dental Education and Research. A team, headed by Prof. Naseem Shah, centre chief and department head, has pioneered the SealBio technique for infected root canal cure and regeneration, where necrosis has set in. It is unique to AIIMS.
The method hinges on the premise that human intervention should facilitate natural healing by activating the body’s own regenerative power. In this case, it is achieved by the simple expedient of activating stem cells in a decaying tooth’s root canal, after it is rigorously cleaned and disinfected. The root canal is then restored to health by the gradual build up of tissue by stem cells over a period, extending from a few weeks to some months. This does away with the century-old convention of filling up the root canal, after it is cleaned up, with gutta percha, a rubber derivative.
No need for implant
Since the AIIMS method induces tissue build up, chance of saving the infected tooth is greater, precluding the need for an implant or other artificial object in the mouth. A research paper, titled ‘SealBio: A novel, non-obturation endodontic treatment based on concept of regeneration’, authored by Dr. Naseem Shah and Dr. Ajay Logani, and published in Journal of Conservative Dentistry, dated October-December 2012, details the procedure. It cites 18 case studies, of patients ranging from 15-76 years, with severely infected teeth. Activating stem cells involves ‘over-instrumentation into the periapical region’ with a very fine surgical needle so as to induce bleeding. Subsequently, the cavity in the crown is restored, and a thorough follow up of cases is done over the following months. Healing of lesions, as their size decreases, and increase in bone and cementum density is documented via X-rays. All cases showed excellent healing.
This excerpt demystifies the method so that even a lay person can understand it: “Apical cleaning, apical foramen widening and over instrumentation into periapical region were done to induce bleeding near apical foramen. It is hypothesised that the clot formed provides a scaffold into which locally residing stem cells can get seeded and the cascade of healing process can initiate.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Infident Dental Clinic Continues to Revolutionize Orthodontic Treatment with Dental Invisalign Treatmenton August 4, 2022 at 9:14 am
This dental treatment is a technological breakthrough in aligning teeth that will make braces or metal fittings a thing of the past. Patients in Cyprus can now ask for Invisalign treatment at ...
- Vaccination and BA.1 breakthrough infection induce neutralizing antibodies less efficient against BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variantson August 2, 2022 at 8:37 am
Study: COVID-19 vaccination and BA.1 breakthrough infection induce neutralising antibodies which are less efficient against BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variants, Israel, March to June 2022. Image Credit ...
- Major breakthrough on fertility treatment for lesbian coupleson August 1, 2022 at 12:39 pm
Lesbian couples will no longer have to face financial barriers to accessing NHS fertility treatment, in a major breakthrough in ... guide to sexual health, from dental dams to latex gloves ...
- 3 Dental Supplies Stocks to Buy Amid Industry Headwindson August 1, 2022 at 9:05 am
The Zacks Medical - Dental Supplies industry bore the brunt of the closure of dental practices and lower patient visits due to the risk of exposure to the virus. However, the dental market has ...
- Scientists develop chewing gum that could help limit the spread of COVIDon July 28, 2022 at 8:10 am
Scientists are hopeful that a new chewing gum could become a potent tool in the fight against COVID, minimizing the spread of the virus.
- Major breakthrough on fertility treatment for lesbian coupleson July 27, 2022 at 8:29 am
Lesbian couples will no longer have to face financial barriers to accessing NHS fertility treatment, in a major breakthrough in IVF funding. Until now, female same-sex couples in England were forced ...
- Transport minister welcomes HS2 breakthroughon July 27, 2022 at 4:00 am
COPELAND MP and Transport Minister Trudy Harrison, has welcomed a step forward for HS2 – a high speed railway line designed to improve UK connectivity.
- Breakthrough: Volumetric 3D Printed Livers in Regenerative Medicineon July 26, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Related: The Role of 3D Printing in Combating Dental Disparities The team’s printing method leverages optical tomography to carefully shape gelatin hydrogels that contain organoids – tiny, ...
- Research breakthrough in mystery child hepatitison July 26, 2022 at 1:05 am
British researchers reported a breakthrough Monday in mysterious hepatitis cases affecting young children, finding the serious liver condition was linked to co-infection of two common viruses ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Revolutionary QC Kinetix (Grand Junction) Regenerative Medicineon August 3, 2022 at 3:20 pm
QC Kinetix (Grand Junction) is one in a long list of QC Kinetix clinics operating nationwide. Biologic therapies at QC Kinetix (Grand Junction) offer long-term relief to several conditions. For knee ...
- QC Kinetix (Wilmington) is the Go-to Regenerative Medicine Clinic for Back Pain and Sports Injury Treatmenton August 3, 2022 at 1:13 pm
QC Kinetix (Wilmington) is the go-to clinic for patient-centered, all-natural regenerative medicine to treat chronic pain ...
- How QC Kinetix (Bowling Green) is Helping Athletes Recover Fast With its Sports Medicineon August 3, 2022 at 1:09 pm
QC Kinetix (Bowling Green) is changing the game by helping athletes get back on their feet with reliable sports medicine.
- ISSCA Announces the Program Agenda of Regenerative Medicine World Congress 2022 – Istanbul, Turkeyon August 2, 2022 at 12:02 pm
The International Society for Stem Cell Application (ISSCA) is hosting the most anticipated regenerative medicine event of the year – Regenerative Medicine World Congress 2022. The congress will take ...
- Regenerative medicine accelerator gains new tenanton August 1, 2022 at 12:15 pm
A downtown Winston-Salem research innovation initiative has gained a new tenant in RTT Medical, the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine said Monday.
- Global Translational Regenerative Medicine Market is Predicted to Reach USD 5 Billion By 2028 Registering a CAGR of 11% | Infinium Global Researchon July 26, 2022 at 11:21 am
The Translational Regenerative Medicine Market Research Report Study. Covers global and regional markets with an ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market Analysis and Business Outlook 2021 to 2031on July 24, 2022 at 11:55 pm
One of the main drivers of regenerative medicine market is that the rising research and developments activities and innovations and funding in biomaterials, nanotechnology, drug delivery, and cell ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market Share Detailed Analysis Of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth By 2025on July 21, 2022 at 6:41 am
Market Study Report, 's latest addition on ' Regenerative Medicine market' is a research that features comprehensive outlook pertaining to market valuations, market share, profit estimations ...
- Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market Evaluation of Industry Trends, Growth Drivers and Forecast To 2028on July 18, 2022 at 6:20 am
Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market: A thorough analysis of statistics about the current as well as emerging trends offers clarity regarding the Orthopedic Regenerative Medicine Market dynamics.
- Regenerative Medicine Market Statistics | Emerging Trends | Size | Growth Factors | Forecast – 2031on July 13, 2022 at 1:30 am
The latest corporate intelligence studies report that the global regenerative medicine market is anticipated to grow commendably over the forecast years, registering a lucrative growth rate of 15. ...