The SealBio technique invented by a team of doctors at AIIMS in the Capital has been found to cure and regenerate an infected root canal through stem cell activation
Reported advances in the field of regenerative medicine, hinging on the use of stem cells, evoke both scepticism and hope. Claims of miracle cures by unmonitored clinics for afflictions ranging from Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, cancers, heart diseases, spinal injuries, paralysis to general symptoms of ageing have proved counter-productive. For, without certified clinical trials, such claims fall flat.
As a premier research and teaching centre, which also provides specialised medical care, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in the Capital is cautious about testimonies. These require clearance after rigorous verification.
The institute has promoted research in the application of stem cells to treat diverse maladies. A breakthrough dental regeneration technique has been developed by the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Centre for Dental Education and Research. A team, headed by Prof. Naseem Shah, centre chief and department head, has pioneered the SealBio technique for infected root canal cure and regeneration, where necrosis has set in. It is unique to AIIMS.
The method hinges on the premise that human intervention should facilitate natural healing by activating the body’s own regenerative power. In this case, it is achieved by the simple expedient of activating stem cells in a decaying tooth’s root canal, after it is rigorously cleaned and disinfected. The root canal is then restored to health by the gradual build up of tissue by stem cells over a period, extending from a few weeks to some months. This does away with the century-old convention of filling up the root canal, after it is cleaned up, with gutta percha, a rubber derivative.
No need for implant
Since the AIIMS method induces tissue build up, chance of saving the infected tooth is greater, precluding the need for an implant or other artificial object in the mouth. A research paper, titled ‘SealBio: A novel, non-obturation endodontic treatment based on concept of regeneration’, authored by Dr. Naseem Shah and Dr. Ajay Logani, and published in Journal of Conservative Dentistry, dated October-December 2012, details the procedure. It cites 18 case studies, of patients ranging from 15-76 years, with severely infected teeth. Activating stem cells involves ‘over-instrumentation into the periapical region’ with a very fine surgical needle so as to induce bleeding. Subsequently, the cavity in the crown is restored, and a thorough follow up of cases is done over the following months. Healing of lesions, as their size decreases, and increase in bone and cementum density is documented via X-rays. All cases showed excellent healing.
This excerpt demystifies the method so that even a lay person can understand it: “Apical cleaning, apical foramen widening and over instrumentation into periapical region were done to induce bleeding near apical foramen. It is hypothesised that the clot formed provides a scaffold into which locally residing stem cells can get seeded and the cascade of healing process can initiate.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- European Hematology Association - ALPINE Study Reveals Superior Safety and Efficacy of Zanubrutinib Compared with Ibrutinibon June 11, 2021 at 12:47 am
Inhibition of B-cell receptor signaling via Bruton tyrosine kinase (BTK) has been a breakthrough for the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma (CLL/SLL). Zanubrutinib is ...
- Karolinska Development’s portfolio company Promimic evaluates the possibility of a listing on Nasdaq First North Growth Marketon June 10, 2021 at 11:39 pm
Karolinska Development AB (Nasdaq Stockholm: KDEV) announces today that its portfolio company Promimic is evaluating the possibility of a listing of the company's share on Nasdaq First North Growth ...
- Click, swab, solve? The ambitious plan to identify 142 sets of human remainson June 10, 2021 at 6:30 am
The relatives of people who have gone missing are being asked to provide DNA samples to help locate missing family members.
- A safer, low dose of laughing gas may be enough to help some patients with major depression, study findson June 9, 2021 at 11:02 am
A small trial suggests a low dose of nitrous oxide could help improve depressive symptoms in patients with a severe form of depression.
- Cbd Oil Dentiston June 8, 2021 at 10:40 am
As cbd oil dentist the former president of Chrysler Motors of the United States said Never Able to make major decisions without choice. Despite kannaway cbd oil such optimistic predictions, Shell ...
- Readers and Tweeters React to Racism, Inequities in Health Careon June 2, 2021 at 2:00 am
My question is, What is the health industry doing to alleviate the scourge that destroys the minds and bodies of people of color? Publishing a meaningful article on the Pean family is not enough. Care ...
- Henry Schein (HSIC) Clinches HHS Deal for COVID-19 Supplieson June 1, 2021 at 1:03 pm
Henry Schein, Inc. HSIC recently made a major breakthrough in the line of pandemic response on achieving a $53.4-million national stockpile contract. The contract has been formed with the U.S.
- Insisting upon advance fee, bank guarantee for Entire MBBS Course during admission is Illegal: Rajasthan HCon June 1, 2021 at 7:19 am
Jodhpur: In a breakthrough judgment, the Rajasthan High Court has held that levying of advance fees and asking for bank guarantee worth the entire MBBS course fees for 3.5 years from ...
- CareCru Appoints Terry Burns as Vice President of Saleson June 1, 2021 at 6:56 am
PRNewswire/ - CareCru, the creator of Donna®, a virtual dental practice assistant, announced the appointment of Terry Burns as Vice President of Sales ...
- DentalMonitoring Continues to Disrupt the Orthodontic Market With AI-powered Solutions for Braces and Aligners of All Brandson June 1, 2021 at 3:15 am
DentalMonitoring continues to disrupt the orthodontic market with AI-powered solutions for braces and aligners of all brands.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Breakthrough Understanding of Limb and Organ Regeneration – Closer to the Development of Regenerative Medicine Therapieson June 11, 2021 at 11:54 am
Discovery in Salamanders by James W. Godwin, Ph.D., brings science closer to the development of regenerative medicine therapies. Many salamanders can readily regenerate a lost limb, but adult mammals, ...
- ISS National Lab to Host Session at World Stem Cell Summit on Regenerative Medicine in Low Earth Orbiton June 11, 2021 at 9:11 am
ISS National Lab to Host Session at World Stem Cell Summit on Regenerative Medicine in Low Earth Orbit. Press Release From: Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) ...
- Excellence in Health Care: Michael Geraci, Geraci Spine and Sports Medicineon June 11, 2021 at 3:00 am
Dr. Michael Geraci is a physician and physical therapist at Geraci Spine and Sports Medicine. This Williamsville practice is focused on the treatment of spine, sports and musculoskeletal disorders and ...
- iTolerance, Inc., a Company Pioneering Regenerative Medicine Without Immunosuppression, Announces Leadership Teamon June 9, 2021 at 6:51 am
Company advancing regenerative cell therapy platform technology with broad utility toward first-in-man study; Lead product candidate, ITOL-101, for the treatment of Type 1 Diabete ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market 2021 Analysis and Leading Competitors – Vericel, Gilead Sciences, Novartis, Spark Therapeuticson June 9, 2021 at 6:44 am
The Regenerative Medicine Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.27% and is poised to reach US$XX Billion by 2027 as compared to US$XX Billion in 2020. The factors leading to this extraordinary ...
- National Center for Regenerative Medicine expands institutional membershipon June 9, 2021 at 4:27 am
MetroHealth System joins Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals partnership The National Center for ...
- Restoring Vision To The Blind. Regenerative Medicine Offers New Hope For Retinitis Pigmentosaon June 8, 2021 at 7:57 am
Imagine gradually losing your vision over the course of forty years, waking up every morning with a tiny bit more of your peripheral vision grayed out, until you succumb to complete blindness as more ...
- Essent Biologics Launches Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells For Regenerative Medicine, Biopharmaceutical And Cell Therapy Researchon June 8, 2021 at 4:27 am
Essent Biologics™, a nonprofit biotechnology company setting a new standard in human-derived biomaterials and comprehensive data for research, today announced the launch of its human mesenchymal stem ...
- The regenerative medicine market size to grow at a CAGR of around 30% during the period 2020-2026on June 3, 2021 at 10:05 pm
In-depth Analysis and Data-driven Insights on the Impact of COVID-19 Included in this Global Regenerative Medicine Market Report. The regenerative medicine market size to grow at a CAGR of around 34% ...
- Innovative Regenerative Medicine Therapies – Patient Safety Comes Firston June 3, 2021 at 9:25 am
Cellular-derived therapies offer the potential to treat or even cure diseases or conditions for which few effective treatment options exist.